? Salem, in remission now.. New vet Sat. Lip issue still not resolved

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sjewell, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sjewell

sjewell Member

I took Salem to a new, holistic vet about 40 miles from us (as someone referred them) and they did a biopsy on Salem's lip & lymph node in neck (on same side that has lip ulcer). She called today w/the result. Cancer has been ruled out, but not sure if its an infection. She said its not a rodent ulcer, but may be a benign growth (such as an adenoma, benign tumor). I don't know how to proceed now. Vet recommends removing it but first, Salem is almost 15 yrs old. I would be devastated if anything were to happen during/after surgery, if he doesn't pull out of it, etc. He doesn't appear to be bothered by this growth but it is not small, it's not huge but it's definitely on his lip. He still eats, he beat diabetes (he's in remission, 14 days today without insulin)..he's gained some weight back & acting like his old self. Looking for some advice here. I can have the surgery done within a month, just have to save up some $ but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Not sure I should post this here, if not, someone please point me to the right area in the forum. THanks.

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Salem, on going OTJ! :cat:

I can understand your dilemma about anaesthesia. Saoirse developed a couple of small skin polyps and I was becoming increasingly worried about them but, like you, I was reluctant to do anything hasty because of the need for her to be anaesthetised in order for them to be investigated/removed. She was heading towards needing a dental so an anaesthetic was going to be unavoidable. When the time came, I did the best I could for her with the one anaesthetic: the dental, the polyp removals, and also an abdominal ultrasound. I also asked the vet to give Saoirse the post-op injection to bring her round faster (don't know what it's called). Anaesthetics scare the bejeebers out of me.

I'd suggest asking your vet about any potential downside to waiting on removal of the growth on Salem's lip until maybe he needs a dental?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Key questions are if the growth is invading other tissues and if it is causing pain. If the answer to both is no, you may be OK with watchful waiting.

Nerve blocks may reduce the overall sedation that is needed if you choose surgery and as Aine mentioned, there are reversal agents for some types of anesthesia.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  4. Jamye and Fred

Jamye and Fred Member

Congrats re the remission!!! That's a toughie re the surgery. 15 is a long furlife. Sending good vibes.

5. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Congrats on remission! Hope all goes well if he needs surgery!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.