Romeo's Insulin Dance

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by HuskerGyrl, Sep 5, 2018.

1. HuskerGyrl

HuskerGyrl Member

Starting a new thread so Romeo's advice doesn't get confused with Josie's... i was an interloper! :confused: :p

I'm going to take @Djamila's advice and drop his am shot to 1.75 this morning and see if that helps him settle throughout the day. He gave me a nice 135 at +9 so hopefully the amps is golden!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  2. HuskerGyrl

HuskerGyrl Member

Shot 1.75 on 147... I won't be home to retest until +3/+4'ish... but thereafter I have only a couple of appointments so it's a good day to monitor and see where he goes. Wouldn't a green nadir be lovely? :woot:

3. HuskerGyrl

HuskerGyrl Member

170 at +3 and 114 at +8 (tried to get home for nadir but I missed it)... came home to a tiny bit of bile puke, but it wasn't the diabetic'y puke that he usually kicks out if he gets too low -- so I'm going to be surprised if he bounces... but he could! My huntress Juliet ate a tiny gecko last night so it also very easily could've been her. (I saw the stupid thing 2 seconds before she did... not enough time to rescue it!) :(

4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

mmm.....gecko....:cat::p

5. HuskerGyrl

HuskerGyrl Member

Ha! So gross. They used to drag birds in through the kitty door too, and 'play' with them all day long. Fortunately, I can't remember the last time they did that!

6. HuskerGyrl

HuskerGyrl Member

Green, but damn!! :eek:

Romeo's amps was 90 ... stall was flat (87), so now I'm going to have to try the feed & shoot methodology that @Kris & Teasel has employed...his blues have been so beautiful I don't want to lose them! If anybody's able to look at his sheet and give me guidance, I'd greatly appreciate it! I'll wait 45m or so to retest. My thought is that as long as he's 150 or higher, I can give him a reduced dose of... 1.5? I can be around most of the day to poke and monitor.

Djamila likes this.
  7. Djamila

I’m having trouble opening the spreadsheet, so I’m going from my very bad memory here. Romeo has just recently started showing different/lower numbers, right?

I would error on the conservative side here and maybe lower to 1u or 1.25u, and if he doesn’t get to a mid-blue I would skip altogether. He’s still early enough in this journey that skipping a dose won’t set you back too far.

8. HuskerGyrl

HuskerGyrl Member

Yes, very recently (2 days) giving me consistent blues... I just tested him at +1 (food) and he was at 157... I don't love that he's not higher than that. I'm going to go with .75u -- and hopefully I'll discover that I can give him more in the future. So timing-wise -- how can I adjust him back to the original PS? This timing could get messy very quickly, huh?

Don't know why the SS isn't working (looks like it's sync'd on my end), but I'll get it over on Google Drive today... it's been on my list but I haven't had a problem with OneDrive for awhile so it wasn't a priority.

9. HuskerGyrl

HuskerGyrl Member

Ok @Djamila , SS has been loaded onto Google Drive. :) Just fyi!

10. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Very nice! I can see your SS now. Looks like he gave you a pretty good cycle today!

11. HuskerGyrl

HuskerGyrl Member

Quite lovely... and I'm dumbfounded considering I gave him half his normal dose this am. He just gave me 145 at +8. :D

So since I shot him almost 2h late, do I need to delay his pm shot, or can I go back to normal time (assuming he's shootable) since I gave him a lower dose?

12. Djamila

I'm guessing you already shot since it's been a couple of hours since your post, but for the future: in general, the decision to shoot in less than 12 hours is a combination of the numbers and the schedule. You want to be sure that enough time has passed that you don't have doses that are overlapping too much, and that the numbers are high enough to shoot. In general, if you shot two hours late, we would say you can give the next dose about 11 hours after that (so one hour later than your usual next shot). You could shoot as soon as ten hours if you're sure the numbers are rising (confirmed with tests) and around normal PS range, but not really any closer than ten hours.

