Robin, how is Alex?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Heather & Angel (GA), May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heather & Angel (GA)

Heather & Angel (GA) Member

I'm worried that I haven't heard back from you.

2. cybermeez

cybermeez New Member

Alex Update

It has been a rough few days since my last post. After Alex's hypoglycemic episode following his first dose of 1 unit, I was all but certain I was going to have to make the decision to send my little pal to Rainbow Bridge. The plan was to give him a day and let his BG bounce back then try half a unit. I took Tuesday off from work, scoured the NY metro area for the 3/10cc needles and found them at Wal-Mart in White Plains (thanks to Claudia for the tip), so rented a car and I drove up and got them.

I took Alex to the vet Wednesday morning and went to work. The idea was to start him on 1/2 a unit of insulin and watch him throughout the day, but when they tested him before giving insulin his BG was around 225 (don't remember exactly). He spent the day there and they tested him again around lunch time and his BG was around 255, and again when I went to back him up at 5pm and it was 289.

Since his BG wasn't high enough to warrant the risks associated with his reaction to insulin in her judgment, the vet sent us home and told me to bring him back tomorrow and we'd try again. On Thursday morning when I measured his BG my meter said it was 127! I couldn't believe it; I still can't and am afraid this is just too good to be true. My meter is 15-20 points higher than the vet's so I generally deduct that from whatever reading I get on my meter.

So, I spent the yesterday and today monitoring his BG and this is what my actual, uncorrected meter readings were:
    5/5 @ 8:54am = 127
    5/5 @ 1:58pm = 145
    5/5 @ 6:04pm = 151
    5/6 @ 1:08pm = 175

It appears his BG is creeping up. Because of all his other problems (Mainly CRF) he's a free feeder and the testing wasn't specifically timed around when he ate. I don't know what to make of what's happening and have no idea where things will go. Is he producing some insulin again (or at least not resistant to it) because we took him of the 1/2 tablet a day of Prednislone? Did the hypoglycemia do something to jump start his pancreas? Is he showing this strange pattern of BG numbers because of his CRF and all his other health problems?

At the moment Alex doesn't need insulin and I hope things will continue that way, but I just don't know what the coming days hold. I love him more than anything in the world.

Robin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.