Sam - AMPS 173 what do I do?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by KristenP&Sam, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

I've never had an AMPS so low. I'm thinking I shouldn't shoot, right? Or? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. (Last night's shot wasn't a full 2 units, more like 1.8)

2. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

At +1, he was 220, so I gave him 1.8. I'll watch him closely today and be sure to test at +6 to see what his nadir is.

3. eeraby

eeraby Member

Kristen.... Hopefully, Lori or Gator will show up with advice for you. I'm too new at this to offer advice... I imagine you're really freaked tho.

Just to be on the safe side (and i'm only saying this cuz no one with expertise has come in) test as often as you can.

So, you shot at +1 .... I'm an overtester ;-) .. I'd get a BG 2 hours after that shot, if you can

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Quiet board this am, Kristen. You got a nice low 43 yesterday at nadir so a dose reduction would have been a good idea especially since you got under 200 amps.

Be sure to get a number around that nadir - +4, +5, +6- any or several would be great. Having a few numbers in your spreadsheet when things are changing is always a great idea.

5. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

That's a good idea, to do the +2. I work from home, so it's not an issue since I'm here. Will report back. Yes, I'm a little freaked. Sam seems oddly sluggy today, but then all our cats seem that way today, so I shouldn't assume there's anything unusual going on with him.

6. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

His +2 is 161. I'm now thinking the 1.8 might have been too much. 1.6 might have been better. Crap. I hate not being able to control this better. Must keep an eye on him and make sure his nadir isn't too low.

7. eeraby

eeraby Member

Yup. Lack of control drive me nuts too. Bud was @ 501 AMPS

Keep getting BG every 2 hours. Got high carb wet?

8. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

I have some Weruva chicken in gravy that contains potato starch, not sure of the carb count. I also have some "normal" treats I could give him. I could actually give him some bread if need be - he'd eat it. Or some whipped cream with sugar, that's another of his favs. (Any wonder he's a diabetic?) Oy. I'll be doing another bg check in 2 hours. I really hope he stabilizes and just has a nice normal nadir. Thanks for checking in on us!

9. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad you're home to keep an eye on him and test, lucky you.

You did the right thing, if you get a bg too low to shoot you can wait 30 minutes (don't feed) and test again to see if you get a shootable number and then shoot which you did or if you have to leave for work or whatever and won't be home you reduce the dose by 1/3 or 1/2.

A dose decrease is in order after that 43 yesterday and now with lower PS's. Small dose changes can give big results in both directions. He's been getting some steep drops all along it looks like, I'd like to see you even out his curve a little so it won't be so hard on his body.

Keep testing, knowing what his bg is gives you the power to correct it if he starts to go low.

Have you read the hypo info? Do you have a hypo kit ready? Become familiar with it because the more comfortable you are with knowing that you know what to do if it ever happens the calmer you will be through out, just knowing that you are prepared can ease your mind. Someone here suggested writing the carb % with a sharpie on the top of the cans because if you ever do have a hypo that is not the time to go print out Janet & Binky's list and start searching for carb %. After I slapped my forehead I did just that. I have the cans stacked in my hypo kit with the 8% on top because I want to try that first, 13% next, 16% on the bottom.

Shortly after I did that Harley droppped a little too low too early in his cycle for comfort, I got the 8% carb can and let him lick the gravy and that did the trick and brought him up gradually. I was very thankful for that tip.

You're doing great.

10. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

I don't have the hypo info printed out, but I've read it a bunch of times and have honey on hand. Thanks for all the info! I'll be watching him closely and will be sure to post his numbers as the day progresses. I have to say I'm happy to be reducing his dose. That seems like such a positive step.

11. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Lowering the dose is progress.

12. Sue and Oliver (GA)

You are doing fine, Kristen, and his numbers look fine. Do you have a +4 or 5?

It is always wise to have some higher carb food with gravy on hand - sometimes just the gravy will work without bringing out the big guns like Karo.

13. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Peggy and Mickey (GA) Well-Known Member

14. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

Crap. Just did Sam's +4 (will show on SS as his +5 due to me giving his shot an hour later) and it's 41. I just gave him some of the Weruva Paw-Lickin' Chicken in hopes the gravy will help stabilize that drop. I'm now worried about him going into hypo more than I've been before. Will recheck in an hour. If it's lower than 41, I'm going to give him some whipped cream, which he loves. It has sugar in it, so should do the trick.

15. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Hopefully the gravy will bring him up a bit. So glad you are home and can test and watch him. Since he has hit the 40s, can you get another test in 15-20 minutes?

16. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

Sure, I can retest him whenever. I'll do it in 20 mins, which would be 30 mins after the gravy food.

17. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

Wow - he ate almost that entire can of chicken in gravy. All that was left was a few tablespoons of the chicken shreds, no gravy. He looked at me, meowed, then looked at the stacks of canned food, so I opened another one and dumped it in. He proceeded to lick up a little more of the gravy out of that one too. It's like he knows he needs it. Man, cats are smart!

18. Sue and Oliver (GA)

You do want to be careful, Kristen, not to overfeed him. You want him to eat when you want his numbers to rise. If he is full, he will be less inclined to eat for you.

Yes, they are smart and often will eat to bring their numbers up.

19. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

He rarely turns down food, but good point. Will post a new bg check shortly.

20. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

Okay, half an hour after eating, he's at 42. I feel pretty relieved. I'm hoping this means he's stabilized?

21. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It is looking okay, but I would not relax yet. Breathe, but don't relax.

The gravy is probably holding him steady, but 41 is a low number. You need at least 2 numbers, going up, out of the 40-50 range before you can be sure. At this point, I would still test every 15-20 minutes until you are sure he is headed up.

Looks like his nadir is usually consistently at +6. Where are you now?

22. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

Because of his low AMPS, I gave him his shot an hour later, so his +6 will really be his +5. Make sense? Numbers befuddle me so all this math is taxing my poor little English major's brain. I'll recheck him shortly and see how he's doing. Thanks for hanging in there with me!

23. Sue and Oliver (GA)

You haven't seen any symptoms, right? No odd behavior or shivering or weakness? If not, it is good information to have. Sam may be a kitty that goes low without symptoms - maybe only the hunger? Just good to know.

24. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

No symptoms like that at all. About to check, will post bg in a few.

25. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

38. I'm going to give him some whipped cream.

26. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I would suggest putting syrup right on his gums. Watch your fingers. Then test again in 10 minutes.

Remember any meter has a 10% variance so this number is just like your 41. Keep that breathing stuff going.

27. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Are you seeing any symptoms at all?

28. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

No, he's walking around fine, when he's walking. Mostly he's been snoozing on the loveseat, enjoying the breeze from the open window.

29. Sue and Oliver (GA)

The syrup will wear off, even if it brings him up. So see if he will eat some of the gravy - not the food, just the gravy.

30. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

He just ate a dessert plate full of whipped cream. Then to test him, I got out one of their favorite toys, a long ribbon on a stick. He went right after it, chasing it and biting it, no signs of lethargy or poor motor skills at all. I tried giving him some more of the gravy food, he wasn't interested. He did have some tuna flakes, which I know aren't helpful since they have no carbs, but I wanted to make sure he was still willing to eat. Which he is, he just wants the food he wants.

31. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sounds like he is active and pretty happy. This is good. You might put out one of his usual favorites and pour the gravy off the higher carb on top. I don't know about whipped cream; I have heard of people giving ice cream.

When I look at your spreadsheet, you have gotten a few 40s at nadir. Just with a higher amps. So today isn't off the usual; you just started with a lower amps.

We just need to make sure he heads up and continues up at nadir.

32. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

I just syringe feed him a little bit of honey. He did not like that at all. I think I mostly succeeded in making both of us sticky. Will check his bg in 10 mins.

33. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Hopefully it was messy enough that he will lick it all off.

34. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

fwiw, as far as the +4 or +5 or whatever, always go from when the shot was given, even if the shot was given an hour late. so, are we currently at +5 or +6? from when the shot was actually given.
    (and i'd take the note out of your spreadsheet for today as it will be very confusing later. just note that amps was at +13 due to lower than normal first ambg)

you're doing fine as far as managing the numbers. Sue and Rob have pretty well covered the basis. you in short are going to nurse him thru nadir so he doesn't have any problems. you feed a little, test, feed a little, test until you are past nadir and back in worry free numbers. and then later you are going to reduce the dose so you don't have to do this every day. since he ate a bunch of food already and i can't locate nutritional info on it anywhere we're going to assume it wasn't high carb since it didn't seem to do anything for his numbers really. you can see if a little whip cream will help a little. if it doesn't, you can stir a little honey into his regular food which will raise it from low carb to medium or high carb. but remember, too full and you will have to resort to more intrusive intervention if he keeps dropping.

i'm sure you've posted an update so i'll go read now :)

35. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Thanks for coming by, Cindy. Appreciate it!

