Ripley's Tribute

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Josie & Ripley (GA), Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josie & Ripley (GA)

Josie & Ripley (GA) Well-Known Member

Previous condo.

It has been a week since Will and I helped Ripley fly free.
    We miss her immensely but know in our hearts it was the right time for her to start her next chapter.

Ripley came into my life in 1998. A good friend's cat gave birth to four females on Tax Day and I knew I was eventually going to take one home. I met them when they were one day old. I had picked out the littlest kitten, Lucy. The day Lucy was old enough for me to bring home, my friend started to explain that she had been able to find homes for only three kittens. I told her I'd take the fourth one before she finished her thoughts; that was Ripley.

Ripley was never a cutesy "kitten-like" kitten ~ she was awkward, clumsy, and squawked instead of mewed. Most people mistook her for a male kitty throughout her whole life. She had a tomboyish aura. And she stole my heart. Lucy was independent and affectionate on her own terms; Ripley was a mama's girl and loved being a lap-kitty. Ripley was never a big huntress; Lucy would bring home various presents (lizards, mice, etc.) and Ripley would bring me her favorite toy. My connection with both kitties was a strong one. They moved around town with me into several different apartments; I always had to keep them under the radar, for I was not able to find landlords who allowed cats.

When Will and I found this house 10 years ago, my two girls and his cat Smokey became roommates. Soon after, we rescued Marley, a big dog with a heart the size of the world. Marley and Ripley had similar personalities and got along better than any of the three cats did. Lucy crossed the bridge three years ago and Ripley became My One And Only. And when Ripley was diagnosed with feline diabetes last year (and later CKD and anemia), my bond with her deepened in a whole new, wonderful way.
    Ripley became my best teacher.
    She helped me learn about patience and love.
    And patience.
    And how to live in the present.
    And patience.

I have too many photos to share here, but I chose some favorites for several slide shows. There's no music attached, and each is about a minute long.

Ripley's life, from kitten-hood on. I think she aged quite well:
    [youtube]/-n0WYmLRhJQ[/youtube]

Two peas in a pod:
    [youtube]/GY1xwlWx-zo[/youtube]

Her favorite part of the day. There's a short video at the end:
    [youtube]/zukwXpWRW5A[/youtube]
    (I had many short videos of Ripley to choose from; almost each one begins with her basking or doing something cute and ends with her noticing me, walking up to me, and headbutting the camera.)

Although I'm writing in honor of Ripley, it's this board that I also want to recognize with my whole heart. You all had an important role in helping my girl thrive and become healthy. Without you, Will and I wouldn't have been able to enjoy a whole extra year of good-quality life with Ripley. And what a year it was. You held my hand when I was scared and trying to make sense of her FD diagnosis and treatment. You became her cheerleaders and embraced her with love and compassion. And you shared and felt our loss when we let her go. Thank you. Each and every one of you.

My favorite hat model:
    [​IMG]

And finally, a rare audio recording of her famous squawks:
    [youtube]/0WaxFzNaEcw[/youtube]

I will always, always love you, my sweet girl.

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Josie, that is a wonderful tribute to a special girl. I'm so glad you got a recording of her cute squawk. That is just another part of her specialness. Thank you for sharing Ripley with us. You were a wonderful mom to her and did the most loving thing in letting her go. You will eventually have more smiles than tears as you think of Ripley.

Fly free sweet Ripley. :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

What a fine tribute you wrote.

Makes me sigh, and feel the love.

Thanks for sharing her story. I'm sure she is with Marley, her buddy, and looking down on your right now.

4. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

Those little hat pictures are adorable. What a sweet baby.

5. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for posting Ripley's stories and the tributes. I have been thinking about you. Ripley was a very special girl and you could tell how much she was loved by you and Will and Marley. Please know that my heart is with you. ((((Josie))))

6. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

What a beautiful tribute to heaven's beautiful little angel. Ripley and Marley were truly two peas in a pod - I love how they often mirrored eachothers positions! How is Marley doing without his sweet little girl?

She may have been a tomboy kitty, but she sure could wear hats like royalty! And it is so wonderful that you were able to catch the audio of her charming little squawk.

Thank YOU, Josie, for sharing Ripley with us. We have all been blessed.

7. Cleo & Jane (GA)

Cleo & Jane (GA) Well-Known Member

What a wonderful tribute to beautiful Miss Ripley. You really made her personality shine through with her story and pictures (and the squawk). I love the bond between Ripley and Marley. Made my morning, Josie :YMHUG: :YMHUG: cat_pet_icon

8. Kim & Twice

Kim & Twice Well-Known Member

(((Josie)))
    What a truly beautiful tribute to Ripley and your love for her. Such a special and unique little girl, from her little clumsiness to her sweet squawks, and being such a sweet little mama's girl being your hat model. I thank you for sharing her life with us, letting us get to know her and love her, and for allowing us the opportunity to say goodbye to her and grieve with you.
    Not a day has gone by that you are not in my thoughts. :YMHUG:

9. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Josie ~ What a wonderful tribute to Ripley. What a very sepcial kitty she was, right down to her squawk. I love the squawk. The photos and video were so nice. Thanks you for sharing her with us, letting us grieve with you. She will always remain in all our hearts. Peace be with you all. We all miss you Ripley.

10. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

:YMHUG: A wonderful tribute. Thanks for sharing

11. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Josie))) what a beautiful tribute to your sweet girl, Ripley. I love hearing how she came into your life, along with Lucy, then Smokey and Marley. You gave her such a wonderful life filled with love and happiness and Ripley to you. Love hearing about the other furbabies, Lucy, Marley and Smokey. Ripley and Marley look like best buds, so adorable together. Love the videos and seeing Ripley modeling her famous hats. She really enjoyed those hat as if to say "look at me." Oh that adorable squawk. :D Ripley is forever in your heart. Hugs and love to you. :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

12. Katie & Mego (GA)

Katie & Mego (GA) Member

Josie, I have been thinking about you a lot these last days. What a beautiful tribute to your dear sweet Ripley. I love that she had a "tomboy" attitude and all of your photos and videos are priceless! I wish I had more of Mego. It's very clear how much you love your darling Ripley and that love will never cease. Sending you healing vines and many hugs. :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

13. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Josie, that's a beautiful to not only Ripley, but to Marley as well. I especially enjoyed Ripley's squawking. :D Thank you for sharing those videos. They made me smile. :D

14. Amy & Papaya (GA)

Amy & Papaya (GA) Well-Known Member

Josie, what a beautiful tribute to Ripley. I enjoyed watching the videos and especially all the pics of "sun cat". You gave her such a wonderful, contented life. Thank you for sharing your memories :YMHUG:

15. Pam & Hoot

Pam & Hoot Well-Known Member

Awwww, sweet Miss Rippers ♥♥♥
    That was a beautiful tribute Josie, thanks so much for sharing her life with us.
    I love her little face, her big eyes, her cute puffy cheeks and her famous Squawking :D
    She was a special girl and I feel very blessed to have had met her ♥

16. Rachel & Chyna (GA)

Rachel & Chyna (GA) Well-Known Member

((((Josie and Will)))). I've been thinking of you a lot. What a beautiful tribute! I love the hats. I will have to watch the videos at home, I'm blocked at work :sad: Ripley was a wonderful, amazing kitty. Thanks so much for sharing her with all of us. Sending many, many hugs :YMHUG:

17. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

(((Josie)))
    What a beautiful tribute to Ripley.
    I can feel your love for her from how you described her personality and bond you shared and also from all those beautiful photos.
    Such a special girl. We all miss your sweet Ripley.
    Sending love and prayers to you and Will. :YMHUG:

18. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Dear Josie,
    What a wonderful tribute to your girl. I loved seeing her beautiful face, hearing her famous voice, and seeing her enjoying all that life has to offer. Thank you for posting these treasured pictures.
    Thinking of you, Will, and Marley. We all miss Miss Ripley.

Hugs (for you and Will) and pats (for Marley),

Ella & Rusty

19. Nancy&Pepper (GA)

Nancy&Pepper (GA) Well-Known Member

What a beautiful tribute to Ripley. I loved the photos and videos. She looks so happy in every one. You gave her a wonderful life.

20. MrZ

MrZ Well-Known Member

Josie, thank you for sharing your memories of Ripley. She had such a wonderful life, full of so much love. Your tribute warms my heart. I loved your avatar picture of her - those beautiful big eyes and lovely spirit, shinning through. I will always remember your beautiful Ripley - the "cat in the hat".

Wishing you peace in knowing she's no longer in pain. My sincerest condolences.

Fly free, sweet little Ripley. o:)

21. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

(((((Josie))))) Thank you for posting Ripley's tribute. Such a wonderful life she had with you and Will and Marley and Lucy and Smokey. Wow, that really is a squawk! :lol: :lol:
    Liz

22. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

Oh (((((Josie))))) I am so, so sad to learn of Ripley's passing to The Bridge. I'm sending you lots of hugs and prayers for you and your family :YMHUG:

23. Dale 'n' Chip

Dale 'n' Chip Well-Known Member

The extra year was such an amazing gift.

And an inspiration for us as well. o:)

24. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

So sorry for the loss of Ripley! Just like yesterday that I've met you two on the board. I'm not here often & it's so sad to see this. Take care Josie. Hugs!

25. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

((((Josie))) Thank you for sharing that special tribute to Ripley with us. She was truly a special girl and so well loved. I loved the pictures of her in the sun, and will always think of her whenever I hear someone use the word "basking".

26. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

What a wonderful tribute you have done for Ripley .. Thank you for sharing it, and her, with us ..

27. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

What an awesome tribute to a very special friend.

You gave Ripley a wonderful life, and she gave you her soul...there can be no better trade.

