Rorschach suddenly diabetic too?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Steve & Jock, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

Hello dear friends
    As I may have mentioned, Rorschach is living out his last days with a nasty cancer in his ear. It's been diagnosed malignant (though it doesn't seem to be metastatic at all), and it's well past any kind of operation now.

Lately, he's been losing weight very fast, and rather low energy. I'd put that down to the late stage of the cancer, until I noticed he's also peeing quite a lot. No, really?

confused_cat

Would you believe a quick before-meal check of 194? (10.8)

Just what he needs, eh? So it appears Rorschach may be spending his last days with a touch of FD. Could this be a symptom of the cancer, or is it just a separate thing that complicates his life further?

Either way, I'm starting him on a very low dose of insulin...

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Re: Rorschach?

So sad to hear this news, but he's in the best of hands with you!
    I hope it's just a short visit with the insulin and the numbers come back down for him soon

3. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

((Steve)) and ((Rorschach))
    I know when Remi had his cancer hid bg numbers were all over the place, granted he was an established diabetic before his final bout with cancer. He had been in remission until the cancer returned. Just never know. But I do know Rorschach will continue to feel loved.

4. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

That poor little guy!

Melanie & Racci

5. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I do believe that cancer can affect the BG.

Smokey's BG rose during the last year of his life, and especially in the last couple of
    months. Smokey had esophageal cancer (throat).

Much love to you and Rorschach.

6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Keeping you both in my prayers I dont know if you believe in God or prayers. Dont mean to offend. I just... well you have helped SO MANY here. I have no experience with cancers. I can only pray for peace guidance and comfort. You are so brave.
    jeanne

7. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

No! It can't be true. It's just not fair...I'm so sorry to hear it.

I will suggest you get a few numbers before jumping in with insulin to be sure it's not a fluke, though the extra peeing seems to cinch it. Pain and other ailments can cause higher bg numbers. Is there any possibility he's in any discomfort or pain from the tumor? If he is, you might get him some pain meds to see if that helps.

Give that naked guy some head rubs from me.

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Do you have him on any meds?

Otherwise, it may be a paraneoplastic syndrome - body changes which occur with cancer.

9. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

Thanks for the comments -- I'm curious if the cancer or paraneoplastic syndrome could be causing the diabetic symptoms in some way.

All I can say so far is -- that quick half-unit of Levemir made him obviously stronger and feel better. Even just the next day he seemed higher in energy, less wobbly and more certain. His BG next morning was (6.7) 120, so it seems to have helped without being dangerous (phew!).

But so far as I can see, he's more comfortable with the small insulin dose. I'll update you over the next day or two to see if the weight loss and excess peeing have improved. Because honestly, I don't think this tumour is big enough or widespread enough to be causing cachexis, and his kidneys haven't shown signs of damage, so diabetes seems a way more likely reason for the symptoms.

He's not on any meds, and he doesn't seem to be in constant pain, just occasional discomfort from the big, sometimes bloody, tumour in his ear. If he were in constant pain, I wouldn't have him on pain meds, I'd have him euthanised. He is still with me because he's a happy kitty!

Any other ideas about why he'd suddenly seem diabetic at this late stage in life, having been on the same diet as Jock these last 8 years, with no meds?

10. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Best of luck and I sure hope the little bit of insulin is just enough to help him feel better.

No idea about any cancer situations being connected and causing any diabetic conditions, but maybe add something to your subject and catch someone's eye.

11. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

((((((((((((((((((((((STEVE and RORSCHACH))))))))))))))))))

Sending many cyber hugs. No advice but just many hugs.

12. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Hi ((Steve)). I don't have any advice for you. I'm just glad the little bit of insulin is making Rorschach feel better.
    Keep feeling a little bit better Rorschach [​IMG]

13. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Genes?

I honestly thought that cancer 'ate' the sugar in the body, and lowered the BG. Course, that could have just been certain cats, or even certain cancers. Just glad he's still a happy cat! (((Steve)))

14. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

My first diabetic kitty Grey Ghost also had what I presume to be cancer in one of his ears. He has stable polyps in one ear for years but then they started bleeding. Surgery cleared it up for a while then it came back. Somewhere in that time period he became diabetic. He was diabetic for about a year before I had to say goodbye. At the end, His BG could not be controlled. Even three units of R had negligible effect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.