Robbie at 42

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RobbiesMom, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

Probably not many on during a weekend day - but if you're out there and have some advice I'd appreciate it.
    This am Robbie was 253 - I believe due to the fact that I stupidly let him eat some dry food last night - he's been doing very well - all 110ish numbers and no insulin in 2 days and the night before that only .40 all day - so at 250+ I'm supposed to give him 2U but 253 is hardly over 250 and considering I was sure this was dry food induced and if he didn't have any would wear off I gave him 1.25 approx (might have been a tad less or a tad more) - he ate a good breakfast lots of wet and I ran out to a work event - came back around +3.5 and tested him - and he's 42. No other symptoms but he's sluggish or rather SLOW just not perky like he's been. Gave him about 1/2 vial of maple syrup most of which either was rubbed on his gums or dribbled down his chest - but got some in him and on his gums. He than ate about `1/2 can of FF salmon in gravey - but wouldn't eat the dry I offered. He's cleaning himself now and seems more perky than 30 minutes ago - going to test again shortly. xx

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

I'll be around for about an hour and then I have to go to the darn dentist but wanted to pop in and let you know someone is here. You know the drill. test, feed, test, feed.......and yeah, since it's only +3.5 you might have to do this for a couple hours probably

3. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

Thanks Cindy - yeah, so much for going out on the boat. Sorry bout the dentist. My own darn fault if you ask me - I hate to be learning all this at my cats expense. Called our vet who is with an emergency and closes at noon (it's 12:15 here not) but will be called before they close up and after the emergency.

4. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Keep testing every 20 to 30 min. That syrup with kick him up higher temporarily, so we need food in his system to keep him up. Try to give more food than syrup right now because we want him to surf up higher and not to have to give him syrup every 30 min to keep him there. I personally save the syrup for numbers below 40, but that is a personal choice for everyone's comfort level!

You were right to not give the higher dose with the higher number this morning because it is artificially high due to the dry food. After today's scenario, you now know to give an even smaller dose if the am # is artificially high due to carbs again. Keep posting back and I'll keep checking in on you!

5. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi Ellen,,
    your doing fine-maple syrup purrfect :mrgreen:

Like has been said. test, feed, repeat.

I wouldn't give any dry. It takes too long to affect bg's and will throw your numbers way off. Better to have syrup and high carb wet food (25% good choice). This won't last in system as long and skew numbers but will work straight away (pretty much) and hold numbers up.

What insulin are you on-doesn't say anywhere?

6. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

sorry was on the phone with the vet - we are both learning a lot from this cat and this forum - --
    He is on ProZinc - Vet pretty much just repeated what you all said here - and advised NOT to give insulin unless he is in the high 200's or more ever again esp if I know it's from a dry food carb over load - just to test him and see where he goes, but if it pops up to 250+ without any dry to stick to .50 and see where that brings us- I need to do a curve - won't work today - . He was playing with his catnip mouse while I was on the phone so how bad can he be. I'm testing him again now - it's been a lot longer than 20 minutes will report back. He ate 1/2 can of FF with gravy (Salmon) and some tuna. No more syrup unless he is under 40 (I had been holding that for 40 also but 42 seemed pretty close - but that's why I didn't give him the dose rec. by the vet - gave him about half of it and like I said not all got in him).
    thanks

7. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

OK well, he POPPED right back up there - 127 - probably the syrup but that's high enough for me to think the food is helping too and he's on his way to a good spot. The test were about 45 minutes apart, in between which he had the syrup, some tuna with mayo (my lunch) and about 1/2 a can FF salmon with gravy.
    Will test again in 20-30 minutes. He's being a very good boy about the testing.

8. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

He's at a good number now, but that could be partly the syrup and may wear off, may not. Keep doing what you're doing, you have a very lucky cat :)

Looking forward to seeing how he responds.

9. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Re: Robbie at 42 -127

Good job :mrgreen:

Glad to see you didn't give the dry.

Once he is out of the woods, don't forget to take off the 911 icon.

10. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

you're looking good and have some good eyes helping so it's time for me to get dressed and go to the dentist. will check on ya when i get home

11. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

should I take 911 off now or wait till he's stable at a good number? I hate to drag everyone from their own business.

