Ruben just had bad diarrhea

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RubenTheCat, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

In fact, in order that you won't have to stall waiting for an answer if he's 200 or less, why don't you test at +11.5. See where he is and if he's high, you can shoot within 15 minutes of your normal time. If he's 200, post and ask for help.

can't figure out how to quote jsut a sentence

I'm confused? what does high constitute? 200+
    and with in 15min, before or after he is due,and does it have to be that precise?
    i set my alarm for 7 get up feed test by 7:20, shoot
    I shot around 7:20 tonight
    ill get up for 6:30 test post and wait. if he is high then ill feed and shoot
    what if he is 199 or 201 what is the range? im concerned

2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

If he's over 200, give him 1u and test at +2. If he's 200 or below, don't feed him just yet, post and ask for help.

Because we don't have any data on him, please do not shoot more than 15 mins early, k? You also don't want to test too early because we might have you retest if its been more than 30 mins. So test at +11.5, post, and someone can walk you through it.

3. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

just tested and he was 250
    He did find some left over wet food around 5:30ish he only had a couple bites as I jumped up and removed it. He couldn't have eaten a whole lot
    he's still okay about the testing but honestly he's been stuck a lot in the last 6 hrs. starting to feel bad. but I will push through knowing its what I need to do.
    can I feed at 7 and shoot?
    how much does he need ot eat? he's a grazer so he doesn't eat it all in one sitting yet, working on the 3 meals a day.

4. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

well he's eating I'd say about a 1/2 can of ff wet. I am going to shoot 1unit and test at +2 (pending i dont fall asleep-feeling like a zombie) then he is off to the vet around 11 for a check up.
    if he doesn't finish his food,I should leave it out for him, right? at least til the +2 readign right. Afraid he's not eatign enough

5. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Good morning!

Since you will be back to work in two weeks, how about you get him used to that feeding schedule now as i mentioned before. (Although we may do more tests than mentioned below while you have time being off work. This schedule would be for when you are back at work.)
    It was something like...
    7am test , shoot and feed .
    12pm test and feed.
    7pm test , shoot and feed.
    10pm test and feed

What kind of canned did you buy? Brand/flavours? My math says he needs to eat three cans a day if its Fancy feast classic pates .

Wendy

6. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

Getting ready to test agian soon
    I bought fancy feast classic a case of the tender beef classic, a case of the ocean white fish, shrimp and cod, a case of the turkey and giblet classis, and a case of the gravy lovers (chicken?) still in the bed, to tlazy, exhausted to move. the vet gave me a list of approved ff with color lable descriptions so i'm sure their all okay except for the gravy lovers ( got that one based on that list you gave me.
    He didnt eat much of his can so far. its still down. I'm gonna test again.
    let me know what you all think
    thank you so much over and over everyone

7. All good flavors. Take the gravy lovers and put it in a different location than the others. You'll only want to use that on an "as needed" basis, when his bg is low and you need to bring it up. You don't want to give it to him by mistake when you're half asleep :)

Carl

8. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

The vet gave you a list of approved ff? Would love to see that. They are all classics right?

Is this test +2.5? (2.5 hours from the shot)

Wendy

9. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

he's 130. he's going to vet at 11:45. I really dont wan to test again. Feeling bad. I will if I should. ususlly it takes 1 or 2 picks and only a little blood. this last time i must of got him good, cause there was lots of blood (not super amounts) but more than usual. he even flinched more....awe feel awful, I know its gotta be done
    have I mention how much I freaking love him...lol
    I just hand fed him some food. I'd say about 3/4 a can in total since 7am. my poor other cat has been locked away and crying in the other room :sad: I want to let her out but she will eat ruben's food and i'm worried about getting enough calories into him.
    what do you guys think about his number and wether I should leave out food or pull it up and let my poor other cat out. he little meow is pathatic

10. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

it is all classics. At some point I will type up the list. I havent slept, ate or cleaned in 5 days now. I have to spend some time cleaning today. oh its bad...lol
    but I promise i will get the list on here. I will be on here off and on ALL day. mostly to post numbers, updates and what the vet said.

this was the +2 test < look at me knowing he lingo now..lol

11. AMPS 250 (1.0u)
    +2 130

Leave his food down, and let your other kitty out. I would get a +3 as well.

Carl

12. Oh, when you get back from the vet, start a new thread? This one has gotten pretty long, and anyone checking on you and Ruben has to scroll down thru lots of prior conversation. One thread per day is a good idea:)
    Carl

13. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

ok great! You are starting to get the hang of this!

