Robbie 124 pre-shot post dinner

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RobbiesMom, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

OK so it's 7:15 - our night time shot time - Robbie has decided he doesn't really like his low carb wet food so he didn't eat much dinner - fed him at 5:30 but he was still fussing over it at 6:15ish. Read some more on the ear pricking and did the hot cloth thing and got a bead - test results 124. NO INSULIN TONIGHT. He had his 1unit this morning - with no insulin and this number should I worry about it going lower and test him at 9 or 10 or can I leave his ears alone? Thoughts? I have to add - he is playing with some toys he hasn't touched in months - he seems to feel quite well. It's amazing I'd forgotten how playful he is - it's been months since he's really felt well. Hope he gets to enjoy this state more now.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

wow, really makes you think does'nt it...all that time on 8U's and now it appears he is barely diabetic at all and will likely end up diet controlled. thank god for home testing!
    glad you did not shoot.
    he will not go too low now so you don't have to worry about that.
    if you want to test him in an hour or so to see if he's on the rise and shoot him then you can.
    or you can wait and test him in the morning.
    your call.
    considering his ears i might wait. if that were a non issue i would definetly check in an hour.

3. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

From your mouth to gods ears Lori - he was only on 8u's for 4 days so hopefully the vet and I didn't screw him up too much. I do find it amazing - since we've been lowering his dry food for over a year, would think he'd have had BS problems when we gave it to him all the time - well, first cutting back his dry i helped him lose 1.5 lbs than it it got him sick so he lost 4.5 more lbs, and felt awful for weeks on end - He's pretty sure he's lost more weight I hope that stops soon - thanks for the input.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

does that BS stand for blood glucose or bull s**t??? :lol:
    his wackie numbers from having insulin he likely did'nt need caused him to lose weight.
    insulin can actually raise bg's if there is too much of it...and with bg's too high the cells in his body can't absorb nutrition, etc. and poor thing looses the weight...he should gain it back in no time...along with his playful personality

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

whoa...did i just hear you say the vet screwed him up???? you did NOT just say those words did you? uh uhhhhh

6. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

awesome! and yes, definitely NO insulin on that number.

like lori said, you could test in a bit and if he's climbing high enough you can shoot then simply because the pzi insulins (prozinc, etc...) are flexible in that way but then you have to move the morning shot out by however many hours so if you don't have play room in tomorrow's morning shot schedule, just skip it tonight, give his ears a rest and you and hubby have some alone time ;-)

7. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

Lori sorry to keep correcting you but you're so quick and generous with your advice it would be great if you knew exactly what to base it on - he wasn't taking insulin when he lost the weight he lost 4.5 lbs before he was diagnosed - he'd had a blood work up right before the dramatic weight lost started that was perfect - except for some numbers that could have pointed to thyroid issues IF there were any symptoms (which at the time there were not - he was at the vet due to his asthma) so when we brought him back in almost 3 weeks later because I could tell something was wrong he started the dramatic loss of weight so thyroid was the first thing he was tested for - after that (a day after we got those results) he was tested for the diabetes - - or are you referring to what his body was producing to try and adjust? Yes, sorry BS =BG - my own chart from when I was first diagnosed says BS on one column - so... hard habit to break.
    I think the fact that he was taken off what had been becoming about a bi - monthly course of prednisone pills might also have contributed to things here - steriods can push humans and animals into diabetic states - at least according to my personal MD, the Vet and my acupuncturist. He has not had any pred. since late June/early July. That could be a small factor in all this too.
    As for the comment about the vet I was just beating you to the punch :razz:

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm sorry, I was just trying for comic relief. no unkindness intended. my bad.

9. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

Lori - there is no way to show inflection, intention or tone of voice in postings - it can cause all sorts of issues - I know you are just trying to be helpful you have proven that. thank you

10. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

I need to go on here and pull all the numbers off since I have been logging them in here but not writing them down in one spot for myself - just to keep that info out here and available to me.

Robbie today

8am - about 30 minutes after some food (a bit of dry and a small amt of wet) tried to get him pre-breakfast ... he's smarter than I am. registered 333 on the meter. Gave him a "light" 2 units (more like 1.75) . He got a treat of a very small amt of the dry hairball food he loves. (I'm sure high in carbs - have to check how high but I know high). Trying to woo him into being good about the shots - this morning was an ordeal.

6:15 - had to go to a work function - tested him almost RIGHT after he ate dinner (low carb high protein wet) 154 NO SHOT tonight

9pm - back from work function - gave it a shot to see if I could get some blood easily - he was actually a very good boy - registered 178 - this is over 3 hours after dinner. He seems good. Going to try really hard to get him before he gets ANY food tomorrow 7amish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.