Rufus amps 610

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sean & Rufus, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Hi all-

I'm so confused. Currently Rufus is unregulated and on 4u am and 4u pm. He's been on that dose for 3 weeks. He's always been in the 400's when checked at the vet. We always get checked 4 to 5 hours after 7am dose. He was there once for a curve. First check before insulin was 400 ish. Every 2 hours 400 ish. That curve was done on 3u am & 3u pm. Got Alpha Trak 2. Test this am before food & insulin was 610. Gave 4 units. Test at 3:45 pm was 503. Vet says to move up to 5 units.

I cannot for the life of me figure out the too much dose thing. I understand she is increasing quantiy of doses faster then accepted by people here. I've heard that we might have skipped over a "good" dose. How would I know if we have skipped over a good dose? I heard bg could be elevated by too much insulin. How would I know that. The check this morning was 11.75 hours after last dosing.

It seems that his numbers are getting worse, but he might have a uti and upper respitory infection right now that is causing number to be higher. So the question is how would I know his dose is too high? Start him on a lower dose?

Here is original thread with more detail http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/confused.189664/#post-2113711

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Thank you for starting a new post today. Have you been able to get any more tests at home? The recommendations on your previous thread were to gather some more data on the current dose, before deciding if it's too high or too low a dose. Depending on that answer, any increase would be by a 0.5 unit amount. Do you have syringes with 1/2 unit markings.

You will find it really helps figure out where to go next in dose if you use the soreadsheet we use here to track our blood sugar test data. Data is what will tell you if the dose needs to increase or decrease. Tests taken at the vet may be inaccurate. I had a non diabetic cat that tested over 220 at the vet, and 55 at home the next day. Stress can do that.

Have you been reading the Sticky notes in this forum. There is a lot of information in there that can help you understand. The New to the Group Sticky Note has a good explanation of bouncing, which can temporarily inflate BG or blood glucose numbers. Depending on when you test, you could be seeing that temporarily high number.

3. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Hi, I've done 3 tests at home. Yesterday morning 2 hours after insulin number was 534. Today before insulin in am it 610. Today 8.5 hours after in am it was 503. This is with Alpha Trak 2. I'm guessing stress isn't a factor at this point. I don't have with 1/2 unit markings, but I could eyeball it I think.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Great news on starting to get test data. Having that data in the spreadsheet would really help. If you are having technical problems doing that, there are people here who can help.

I would try to find syringes with half unit markings ASAP, before the next increase.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.