Thank you for sharing her with us!

28. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

((((Josie and Will))))

Thank you so very much for sharing Ripley with us this past year and in this amazing, tear-jerking, incredible, lovely tribute. I love all the pictures but especially the ones with Marley where they both have paws crossed, the close-ups of her beautiful face and big eyes, and the Sun Girl photos. And I love her squawk!! Oh Ripples Dipples, how we all miss you. For you and Ripley by ee cummings

I carry your heart with me (I carry it in my heart)
    I am never without it (anywhere I go you go, my dear:
    And whatever is done by only me is your doing, my darling)
    I fear no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet)
    I want no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
    And it’s you are whatever a moon has always meant
    And whatever a sun will always sing is you

Here is the deepest secret nobody knows
    (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
    and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
    higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
    and this is the wonder that’s keeping the stars apart

I carry your heart (I carry it in my heart)

Ripley and Gussie are in the best place now.....Ripley is showing him all her hats and he's marveling at the fact that she has ears to hold them up. [​IMG]

29. lovey11

lovey11 Well-Known Member

Jose and Will. What a beautiful and touching tribute to your Ripley. Her pictures and squawk are soo cute. I hope as time goes on you will find some comfort in her memories and the good life and care that you gave her.

30. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

What a beautiful tribute! I love hearing how she came into your life. I know how hard it is to lose your furbaby. I am sure she is smiling down on you right now. My condolences to you and Will.

31. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I love her cats with hats photo shoot. And her squawk.
    Sending you hugs. :YMHUG:

32. Josie & Ripley (GA)

♥♥♥THANK YOU so much, everyone, for the visits, the love and the well-wishes. You all helped with the ups and downs associated with the FD dance, and are continuing to help with current ups and downs.

I wish everyone a Happy Holiday, and extra hugs for those who've recently lost loved ones (and not-so-recently, too).
    :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

33. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Josie, I know it's not easy, but I hope you and Will can have a good Christmas. Keeping you both in my prayers. :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

34. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

The love you have for your girl is palpable. What a loving tribute. She was very lucky to have you, as I'm sure you know. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know it has to be unbearable!!

35. asoolty

asoolty Well-Known Member

Josie, I'm sorry I wasn't there for you .. my heart went out to see this .. sweet Ripley's joined Noni to the bridge, I remember you saying your expecting this anytime and how worried you were. I feel your pain, even though I had another cat .. Noni will never be forgotten, it needs time to accept .. but never forget !

stay strong ... we are all here with you .. I will light a candle for Ripley tonight !

36. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful kitteh. Fly free sweet Ripley.

37. Anne&Muffin (GA)

Anne&Muffin (GA) Well-Known Member

What a lovely tribute to Ripley. I'm so very sorry for your loss Josie. :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

38. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

39. RichNW & Rex

RichNW & Rex Well-Known Member

Josie - I loved all the pictures!

I especially love the pictures of Ripley and Marley together!
    Ripley was so lucky!!!

Thoughts and Prayers go out to you! Hugz!!!

40. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

That was a beautiful tribute! Loved the slideshows and video where she head butts the camera. ((((I'm so sorry Josie.)))) Ripley was one lucky kitty to have been adopted by you.

41. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

what a wonderful tribute, josie. Watched all the pics and the squawk! she loved her little patch of sun, didn't she?!

thanks for sharing a bit of her personality with us - she was a special little one.

and she was lucky to have you adopt her at the very beginning!

42. Josie & Ripley (GA)

♥Thank you♥ everyone.
    I appreciate all of the continuing thoughts, hugs, and love.
    Though there have been too many recent losses in LL, it's comforting to know that our GAs are always with us ♥

I planted some flowers in our backyard yesterday, where Ripley and her sister Lucy are resting.
    The painted flowers on the fence mark where Lucy is ~ I'll paint Ripley's flowers sometime soon.
    It's good to see our girls getting sun each day ☼
    [​IMG]

43. Tonya and Tiki

Tonya and Tiki Well-Known Member

Oh Josie, what a wonderful tribute. I love, love, love these videos and yes I am once again wiping away the tears. I've been off-line since you posted this, busy with the holidays etc. but so glad I finally had the chance to see them. I am glad you have found comfort in the days since her passing and hope you were able to enjoy the holiday season. Happy New Year!

44. Deborah & Shasta

Deborah & Shasta Well-Known Member

What a beautiful resting spot for your girls. Many blessings to you and your family.

45. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Josie))) It's a beautiful resting spot for both girls. I love the pretty blue flowers for Lucy and can't wait to see Ripley's flowers. It's been a hard year with so many losses, and it is comforting to know they're always with us. Lots of hugs.

46. GraceAndAngie

GraceAndAngie Member

Dear Josie,
    I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. She was a beautiful girl with those big eyes. She looks like a gentle being.
    Big hugs,
    Grace

47. Pam & Hoot

Pam & Hoot Well-Known Member

Love the flowers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.