Saki diagnosed in June, Controlling w/Diet...Questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cpr4bunnies, Oct 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cpr4bunnies

cpr4bunnies New Member

Hi, Saki was diagnosed in June, he is 7 Yrs. Old was 27.5 lbs BG was 583. Stopped all Dry food right away, (Also put my 4 other cats who are younger & not diabetic on wet food diet too, they eat Friskies canned food). 1st month he was on Perscription Diet PurinaDM (2 cans a day), now on FF (3 cans a day). He is 17 lbs now, & BG got down to 256. Unfortunately on a very tight budget, wondering if Publix canned food is comparable to Fancy Feast, or is there anything cheaper that is comparable? Vet said if I can get his BG in the low 200's I can control the diabetes with diet & not insulin. Also, Is 3 Cans of FF a day enough food for Saki? Thanks for any feedback :)

2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi and Welcome to FDMB. Sounds like you have all ready done a lot of research on foods and know that keeping the carbs 10% and under is what we aim for. And that you made your life and all your kitties better by changing to wet food.Is Publix canned food the store brand from Publix grocery store? We use a chart that helps us to see the composition of different brand wet food. Here is a link for a food chart and you can see if your brand is there. If not, call the manufacture and ask what the composition for protein, fat, water, etc but especially carbohydrate count. food chart

As far as the amount of food to feed Saki, (He is a big cat like my Bubba, Maine Coon?) Is the 17 pounds his ideal weight now? If so, you want to feed approximately 20 calories per pound of cat. I will use your cat as an example, he is now 17 pounds so 17 X 20= 340 then add another 20 to get 360. My cat was 25 lbs before diagnosis and he went down to a trim 17 lbs also. I feel he could still put on another 1-2 lbs as he is a BIG cat. I also feed him Fancy Feast and he gets 2 cans in the AM before his shot and 2 cans in the PM before shot and he is maintaining that weight.

Do you weigh him? If not, it would be a good idea to weigh him weekly. It was amazing to me that my cat went from 25 lbs to 17 before I even noticed that he was losing weight.

Also, what type of insulin do you give your cat.

Are you testing his BG ? We all home test. It is mandatory to understand how your kitty is reacting to the insulin and the dose. You will want to test before each shot and some additional test in between the 12 hour cycle. Another reason to home test is to keep your kitty safe. If you aren't testing and need information, please ask.

We are all putting the numbers we get from the testing onto a Spreadsheet Our spreadsheet instructions are here. If you look at the signatures of the members here, you will see a link to their kitty’s spreadsheets. We keep track of all our tests. This is basically a place to collect data and help you to determine patterns, doses, etc. It also aids those that may be helping you to better understand your kitty.

If you have any other questions please ask. Someone is always around to answer questions and help guide you.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You can get an estimate of calories from each of protein, fat, and carbohydrate from the can label using this online calculator.
    Then, divide the calories from carbohydrates by the total calories and multiply by 100 to get an estimate of the percent of calories from carbohydrates.
    ie carbohydrate calories / total calories * 100
    You want that to be less than 10%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.