Rex has decided to be "special" too--- DEFINITELY hyperT

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

Took Rex into the vet's this morning. He's been drinking/peeing/yelling for food constantly/overgrooming. Sounded like hyperT to me (his bg was 61 when Meg took it a couple days ago), and his vet agrees (pending labwork of course).

He's lost some weight (about 3 pounds since last year) but still has good muscle tone, she hears a grade 3 heart murmur, he needs a dental (always has issues since his teeth are angled wrong and food gets stuck), and there's a palpable nodule on his thyroid. Drew blood and urine for a complete workup including T4 and I will start to look into I131 places in my area just in case. Yay (?) something new to learn about!

So I guess this leaves me with Santana and Taylor who are not special needs... wonder what they have planned? ohmygod_smile

Rex:

[​IMG]

2. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

Re: Rex has decided to be "special" too--- hyperT

I dont have any advice, but i do have a question. what is hyperT??

3. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

4. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Maybe he felt left out???

Another good link for hyperT... http://www.gcvs.com/page3/page66/page66.html

My only suggestion is make sure you can find a i-131 place that does technetium scans beforehand. Did he have the heart murmur before? Hyper T can create heart problems. Hopefully his heart isnt too bad. I believe that some i-131 places may decide some heart kitties are not good candidates.

Sending lots of good vibes. Conor sez, "da RaydioAktive ting iznt sew bad...bud I missed da mommabean."

5. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Quick! Before the other two decide they need to get themselves a special need or two, shower them with attention and tell them that they are special just for being themselves.

I hope it all goes well with Rex

6. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

ahhh poop! doesn't he know better than to be a copy cat!

7. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

bummer. sorry about that. 3 of our cats were diagnosed with hyperT this year.
    harry is the latest (among other ailments he has), and the tapazole has helped him right away. he's put a little more weight on and seems sturdier. definitely important to start them on meds asap because you don't want more heart trouble added to the mix.
    hope the murmur was just due to stress...

8. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

T4 results:

28.8 (reference range 0.8 - 4.0). We'll start him on Tapazole then recheck T4 and kidney levels in a month.

Lisa, I'm not sure there are any centers near me that do the scan... but there may be (I've just started looking into it). He didn't have a heart murmur before and she's hoping it wasn't anything significant.

Glad to hear the Tap showed a quick positive difference in Harry, Chris... I can only hope Rex will do likewise. Mostly I just want the grooming grooming grooming grooming to stop!

Thanks for the advice and support!

9. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

When I was looking into technetium scans for Cole, I was having a really hard time finding a place to do it in the mid-atlantic area. It seems to me, there was a place in NY state that would do the t-scan. Ah... let's see. It's http://www.hypurrcat.com/index2.html .

Also I wanted to say that Rex is stunning! What a face! And he looks very,very regal in that pose. The name certainly fits.

laur

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.