? Safe iron supplement for an OTJ diabetic

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by manxcat419, Jan 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if there's a safe iron supplement for OTJ diabetics? My vet prescribed one that he said was safe, but it turned out to be pet-tinic (first 3 ingredients corn syrup, water, sugar). It did push Rosa a little high, but she came back down again (fortunately). The owner at the practice says that as far as she knows they all contain sugar but surely there has to be something out there that doesn't have any form of sugar in it - even if it's a pill that I have to powder and split into gelcaps. The vet/owner is also going to research for me but I said I'd see what I can find out too in case someone already knows of a good one as it would save her a lot of reading through ingredient lists.

2. Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall

Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall Member

3. manxcat419

Oh, thank you - that's been the only potential one I've been able to find so far too so it's good to know that it's been working for you. I'll email the owner and make sure she's in agreement that it will make a good substitute - I'd really like to keep the owner on side as far as possible as she's prepared to research for me...and with me when there are things we can both contribute to. And she did say my dedication to Rosa's health is 'admirable' when I spoke to her this evening. I think it's fairly normal - I just want her to be well, but apparently my level of concern falls well beyond the average owner!

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Blood cell creation also needs some of the B Vitamins. ask your vet about that..

5. manxcat419

Thanks BJM. There does look to be some B complex in the formula and we're also giving B12 shots 3 times a week, but I will definitely ask my vet if further supplementation could help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.