Rex is not well... Honey is improving daily (both hyperT)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

My vet ran a free T4 on Honey because she couldn't believe that she wasn't hyperthyroid with her weight (partially due to extreme starvation) and the whopper of a nodule on her thyroid (her T4 was just below middle range). So she will be starting Tapazole (5mg daily) with a recheck in 4-6 weeks. She's started to gain some weight already (almost a pound!!) and has broken the 5 pound mark! so hopefully this will help even more. She's settled into our home really well... to the point that she's decided that when the coffee starts brewing at 5:25 am she needs to come into my room and announce it! Silly little sweet thing!

Rex.... basically, he's declining rapidly and I'm scared for him. He's lost another half pound and is down to 9 lbs 9 oz (he should weigh about 13 pounds), which makes over 3.5 pounds in 7.5 weeks. He isn't eating, his fur has lost its lustre and his eyes are sunken. His vet wants me to stop all Tapazole (which he hadn't shown any side effects from except weight loss-- peeing/drinking/overgrooming had really improved) and see if that gets him eating... but she's really more concerned that his kidneys are shutting down. Unfortunately, due to my work schedule I can't get him in until Monday. Of course, if I have to I'll take him to the ER, but that's not a place I want to return to... it's where I lost Fletcher just one month and one day ago...

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

(((Carolynn)))

3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for Rex. and some for you too.
    jeanne

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Goodness what a bundle of good and bad news.
    I am glad to hear Honey is doing so well, and want to say I am pulling for Rex to make some turnaround soon.

5. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Regarding Honey, her T4 was good and fT4 showed hypert, to me that might tell me that her dose for Tap may be 2.5mg per day, but starting at 5mg may help bring her weight up fast so that would be good, but I'd retest that soon to avoid going too low. As long as she doesn't experience belly aches from the 5mg, then I'd stick with it for a short time, but definitely re-run that bloodwork once you see a comfortable weight gain.

Regarding the T-Rex, I adore that cat. Dry EVO food may help his appetite and weight loss. It's like candy at my house. By stopping his Tap now and doing tests next week, his kidney values may be better than they were on the Tap. The increased metabolism helps keep the kidneys flushed. Be aware of that in case the kidney values come back normal or close to normal. Maybe on Tap, the kidney values would be worse.

My kidney cats have usually presented with bad coats, weight loss that seems to make the spine really pop out a lot and the hips feel really boney. How's Rex's overall weight loss been? One area, easy to notice or feel, or is it a suprise when they pop him on the scale and tell you he's lost weight?

I ask that question because for Tucker, he lost a lot of weight, but it was all over, I would not had known if he wasn't going to the vet. After over 4 pounds were gone, and the potassium crash we figured out his weight loss issue. For that reason, I'd suggest checking the electrolytes as well as kidney values next week.

My vet does kidney values separte then electrolytes, in case yours does that too, ask if they are checking both.

Will you be starting subq fluids for T-Rex? Getting fluids may increase his appetite. You could also talk to the vet about adding an appetite stimulant for a little bit. Spunky, Keesha and Gett would sometimes stop eating for no reason, only deli ham would get them going again, never did know why they'd stop, but they always stopped at the same time.

6. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Agree -- if Honey pukes shortly after getting the pill, reduce the dose.

My Buster also had "normal" T4 but high Free T4 -- he started on 1.25 mg (1/4 pill). That was enough for about a year, then symptoms were creeping back -- so a few months ago, he needed an increase.
    We found 2.5 mg was too much at one time, and even split BID (pukes). He now is getting 1/4 pill in the morning and 1/8 pill in the evening, and doing pretty well.

7. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

Thank you gals.

The goal with Honey is to definitely get her to a healthy weight as safely and quickly as possible. She got her first dose this morning and thought getting that treat was about the best thing in the world!

Jenn, thanks for the reminder about the values. That's definitely something to keep in mind. With this weight loss, it's very noticeable-- his spine and hip bones are sticking out and you can see them at a glance. He's lost about 20% of his weight in 8 weeks. I've tried kitten chow, Wellness Core dry, tuna, Temptations... to get him to eat. He turns his head. Last night he cuddled with me, but wouldn't get out of bed for breakfast.

Thanks for the hugs and advice.... I'll keep you posted...

8. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Oh Carolynn
    I had no idea Rex was doing this!!!! With him not eating - has there been any mention of giving an appetite stimulant??? Mirtazapine??? Did wonders for 2 of my cats! WHAT are his liver function tests? I only ask as we have gone thru this with 2 of our kitties in the last few months! i know for me I always focused/thought first on kidney, thyroid but always forgot about the liver! Turned out they both had elevated LFT's and that's a whole "nother treatment! Please let me know! I'm on my cell phone all day. If it hadn't of been for Lynee and Max - I don't know that Simba and thus Boris would still be with me!

9. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

One more thought on Rex. Could his not eating be related to the loss of Fletcher and now Honey joining the family? I know he's not an overly sensitive guy like Tucker, but maybe two big changes have bothered him. Like I said, just a thought.

10. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

Does your vet think the tap. is causing him not to eat? Like it is too much and he may be hypo-t? If it is the kidneys, can he have some pepcid a/c for the possible stomach acid associated with that? I really do hope he improves soon. Please keep us posted.
    And of course, I almost forgot to mention, I am so happy Honey is doing so well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.