Ringo and family

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ringo is his name-o, Sep 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ringo is his name-o

Ringo is his name-o New Member

Hi all.
    So I'm new... obviously.
    Ringo was diagnosed in July just before I was due to leave town for a month. My hubby had to care for him. So for a few weeks he was under my care the vet made me feel like this would be an easy situation. We brought him in for weekly testing as I was told. His numbers were high. Dosage increase. Well while I was away and a friend was assisting with the evening shots and vet visits the dosage increased. When I returned the dosage increased. And now again. He is 13 lbs with 6u in the pm and 5 u at am. He is taking vetsulin. Eating glycobalance wet food twice a day and a little hills sensative stomach -that's what his brother/litter mate and sister eats-

I just figured out how to get blood for home testing.

He got feed and had his shot of 6u at 945. I tested him on a relion at 1045 and his numbers were 537.

Now forgive me but I know that's high but how does it relate to cat/humane numbers.

Does this possibly mean he is insulin resistant.

Someone suggested dosages in a 8 hr window instead of the 12.

Should I change to a different med?

Is there a better food for him?
    Do I do a curve thing?

What am I doing wrong. I want my furbaby healthy again .

Help and thank you...

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to you and Ringo. Glad you're learning to home test, that will help you to get Ringo regulated. Always test before you shoot to see if Ringo is high enough for a shot, and get a test or two whenever possible between shots to see how well the insulin is working. The 537 is a high number, but since it was taken after he ate but before the insulins onset, it's not unexpected. Your on a relatively high dose of Vetsulin, if you can set up a spreadsheet, it will help us to see if the dose is too high or too low.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    If you need help setting it up, just ask and someone will do it for you.
    I'm not familiar with the food you're feeding, most of us feed an over the counter low carb wet food like Fancy Feast Classics Pate, or other Pate type foods that do not contain grains, potatoes or other high carb ingredients. Come on over to the Main Health forum and ask your questions, there are more eyes there to help you get answers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.