Returning with different furkid

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MikeK, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeK

MikeK Member

Well, we decided to check on our 11 year old Buddy. While he was using the litter box we got a sample of his urine with a keto-diastix. The keytones showed none, but his glucose was off the scale (dark brown). :eek: We then took a reading of his blood and got 286. This is after a morning meal how ever. First all, his glucose stick tests always showed good for months, no indication of anything. Including his blood tests. He is a tad over weight, but seems to be in good spirits, etc. Should we take a few more tests for the next 24 hours or have the vet look him over? :?:

April who was the subject of this board about a year ago is so far so good! :D

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would do mini cure. Test before meal, then 2-3 hours after and again 5-6 hours after meal. I would also continue to test urine. Maybe the previous measurements were an abnormality. Also, make sure eating low-carb canned food.

3. MikeK

MikeK Member

Well, testing every few hours is not possible. We work the late afternoons shifts thru the week. So I guess we will have to test him when we get home tonight. Thanks!

Oh, he is eating low carb and grain free foods.

4. MikeK

MikeK Member

Checked again but this ones also a guesser.

OK, 10 AM, got another test on him though there was still some food left over from me coming home last night so I guess this one's a guesser too. Was 297, it was 286 the last time. So, yeah it went up. Crap. The vet really wanted me to wait till Wed to test him again but I wanted to check anyway. Having to work afternoons till midnight and not getting home till 1 kind of makes balancing feeding and checking a toughie since I leave food out for them in case I have to work a double. I don't have anyone I can contact that late anymore to check on them in case I'm working an all nighter. I guess when I get home and everyone has some Dad's home food I will have to take up anything left and test when I get up. He's happy and on my lap as I type this. He is my boy! :mrgreen:

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Get checks in whenever you can so you can at least see if he stays in the 200 range or not.

You may want to have the vet run a fructosamine test, so you can see the average BG for the past couple weeks and that along with your spot checks will tell you whether he is diabetic or not.

6. MikeK

MikeK Member

Buddy sat on my lap at the computer while we gave him a stick tonight just after I got home (12:30 AM) to check his glucose. He was so good the whole time!

It was 221, a big drop since the last two tests of upper 280's - 90's. :D

Maybe we will get lower ones tomorrow! Prayers we do!

Thanks all for your help so far. We do so appreciate you all!

7. MikeK

MikeK Member

What the heck, it's up to 289 this 10:30 morning! He had a some food maybe about 6AM (maybe five or six bite left) but not a lot. And he was at rest most of the morning though he was active at trying to make me get up to feed him. :!:

8. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

BGs are going to vary with time of day and time since meals....I'm sorry that the number hadn't improved though!

9. MikeK

MikeK Member

2/23 - Did another I'm home test. On my lap, did real good with the stick. At 12:22 AM it was 175! So, I hope this roller coaster starts to pan out. Dad is getting goofy!

2/24 - 2:30 PM; OK, Vet contacted me and said to continue monitoring. Buddy is not drinking a lot or eating at every turn (but is a serious eater none the less) but to look for other issues too. Doc said that if it starts to hang in the high 200's or into the 300's to let him know and Buddy will see the doc.

2/25 - It has been going up and down. This morning was 147 (11:15 am) before food, before I went to bed last night (12:35 am) it was 144. He has hit the lower 300's only once, but has been around the upper 200's a few times. I guess for now it's watch and feed carefully.

Thank you all for your support and help thus far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.