? Safe Gastric Soother

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AJay, Sep 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJay

AJay Member

It would seem our Ches is having a gastric flare up :( I've managed to get formed Bowel movements apart from this morning when I gave him too much bozita :(

I'm convinced now that it is interfering with his bg numbers too :(

Vet has just prescribed Maalox but it would appear this is not so safe for him?

Ranitadine upset him

I have famitadine. Worth a shot?

Any ideas as to a safe gastric soother for him

2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Famotidine? aka Pepcid? Dose is 1/4th of 10mg 'regular strength' pill.

AJay likes this.
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I wonder if bone broth would help him. I make it for Mia, and she loves it. I put chicken drumsticks in a stock pot and barely cover with water then add a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and let it set for maybe 30 minutes. Then, I simmer it for about 24 hours. I have to add a little bit of water at a point or two during that time, but never more than just enough to keep the bones just barely covered. Once it is done, I strain out the bones, meat, skin with a colander. then pour it through filter to make sure there not any tiny pieces left in it (I use a permanent coffee filter.) As it cools, it turns into a jelly. I scoop out a hefty spoonful and microwave it when I want to give her some. I freeze it in ice cube trays so it will stay fresh longer. I keep a Ziploc freezer bag with the cubes in it and can pop one in the microwave anytime I need some.

It is supposed to be good for a lot of reasons but one is that it soothes the GI tract. Here is a quote/link from one site:
    "Bone broth is a great first food for animals recovering from GI irritation or illness. And if you have a pet that's finicky, you can also use it as a topper on food. If you have a pet that doesn't want to eat anything, feeding bone broth provides very concentrated nourishment and helps get the GI tract functioning again."

And here is the link to another site. These are just a couple of sites I found quickly, but I have seen a lot of info from various sources lately about the benefits of bone broth.

Squalliesmom and AJay like this.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Slippery Elm Bark Powder is great for tummy issues. As it coats the alimentary tract don't give within two hours of any meds. Here is a link to info on SEB and in it it tells you how to make a syrup from the Powder. I gave a teaspoon twice a day. Not sure where you can buy it in the US but we can buy it from health food shops in Oz. Make sure it is pure SEB with no additives
    https://draxe.com/slippery-elm-for-pets/

Jan Radar (GA), Squalliesmom and AJay like this.
  5. AJay

AJay Member

Thanks @FurBabiesMama . To throw a lil spanner in the works, I think Mr Ches has issues with fat :( aka, any fat in his diet manifests as hyperlipidemia - turns his blood milky :(

I made him bone broth a while ago, nearly gave it to him and then didn't because I had the heebies about the fat content :(

It is a battle with him :'(

Think I may have to ask vets for pain meds tomoz to rule out a pain response. His bg's just aren't coming down despite increased insulin dose. :(

6. AJay

AJay Member

I have it, thanks @Bron and Sheba . I've just read that it can interfere with Glucose absorption and should be used with caution in diabetics?

My head hurts :(

7. FurBabiesMama

I skim the fat off the top as it cools. Also, if you do not have any skin in it to begin with, that cuts down the fat a lot. But, I understand that you might still be scared. You have so much to juggle with him. You really are a warrior!

AJay likes this.
  8. AJay

AJay Member

Good thinking... might be worth a shot that way. :) Thanks @FurBabiesMama .

9. Lillie

Lillie Member

Famotidine is worth a try. It doesn't coat the stomach but does help to decrease acid that may be occurring and upsetting his stomach.

AJay likes this.
  10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I have never heard that before. I used it twice daily with Sheba and it did not interfere with her diabetes at all.
    A lot of us use it here and I have never heard anyone say it interfered with FD.
    Maybe start a thread asking if anyone has had that happen.
    Sorry your head hurts....it can be tough figuring out how to care for our FD fur babies.

11. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I have never heard that about SEB, either, but the kitty I use it for is one of my civvies. However, I know many people here have used it without issue for their sugar kitties. Bron's idea of starting a thread to see if anyone has had this problem might bring you answers. :)

I don't know this for certain so please don't attach too much importance to this but, just at a thought, I expect bone broth might indeed have too much fat for Mr. Golden Paws, since the cooking process breaks down and extracts the bone marrow. My understanding is that bone marrow is more than 95% fat.

Sending prayers that Chester feels better soon, and that things become less stressful for both of you! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  12. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Also - this may have already been discussed, but I can't remember so... - have you tried Fortiflora? I don't know about the fat content of it, though.

S. boulardii worked really well for my IBD kitty.

13. AJay

AJay Member

Thanks @Squalliesmom - Ches is on S boulardii probiotic :)

i picked up that snippet of info re the SEB from a specific diabetic site. Very difficult to tell with Mr C because his numbers are so high anyway. :(

I def think the next step is to test for EPI - tis the only thing he has not been tested for.

14. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I saw organic chicken bone broth in the store yesterday. My sister's cat has had diarreah for several weeks and the vet has not found the cause. Do you think it would help?

15. FurBabiesMama

I do not know if it would specifically help with 'curing' diarrhea, but it is supposed to be gentle on their stomachs and could help get extra fluid in since dehydration is always a concern with diarrhea. The first link I provided above is to an article/recipe by a vet who was making bone broth because her dog had an inflamed GI tract and diarrhea. She had fasted the dog for a day and was going to give bone broth as the first food after that.

You need to be careful about buying bone broth though. Check the ingredients. They often include things like onion and garlic that you do not want to give a cat. That is why I find it best to make my own.

16. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes I just went the store and it does have onions in it.

17. AJay

AJay Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys :)
    I'm too nervous to use bone broth - and if I did I'd rather make it myself so I knew what was in it.
    He's just too sensitive to take the risk. His reaction to raw food with fat content was just too scary for words. Yet his bloods don't suggest anything major / point towards anything that would indicate an intolerance to fat..

I'm off to see my little man. Hopefully I can spring him out tomorrow and push for EPI next week.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  18. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

All those reduce stomach acid. Excess acid can cause nausea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.