12. Kelly & Oscar

Go ahead and take the "911" off, unless he plumets back down for some reason. I would test again in at least an hour (or earlier) just to make sure that number holds. Oscar is the KING of wobbles - low number, feed = slightly higher, 2 hours later = low number, feed = slightly higher.....etc......

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hi ellen, i'm here too! i think you can take it off.
    did dr. rec. lowering dose regardless?
    i'm going to take a peek at your ss

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

well that was a moot point, looks like your apropriatly sliding scale with him.

15. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

an hour and 40 minutes past maple syrup and 42 and he is at 209. I'm thinking we are out of the woods - it is now almost +6 since the shot (I think I finally got the shot in him this morning about 7:40 but it might have been earlier - I started getting ready to test at 7:15 but he was using the litter and went under the bed to sleep and stuff so by the time I got him settled it was 7:30ish so the shot was shortly after that.

16. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

Hi Lori thanks -
    Yes, Vet says - he's on a good path I have to trust that his body is adjusting - sounds like the pancreas (sp?) is jumping back in to do it's job and I shouldn't interfere too much - going to see him on Wednesday - but he's pretty clear that I need to keep doses when absolutely needed pretty low - even though it took a while for him to react to the insulin at this point he's pretty sensitive to it and obviously is the poster cat for "NO DRY FOOD" - everyone who was making that point from day one please take a much deserved round of applause right now.
    Have to leave here in about 45 minutes so I will test him once more before I go and only leave if he is either still on the rise or stablizing.

17. Kelly & Oscar

Good to hear that he looks to be out of the woods. You also now know from this that he is carb/sugar sensitive - so a little goes a long way in raising his numbers!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

oh yeah, your so far out of the woods, i don't think i can see those woods anymore... :lol:
    pzi just doesn't really kick back in that hard at +6....anything that happens now his little body is doing on it's own.

19. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

glad to hear that ladies since my boss just called and wants me to run into town to deal with something (it's a big festival going on in Sag Harbor where I live) so I'm leaving hubby on cat watching duty but he's not going to be able to test - I should be back in an hour or so- I'm thinking he's fine - he's cat napping with is sister right now, very cute.
    Yes, more lessons learned - this learning curve is exhausting.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes hon, but soon the day will come when you will be able to go minutes, maybe an hour...without having to think about 'the cat'. :lol:

21. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

At +9.5 (little more than 9 hours since his morning shot) he is still 127 (his last number I took after the mini crash of 42) - so he's pretty stable right now - and having dinner.

22. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ellen if he went from 209 to 127 that my freind is a on the job mr. P.
    congragulations.
    probably not shot tonight :mrgreen:

23. Kelly & Oscar

Especially if he is bringing the #s down on his own pretty much. Anxiously awaiting that pmbg!

24. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

sorry gang got all caught up on work related things - but I did check him before I left again at about 7:15 (pmps) and he was 115 -obviously no shot - tried to check him at 10pm (+3) but found much to my dismay that I have 2 "pokers" left - need to check myself (kind of don't want to use it for me than for him even if I clean it off) and wanted to check him this am - the one I have in the "Gun" which I used earlier had some darkness on it - just didn't feel right cleaning and re-using (although I do it with myself from time to time). The box I thought was full was sitting empty in the closet - I am much less serious about all this stuff for me - so now that's it's Robbie I'll make sure I have backups. Can't believe how many strips and pins I've gone thur in the past few weeks -

SO this amps he is 102 - yes, that says 102 - NO shots and NO dry. He got some tuna as a treat and almost as much wet as he wanted last night (I don't know if it's ever enough when he's feeling good). How do I know he's really feeling better? He jumped up on to our bed as soon as we got in and settled down on my feet - he slept like that every night for about 5 years but when he started getting sick he didn't he slept by my side of the bed on the floor - as he's felt better he's crept up for part of the night here and there - but last night KABOOM he was up on the bed and was still there at 7am this morning. That's my boy!

25. Kelly & Oscar

Yay Robbie!!! Keep it up!

26. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

WHOO HOOOOO!

27. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

nice work, robbie and ellen!

celi & binks

28. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

I can't take much credit for this - if I hadn't found this website I might still be messing around with things and far away from pulling him off dry all together - and I never would have made it thru that first crash experience - I'd have been at the ER Vet running up a huge tab again I'm sure.
    :oops:

29. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ellen, take some credit..you put up with me telling you what to do! that alone makes you elidgeable for at least some credit :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.