Rupert's spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kenai_21, Nov 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenai_21

Kenai_21 Member

I finally got Rupert's spreadsheet up with both machines. My vet really hasn't helped a lot just adjusting his doses higher and higher. Didn't tell me to change his diet. Got him and finally Leo off hard food and on strictly fancy feast paté. I did so by my research on the food charts here. Can Anyone HELP Me to try to get him off vetsilin and onto another insulin? He's been on vetsilin since June 27,2017. I have a new bottle not used yet but want to try and convince the vet to change his insulin. Thank you all in advance for your time.

Attached Files:

2. cashy

cashy Member

I went through up to 12u per day with Cash. Never really controlled the problem He was on cat chow then science diet DM then finally on Young Again Zero Mature. He has not needed any insulin now for over 7 months.

I convinced my veterinarian about using this food. He said that he starts cats on YAZM before putting them on insulin. The food is expensive but so is insulin and injectors.

I doubt if this food works on every cat but look at my spreadsheet and posts.

3. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

When did you make the food switch???? Looking at Rupert's spreadsheet, that's a huge difference today. I'm so glad you are testing and didn't shoot 4U!

I'm going to tag @JanetNJ for help here, I really think you're going to have to reduce that dose now that Rupert is on the low-carb food, but I'm not a Vetsulin person so I can't advise.

As for switching insulins, ProZinc and Lantus are both considered good insulins for cats-- does your vet have any specific objections, or is he/she just not familiar with these options?

4. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Whoops, sorry-- caught up now (I was only looking at spreadsheet #1, and didn't notice the dates). I've now looked at both spreadsheets, and while I'm still going to defer to vetsulin folks for advice, I can see why you are frustrated with that insulin. He's really bouncing around, spending a lot of time in high numbers, and yet has a tendency to go lower than you'd really like with that insulin.

Some of the variability may go away now that the diet has stabilized to all low-carb, so that might help some.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It looks like he's doing well! If you slightly reduce the evening dose you may have a shootable number in the morning get so you don't have to skip setting him up for a resulting higher pmps. Does that make sense?

I'm glad you aren't giving 4 units anymore!

6. JanetNJ

Also since on a human meter normal is 50-120, I would give a small dose when over 135. Do like 0.25-0.5 and see what happens.

7. Kenai_21

Kenai_21 Member

8. JanetNJ

So try doing 1.75 tonight and see if tomorrow morning you get a shootable number.

130-170 0.5 (if you can't test at these lower preshots you could do 0.25)
    170-220 1 unit
    220-275 1.5
    275+ do 1.75

If it evens out you can go back to 2 units.

9. ppp

ppp Member

App

10. ppp

ppp Member

Don't know what I did wrong above... just wanted to send a message that I appreciate these 'shoot' guidelines.

btw, the video on how to test was so helpful to me, just started.

And, finally, do you know the Humane Society clips off the top of the ear of a ferile cat after neutering? They insist it doesn't bother the cats at all. So, if testing is in the upper part, it shouldn't be hurting...???

11. JanetNJ

They have few nerve endings on the edge of the ear, so it's not painful.

I've done tnr and had over a dozen feral cats ear tipped, and it doesn't seem to bother them. They cut the ear while still knocked out for the operation.

12. JanetNJ

Those guidelines were for Rupert.... You will have to figure out your own scale that works for you. For some cats a unit barely makes a difference.... For others it drops them far.

13. JanetNJ

I was looking at your spreadsheet. Do try to always get a preshot test in. Good job starting to test!

14. ppp

ppp Member

Thank you. Something else I could really use clarification on ... I know it is encouraged to have a regular (and not too often) feeding schedule, but I am just not managing that -- but I see people talk about holding food until after testing. Is there an especially important minimum time one should not feed prior to test? (Maybe I can at least schedule feedings to meet that.)

15. Wesley and Spicoli

Wesley and Spicoli Member

Typically we don't feed within 2 hrs before testing to prevent food inflated numbers. Giving a normal insulin dose on those food inflated numbers can be risky since it isn't a "true" number. But know thy cat. Sometimes you may have to stall so much that kitty is HUNGRY and may need to go ahead and feed. The more data you have the better you'll know if a full dose is appropriate, or to reduce for that specific shot.

16. JanetNJ

No food 2 hours prior to the preshot test. Tests mid cycle it doesn't matter. You just don't want the preshot test to be artificially high from food and think a certain dose is safe when it's not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.