? Rupert Changing insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kenai_21, Dec 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenai_21

Kenai_21 Member

Rupert has been on vetsulin for 6 months now. His numbers are all over. I want to switch insulins. Which one is the best for him to change to? Lantus, Levemir or ProZinc. How much do they run? Once I get the info I need I will check out that specific insulin group for more info.

Thank you in advance
    Rupert's Mom

2. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I pay about$100 for a vile of Prozinc, it lasts Callie about 3 months. It's very gentle and was developed for cats.

3. Kenai_21

Kenai_21 Member

@donnalea Rupert has been on vetsulin for 6 months with numbers all over. Need to find out how to rename my spreadsheet. Want to tell the vet I want to switch but need to know what to switch to

4. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

Callie was on Vetsulin for a while. She wasn't doing well on it. I read the forum's on other insulin and decided on Prozinc. My vet doesn't carry it, so I checked the mail order pet vets and had my vet fax them a Rx. We like it much better.

5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Many of the Vetsulin users that have switched over, since I've been here, went to Prozinc first. I hope you see the difference in Rupert :). No need to re-name your Spreadsheet but just add a line and note Switching to Prozinc (Or whichever once you decide). You can look at my SS and in July to see what I'm talking about :cat:.

Whichever insulin you are able to switch to, you'll probably want to slightly reduce Rupert's dose. So your Signature says he's at 2.0U BID (twice a day) of Vetsulin. You may want to start him off at like 1.5U or 1.75U BID of new insulin. Post on the new insulin's forum to ask for advice and help during the transition :bighug:.

Rupert is very handsome :cat:

6. Kenai_21

Kenai_21 Member

I finally got help with combining my spreadsheets from a wonderful member on here. I have emailed the spreadsheet to my vet and asked to change him over. I am sure she will want to see him again before we make the switch . That is perfectly fine with me. Waiting for her to look it over and respond. If not by tomorrow I will call her as shes out of the office on Friday's....

7. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey @Rupert_09 , did the chicken help with the curve?

8. Kenai_21

Kenai_21 Member

@Noah & me What chicken? Was I suppose to give him chicken? He loves his chicken breast I boil for him. Not fully cooked just enough for him to devour it. I'm going to do a curve check tomorrow to see how long his insulin lasts for my poopers!

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  9. Noah & me (GA)

The chicken thing came from your question about doing curves. Since there's not quite enough lunacy and voodoo about doing this already I added in "sacrifice a chicken" but only after my sincere and somewhat eloquent answer to your question. :rolleyes: Sometimes (often?) what I think is funny is maybe not so helpful. Your profile says you work in a Neuro Trauma ICU so I know you're medically capable. Neuro Trauma is a wonderful place I've been to :woot:, there's a talking Penguin, the birds are singing and the sky is always blue! Then the food comes. :( So did what I said about curves make sense? I wanted to go beyond the bland protocol and have you understand why we do it. BTW, Rupert/Poopy sticking his tongue out is priceless. One more reason to love cats.
    And no, there is no direct connection between chickens and curves.

10. Noah & me (GA)

@Rupert_09 I know that's not a fun place to work but I have been there; Trigeminal neuralgia/Tic douloureux, Chiari malformation, wide base aneurysm in the circle of Willis repaired by stent and coil, concussions o-plenty. There's $30,000 worth of Platinum in my noggin! All good right? Hope your curve goes well.

11. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Lantus has very good results in cats and is very affordable if you order from Canada--A pack of 5 pens is around $180 after shipping, but each pen is like a mini-vial so they'll last you at least a year (That works out to be about $15 a month). All you need is the script from your vet to order: https://rxcanada4less.com/

I just wanted to mention Lantus because it does have very good remission rates in cats. When Bandit's needed insulin, that's what we've used, and he's been in remission for nearly 8 years at this point.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.