Kristen, Cindy has helped with lots of hypos. I wanted some back up, so pmed her to stop by.

36. LynnLee + Mousie

one quick note on the playing. exercise can actually lower BG's, just as in humans, sooooo not too much of that right now k. you can use it for a few seconds to see if he is acting normally but don't let him get carried away :)

37. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

BG is now 87. Clearly either the whipped cream or honey worked. Will recheck in 30 mins. Thank you everyone for helping me with this! I did NOT know playing could lower bgs. Man, you learn something every day!

38. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Great! But remember, you need 2 consecutive numbers moving up. And the syrup is a temporary fix so he could go down again. I would test again in 10-15 minutes.

Can I say you have done a fantastic job staying calm and getting those tests in!

39. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

Who said anything about staying calm? LOL I have gotten NO work done this afternoon, but then, Sam's what matters most. My deadlines can wait. ;o)

40. LynnLee + Mousie

there we go! now you have to see if the insulin is pooping, the food is working, or it's the honey/whip cream and you do that via the next test. if the next number is down, it's the whip cream/honey and you'll have to keep testing frequently. if it's up, the insulin is done and/or the food took over and you can spread out the testing.

and yeah, there's such a thing as an exercised induced hypo. although i haven't seen one in ages, thank god. :)

41. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Well, you have "sounded" calm on the internet. Some people who are dealing with a hypo write all in CAPS!

42. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

BG - 128 Can I assume we're out of the woods? Maybe I over did it with the whipped cream and honey. Next time I'll just do one, then test. Actually, I'm hoping there isn't a next time. Again, thanks for all the help! You guys are awesome!

43. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sounds good to me!

So, you can probably expect a high pmps tonight - in reaction to the higher carb, the lovely whipped cream (What a day Sam has had!) and the syrup. You don't want to react to it by shooting the usual amount.

It is time to reduce the dose. Maybe one unit? Come on with your +10 (so you have time to get some replies) and ask for advice. Be sure you reference this thread.

You did a great job! Now you belong to the exclusive club of Hypo! Not a great club to join, but a nice one to survive.

44. LynnLee + Mousie

i think so too :)

45. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Why don't you add some info to your spreadsheet so you can remember exactly what happened and how Sam reacted. You are missing that 87 - and that's important because you want 2 numbers headed up. And put something in about all numbers one hour later than on the sheet.

Great job. NOW you can relax!

46. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

Okay, will do about checking in with the +10. And I'll adjust the SS. It scares me to shoot only 1 unit, but then every "new" thing along this journey has been a learning experience. Thanks so much. I'll be back later. Now I can get some work done!

47. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow an exciting morning. I'm so glad you were able to find help and are out of the woods.

48. Charliemeow

Charliemeow Well-Known Member

Wow wow, you had a crazy day! Good thing you were home all day to be able to test. You handled it beautifully! And now you get a dose decrease...that must feel awesome. I hope Sam's ears are feeling good. Charlie bruises pretty bad on curve days, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do! I do find that the lower I poke them, the less likely they are to bruise. Back on subject, though-Great Job!! You deserve a cocktai! drinking09

49. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

My cocktail was a little skim milk after my workout. Yes, I party hard. :mrgreen: Funny, I just put some food out for the other cats and Sam wasn't the least bit hungry. lol After everything he ate or was made to eat this afternoon, I can see why. And after all that ear poking, I hate to have to give him his sub-q fluids, but until the vet says otherwise, I have to keep that up. Poor guy. He's got such a good spirit considering!

I'm very interested to see his +10 reading tonight. Will post when I have it!

50. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I can't remember, Kristen. Why is he getting sub Q fluids?

Also, be sure you post a new thread for tonight's number so it doesn't get lost at the end of this one.

51. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

He's getting sub-q's because his kidney values were so crappy when he first went into the hospital for DKA. They basically thought he was in end stage renal failure (although I refused to believe that). At his last check up, a week after getting out of the hospital, his kidney numbers had either stabilized or shown slight improvement. Based on that, the vet wanted me to continue giving the sub-q's until his month long check up, so that's what we're doing.

Will start a new thread tonight. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.