? Roxi - UTI and high numbers

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by manxcat419, Jan 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

Roxi appears to have a UTI. I woke up this morning and found that one of the cats had peed blood spots in 3 different places (2 in the bathtub and one on the floor). None of them were showing signs of discomfort and we've spent a good part of the day trying to figure out which cat it was. Turns out it's Roxi. Her numbers are high - 400s and 500s. The vet can fit her in first thing tomorrow. The problem I've got is that I can't get a ketone test from her because of the blood - I can't read the strips accurately when there's color already there. She is eating fine. Is there any other way I can ketone test her short of buying another meter? I'm not even sure where I'd find one of those at this time on a Friday - our local Walmart doesn't keep the blood ketone test meters in stock.

2. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

A drug store should carry them - Walgreens or CVS. I bought strips for mine at Rite Aid. Too bad you're not a little closer, I'd lend you mine.

Sending healing vines.

3. manxcat419

Thank you @Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey. It is a shame we're not closer - but I will go and try to find a meter now before everywhere closes for the night. The vet didn't seem too worried as she's eating, but being a natural worrier, I'd rather know for sure that she's not heading into a medical emergency before our appointment tomorrow!

4. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

I have the Nova Max, which is supposed to be pretty good. Did you do an internet check to see if any drug stores around you advertise it? Or make some phone calls to avoid running around. I hope you find one and then find out you didn't need it! ;)

5. manxcat419

Thanks Tricia. Nowhere locally has it right now - apparently they're not the most popular meter on the market. Typical that I'd never bought one because Rosa just didn't do ketones...didn't matter how high her levels got, there was never a ketone to be found! And of course usually I just use the Ketostix...it's just a bit tricky to try and spot a pink color when the sample has blood in it. Though I might try if I can get a sample from her that isn't too badly contaminated. I guess it'll be a long night monitoring Roxi physically to make sure she's pretty stable in herself, with the ER vet number on standby just in case...and a ketone meter on order so we don't have to do this again! But fortunately we're only just over 12 hours off the vet appointment...I was lucky they managed to fit us in so quickly, and on a Saturday too!

6. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Dre is just over a UTI as well--he was totally fine and then out of nowhere he was back and forth to the LB - licking- so uncomfortable....
    the first ever in his life he squatted outside his LB...even when he had stones he went in the box. I felt so bad for him.... he is on the mend now.
    Sending good energy to you my friend and no ketone vibes!
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

manxcat419 likes this.
  7. manxcat419

Thank you @jayla-n-Drevon - I'm so sorry to hear Dre has had a UTI too. They do seem to plague some of our diabetic kitties. Poor Roxi had actually managed to mostly use the bathtub, so clean up was easy...but it was slightly shocking to find blood in there this morning. I spent the first 20 minutes trying to figure out who had been fighting and how they'd done it so quietly!

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.