? Rom - Caninsulin (Vetsulin) dosing advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sue484, Mar 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Hi. I have been shooting Romulus 2 units twice a day, but the last couple of days, he has shown good numbers. Today at +4 he is 3.7 (67) on AlphaTrak. Do we use 68 as a reduction figure for Caninsulin like Lantus or not? Do you suggest I reduce to 1.5 in future? (He's on the VetPen, so no quarter doses)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  2. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

Yes and no. Since Canisulin is an in and out insulin it's dosing is based on the preshot number as well as the nadir number. I am basing this on prozinc but I believe it is similar because prozinc is also in and out but just lasts longer and has a more gradual effect over the course of the shot.

So after Fern went to 54 (human meter) on a preshot number of 293 I knew that 3 units at that PS number was too much and I reduced down to 2.5 units at that preshot number. I was still good to give 3u when he was over 400 though. (that appears to be going away as well after this morning).

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I would if it were my cat. When Saoirse was on Caninsulin I didn't want her below the mid-80s on Alphatrak: for the nature of the insulin I wanted at least that much of a cushion. I actually didn't feel comfortable if her BG dropped into double figures at all.

With such low nadirs I'd also be inclined to grab a few +2 tests to see how fast the dose is dropping Romulus and whether there is any risk of an earlier nadir than usual.

My two penn'orth.

Mogs

4. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

I was raising the dose for preshots if over a certain number but I noticed it took Rom a few cycles to settle down again, so now I am trialling keeping the same dose. I started only of the first of March and only had to do it once, but it worked then.

I still gave 2 units tonight as he was slightly higher than at AMPS, plus I never saw the above post!! He is still yellow at +5, so he seems good for tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.