Its good that he ate. I would let the other cat out to eat. Ruben has had enough for now and probably is full.

I would test him again like Carl said - maybe +3? Because again he is coming down again fairly quick - he may well level off again like he did last night but we need to be sure.

You might have hit a vein which would explain the blood and flinching. Most of the time you want to avoid doing that, but sometimes when they are being difficult to bleed, then its the only option!. For now put a dab of neosporin on the spot and move your spot a little bit next time so you arent in exactly the same place.

Testing:
    Are you warming using a rice sock or something? or massage. Warm ears are key.
    Move your spot a little up or down so you arent poking the same place.
    Dont poke straight up and down - best to go in at a 45 degree angle
    Once the blood starts to flow, grasp the ear just below the drop. This acts as a dam and helps the blood well up.
    Make sure you apply pressure for 15 seconds or so to stem the blood.

What weight is the other cat? That way we can work out how much food she needs too and you can leave food out for the pair of them.

wendy

Summary
    PMPS 383
    +4 135 (fed LC)
    +5 194
    +6 194

AMPS 250
    +2 130
    +3 ?
    +4 going to vet

14. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

wendy your close last night
    +6 was 160

My other cat now has diarreh...ugh I've been feeding her the wet to.
    I'm sure its from the diet but do I need to worry about her too..ugh!!!
    Ruben is on the metronozanole and I honestly haven't really seen him poop yet. Maybe he hasn't maybe i missed it.
    but what about little maple
    when I get back from the vet I'll start ne thread but for now I'm gonna stay here
    like I thought maple just ate the rest of ruben's food (chubby lol)
    she weighs about 9lbs but is a smaller cat. so she's a bit over weight
    oh this feeding thing is more difficult than the testing, who would of thunk it..lol

15. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

+6 was 160? You said 194! I didnt realize he was still dropping... good thing you didnt tell me or we would have had you stay up another hour! ;)

Does Ruben still have the diarrhea?

Summary
    PMPS 383
    +4 135 (fed LC)
    +5 194
    +6 160

AMPS 250
    +2 130
    +3 ?
    +4 going to vet

16. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

48 a +3
    I'm freaking out...he seems fine feed him?

17. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Yes feed him and test again in 30 minutes...he is just about to earn his first dose reduction anything below 50 on a newly diagnoised diabetic earns a reduction in dose.

This is exactly why we had you skip his morning shot yesterday.

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn & The Fur Gang

18. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

wooo hooo.. He is getting a dose decrease tonite. Give him a tablespoon of the gravy lovers fancy feast to eat and I will find eyes to look. . I will be back soon but test again in 20 minutes no matter what.

You will want to tell the vet this. Make sure you bring these numbers.

19. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Dont panic. Its a good thing. It means he gets a dose decrease as its a little high. Dose reductions are what we want to see!

Test at 10.50am so we can advise before you head to the vets. How far is the vet from your house?

Its also good you are going to the vets so they can look at all this.. now of course his BG may shoot up just due to vet stress so the vet may not see the low numbers but at least you can show them your data!

Summary
    PMPS 383 (shot 1IU)
    +4 135 (fed LC)
    +5 194
    +6 160

AMPS 250 (shot 1IU)
    +2 130
    +3? 48 ( fed 1 tablespoon HC)

20. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Hope your syringes have half unit marks on them...you're going to need them. :D And that is a good thing. This is what you want for him to keep earning dose reductions until finally there is no more room to reduce. Then you will have a diet controlled diabetic and no more insulin shots...My Maxwell went into remission very quickly as well...all it took with him is taking him off the high carb dry food and onto a low carb canned diet, he hasn't had a shot in 2 years now.

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn & The Fur Gang

21. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

I knda hrew up in my mouth a lil bit when I saw that number
    gave him about 1/2 can of gravy lovers and jus saw him poop ( no diarrhea but hard black stool) but better out than in)
    I have to leave to go to vet so cant do the other reading, is that bad should I wait and be late or be safe and gget him there incase something bad happens

Im so stressed i''m littarlly shaking and dont think I can do another test without pokng he sh@t out of us. not steady.

22. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Half a can?! Ok he will be fine cos thats going to make him high. No need to worry.
    let us know how the vet goes!

Wendy

23. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

48 is not too too low, but it is early in the cycle, so we want to steer that number back up a bit.

How far away is your vet?
    Not all cats go up with vet stress. J.D. doesn't. I would take your glucometer and some syrup with you, for just in case.
    Sometimes, you have to wait in the waiting room for a while.

Please let us know what Ruben's next test number is.

24. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

I'm in a new thread under Ruben just came back from the vet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.