RFID cat door for "Tuffy"?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gator & H (GA), Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

All,
    Been traveling a little and here with the fam in Indy. Here we have the most amazing barn cat/"feral" "Tuffy." He lived on his own [no food or support out in the barn for 3-4 years before becoming lame and yelling for medical attention at the back door. He must have been someone's kitty at one time. We had him "vetted" and have sort of adopted him. Wish we could have him "vetted" again. He is causing stress for H's half brother who is getting idiopathic cystitis. They are in a male-off contest despite both being neutered now. Tuffy is such an amazing cat - like a dog almost - and smart, smart, smart. Follows us everywhere outside, loves being rubbed on, doesn't bite, loyal to the litterbox when it has been necessary. I think he will even sit and I might just be dreaming but I think he will also lay down!!! Crazy.

But to the point. I need to find a cat door that will read RFID chips. The damn coons [raccoons not Maine Coons] keep getting into his outdoor accessible "office" - the workshop - despite us putting up some lexan with a 4" hole cut in it for his "door." There must be some way to have a cat door that will read an RFID tag to let only him in. Any ideas, success/failure stories?

Anyone want an awesome, seemingly healthy [no FeLv no FIV] cat [that has to be outdoors at least part of the time]? He needs a real home so bad. :YMSIGH: Would be great with kids. A total lover.

Thanks for the ideas.

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

My parents had the same problem with coons and opossums getting into the garage where the cat food was left out all day for the indoor/outdoor cats.

their solution -- letting the cat use a window instead of a door -- they put a platform out from the window sill that their cats could jump up to, and the coons and possums could not.

Then in the window, they put some plywood with a ~6" diameter hole for the kitties to enter/exit through.

Note -- this window was on the rear of the building, so it was an extra 2 feet off the ground. they put a log near it for the cats to use. The coons and possums could not spring up the necessary 4 feet or so.

might take some trial and error to make it work.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have an infrared cat door installed in one of my bedrooms. It is the one in the link posted above. There is also one that uses a magnet on the collar but those magnets are bigger and heavier than the IR sender.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.