? Safe yet for Alice to lick her shredded IV leg??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AliceMeowliss (GA), Apr 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

Because her skin is so fragile, her leg looked awful where the IV was in. My vet took it out Tuesday morning and it's been bandaged since. Does this look safe for her to lick yet? Thanks.

image.jpeg

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

When you say her skin is fragile, has it been tearing? Is this something relatively new? Cat's that have been diagnosed with Cushing's have fragile skin and are prone to skin tears. Has Alice been tested for Cushing's?

3. AliceMeowliss (GA)

No, rather it was explained her skin may be more fragile due to the diabetes itself. What are symptoms of cushings in cats? What is the testing for it? We all suspect some degree of underlying condition. I just think the ER vet had a rough time getting her hooked up. It looks like they shaved several areas, trying.

In general though, is she good to go without coverage now? I didn't think about it until after, but when she goes into the litterbox is that going to be a problem for it? I honestly have never cared for a cat with any physical trauma really. The worst outdoor kitties ever got was an ear knick.

4. AliceMeowliss (GA)

She is using it as a reason to do some full bathing. And she is on Veraflox right now.

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Let her take care of it unless it starts to look infected.

Cats are very good about healing their own little "ouchies" (that's another reason I told you the first night you brought her home that it was OK to go ahead and remove the bandage. It's probably irritated her skin being on for several days)

6. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Did you say that then? God I don't remember. So little sleep. :p Thanks for responding. I was trusting she should be ready by now, knowing its natural for her to lick, that they usually heal quickly, but better to ask than to assume completely that I know what I am doing.

Oh. She did lick the antibiotic ointment off I suppose though. ?

7. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

What is that red? Blood or the antibiotic ointment?
    As usual please correct me everyone if this is a bad idea. If you were to cover the area use gauze, not too tight because you need air circulation, then make sure she doesn't tear it off AND ingest any. This is a 24 to 48 hour thing, no more than that.
    It's not in a cat's nature to be poked and bandaged even temporarily. Assuming it's not Veraflox, Cushings or a diabetic issue cat's are quite adept at self care. Watch for inflammation or any discharge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.