River is SO HUNGRY. Can I feed her more?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Paigeworthy, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Since River came home from the hospital she has been RAVENOUS. I'm guessing this is part of her body's response to the insulin — or the diabetes preventing complete absorption of the food's nutrients? (Maybe? I guess I could Google?)

I would love to just feed her until she's full, but I see so many cautionary tales about not overfeeding cats. What's the deal?

She's a fiendin' feline…

(Today's BG thread, for funsies.)

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

How much are you feeding and how often?

Paigeworthy likes this.
  3. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

The equivalent of about 260 kcal/day, as suggested by vet before she was dx. She now gets that in the form of about 2.5 cans of FF chicken or chicken/liver pet day, sometimes in two meals and sometimes in smaller meals throughout the day (if I’m home).

Plus occasional snacks of bonito flakes after I prick her ears because I love her and I think those are okay.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Those are fine!! Low carb, good protein!!

Each can is about 90 calories, so 2.5 would only be about 225....If you're shooting for 260, she could eat that other half

Until she's better regulated, she's going to want to eat more than a "normal" cat because her body can't use the nutrition she's getting. Her appetite should come down when her numbers do.

5. Jeff D / Sketch

Jeff D / Sketch Member

I'd say if River isn't overweight and/or if she has lost weight then go ahead and feed her more preferably in smaller portions several times a day if you can. You just need to make sure that she hasn't eaten too much or too close to her test and shot times.
    When Sketch was first diagnosed and had high #s he would eat 6 to 8 cans or FF or glycobalance a day sometimes. Never gained weight but stayed 13.5lbs. As his numbers came down his appetite dropped a bit but still put away 4 cans a day.

6. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Get it, Sketch!!!
    River's just a tiny girl. I feel like she could just eat all day.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.