HuskerGyrl likes this.
  13. HuskerGyrl

HuskerGyrl Member

Nope, just now coming up on my normal shot time (8:30ish pst). Makes perfect sense. I had been working under 30m adjustments so an hour will be much easier to keep something of a schedule. And yes, I will keep an eye on all those pesky variables. THANK YOU!

14. Djamila

I think I was having trouble with the spreadsheet because I was at work and just had access on my phone. Hope it wasn't too much trouble to move it over to Google! :)

15. HuskerGyrl

HuskerGyrl Member

Not at all, and now I can edit the doc from my phone.

Djamila likes this.
  16. HuskerGyrl

HuskerGyrl Member

For the record... Romeo just gave me a 91 (should be near'ish his nadir), and I'm not freaking out. (yet) :smuggrin:

17. Djamila

Yay!!! Good job to Romeo, and good job to you!!!

What happens next is you start getting greedy for the greens and feeling disappointed when he doesn't get a green at nadir. ;):D:D:D

18. HuskerGyrl

HuskerGyrl Member

Haha... there are worse problems to have! :)

Djamila likes this.
  19. HuskerGyrl

HuskerGyrl Member

Ah Romeo... he got to green and then barely came up for pmps, and I think the only reason he came up at all was that I gave him 1/8 of a can of food before I left to do a client for 90m at +9... I didn't want him dropping when I was gone. SOO, I didn't shoot him tonight. Bah! But based on my other NS just a few days ago, he should recover quickly.

For whatever reason, some of these lower numbers seem to be working where they weren't before (or maybe I'm shooting more consistently so it helps), but I'm thinking I need to drop down the amps to 1.5... ? Thoughts??

Djamila likes this.
  20. Djamila

I agree. Looks like it's time to try 1.5u. Always nice to see them turn around and start coming down the dosing scale! Hopefully you'll still be in the blues for AMPS, but regardless I would do the reduction and see how it goes for a couple cycles.

21. HuskerGyrl

HuskerGyrl Member

@Djamila

Well he didn't stay in the blues, but I'll happily take 233! He's NEVER been that low after a NS so I'm a-ok. I shot 1.5 and we'll see what he does with that today. He ate better this morning than he has in a long time too.

We had some excitement around here last night... went to get into bed and a MOUSE scurried out. WHAT the WHAT?!?! a) never seen a mouse here, let alone in the house, b) AACK!! Romeo has a good excuse, but I forced the other two to give up their cat cards until they act more catlike. ;)

SpotsMom likes this.
  22. Djamila

YIKES!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I just moved into a new house (that is really a very very old house), and just the other day heard a rat in the ceiling (lots of rats around here because it's near the river). Still haven't been able to catch him, but at least I haven't seen evidence of him inside the house! So if the kitties were derelict in their predator responsibilities, what happened to the mouse?! How did you sleep?!?!

23. HuskerGyrl

HuskerGyrl Member

In reality -- it could've been a baby roof rat (we have those too, and I had a bit of a problem a couple years ago) -- but I'm choosing to believe mouse because he was small. Yes, I'm sure it was a mouse. :nailbiting:

After he scurried out of my bed, he went back behind my bed -- posed for a picture, thought about saying hi (he was surprisingly not scared), but then he took off and I couldn't find him again. It took me awhile to go to bed... especially because Alie (my youngest kitty) kept staring in random, weird places... but I have 3 pups that sleep with me, and at least one cat is usually 'around' -- so I figured I'd get warning if the mouse popped up again. There's a humane trap set in there, and I plugged up a hole in the wall, which is pbly where he came from (an old phone outlet) -- so hopefully he went back out last night -- and will now stay out... but if not, hopefully he likes peanut butter. :)

UNRELATED to rodents ... (blech) -- if you happen to be up and around, can you look at Romeo's sheet? His numbers are low again, and I'm leaning toward a NS again (remember that he runs lower at night), but I'd love your thoughts. We're currently stalling to see if he can come up a bit, but history doesn't have him doing that much.

24. Djamila

Just a sec....let me peek at the spreadsheet.

