Rufus update- his first BGC at vet

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rufus, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus

Rufus New Member

Rufus has been doing great-- eating, drinking. The day after he came off of his antibiotic, he was 10x more personable and charming, almost his old self.

He's walking fine, using the stairs, but he doesn't jump up on things anymore. He used to jump on the bed all the time.

His first BGC at the Vet was odd. He gets his insulin at 7:30 every day, an hour after he eats. He was at 54 when they tested him at 10am, and then it steadily rose throughout the day. Our vet is thinking he could go down to a half unit instead of one unit.

She did mention the possibility of this being a result of an inflamed pancreas. Anyone have any experience with this?

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

No experience with this but wanted to applaude your update. Go Rufus!
    j.

3. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

Any idea what his BG numbers were throughout the day?

4. Rufus

Rufus New Member

He had another blood sugar test this morning, *before* his insulin shot. It was 126. He's going off insulin for a week, and then having another test done on Tuesday just to make sure.

Our vet's theory is that he's a transient diabetic. His pancreas experienced some sort of trauma (inflammation, immune system troubles) and stopped producing insulin. Now that his pancreas is regulated... he doesn't need the additional insulin. It's possible we may need to do 1 unit a day, but she's doubtful.

Crazy. I hope things keep going in a positive direction.

5. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Pancreatitis is very painful; did you get the results of the test done on Rufus for his pancreas?

Also, I was wondering if you are home testing so that you can monitor Rufus' bg numbers while he is off insulin. It may be a good idea for you to test him each day and record the numbers because if you see his numbers keep rising, he may need insulin before the week is up.

What about foods that you are feeding him? It could be that Rufus may be food controlled. If you stick to a low carb wet food, he would have better numbers. Feed him dry food and his numbers likely rise.

6. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

If you can get yourself a Contour meter (I think they're on sale for $9.99 this week at CVS), I can give you testing strips. I'm in central Mass, and I think you're Western Mass, so it wouldn't take long to get there. Or I can drive out and help if needed.

MJ&Donovan

7. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

Just be sure to keep Rufus on low carb food, even if he no longer needs insulin. Stormy Blue is a prednisone induced diabetic.
    He only needed insulin for a couple of months, but if he gets into ANYTHING, even now that he is off of insulin, over 10% in carb value,
    he will shoot up to 500 almost as fast as you can blink!

Stormy Blue is still a diabetic, and will always be a diabetic, but he is a diet controlled diabetic. Rufus could possibly be the same.

~M

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.