25. Djamila

I think I would NS tonight and then try 1.25u tomorrow morning. Looks like Romeo is taking a run down the dosing scale. It may take a few days to catch him. :)

26. HuskerGyrl

HuskerGyrl Member

Stinker. Ok, thanks so much for the quick look! He gave me 143 after the stall but I'm still going to NS. See what he does with it.

Djamila likes this.
  27. HuskerGyrl

HuskerGyrl Member

He was up yesterday with yellows and a pink, so I thought we were going to plateau and settle back into some sense of normalcy -- but then he gave me an 89 this morning. WTH?!? I did have a moment at pmps when I thought about him being lower at pmps than shortly before his (presumed) nadir -- so I left the bowls down overnight in case he did drop low... but there was still remnants in the bowls this morning and he gave me that 89. Any thoughts as to what might be going on with this monkey??

28. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I think it's entirely possible he is just trying to drive you crazy. ;)

No really, I think he may have some sputtering pancreas activity going on (which is GREAT but terrifying). That can cause a crazy sudden low preshot. When it happens, usually the pancreas will sputter on and off for awhile before deciding to work, which makes dosing harder. And of course, I have no idea if that's really it, but it's my gut feeling.

Djamila likes this.
  29. HuskerGyrl

HuskerGyrl Member

Yep, yep... that's sounds just about right! Argh. The freaking cat is reverse curving!

It would be lovely if that is in fact what's happening, but holy hell... how do you know what to shoot? So I just have to error on the super conservative since I have NO idea where he will go, until he settles into something... yeah? He's killing me -- like, seriously killing me. :eek: :nailbiting: :arghh: :woot: :confused:

30. Djamila

I agree with Rachel. And how you dose is exactly what you're doing right now. We just keep lowering the doses you can give and hope that he either evens out, or his pancreas takes over. So when you shoot tonight, try 1u.

Rachel likes this.
  31. Djamila

Hmmm.....or maybe even 0.75u. I worry about giving him a dose overnight when you're sleeping.

32. HuskerGyrl

HuskerGyrl Member

Yeah, most definitely. I'll see where he is in about 45m... if he's dropping from 206 I pbly won't give him anything. If I could monitor him then yes, but I know better than to think I'll get up to an alarm in the wee hours.

33. Djamila

sounds like a good plan. And I hear ya on not being able to wake up during the night. I'm the worst about that. I think if the PMPS is high enough to shoot, just go with your gut for the dose. If you give too little, then you can raise it again over the next few days.

34. Djamila

** by "go with your gut" I mean anything below 1u. I'm not suggesting you just shoot some random amount!

35. HuskerGyrl

HuskerGyrl Member

ABSOLUTELY on the same page.

And you KNOW, as soon as I get him stabilized, he'll find and eat the mouse.

Djamila likes this.
  36. HuskerGyrl

HuskerGyrl Member

So Romeo's #s were higher today (I NS again this morning) -- but still weird. I can't explain the higher midday numbers. He was at 229 tonight so I bucked up the courage to give him a tiny (0.5u) booster. I'll be awake for his +2.5 so I'll check him before I go to bed and see where he's headed.

Djamila and Rachel like this.
  37. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

They can have very odd cycles if the pancreas is working sporadically. That might be the case with Romeo - and that's good news!

Djamila likes this.
  38. Djamila

Glad you gave him a little boost last night. Doesn't look like he's ready to go it on his own yet. And if his pancreas is starting to heal, you don't want to overburden it by skipping the insulin altogether. It's a fine balancing act at this point to figure out what he needs.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  39. HuskerGyrl

HuskerGyrl Member

Hi Friends! I've been quiet ... and cautiously optimistic. Romeo's numbers have continued to stay in the blues, and we were settled into a 0.25u 2/day shot for a few days but last night he went hypo (I got hypo puke between 6 & 8a this morning)... the good news, his body didn't wig out and throw his numbers sky high -- he tested 99 amps. (I'm whispering this) -- I think his pancreas is definitely mounting a comeback... :woot: Fingers and paws crossed!!

Djamila likes this.