Sam - Month 6

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Djamila, Jul 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Okay, it's a couple of days early to call in Month 6, but close enough...

I'm wondering if y'all could take a peek at Sam's spreadsheet and share your thoughts. Looking at yesterday's AM cycle (no insulin) and today's AM cycle (with insulin)....and also comparing 7/2 and 7/3 AM cycles, it doesn't look like the insulin is doing much of anything these days. It is way way way past its life at this point, so it seems reasonable that it's weaker than it should be. (although he did hit a high lime green on 6/23 PM, so it's not totally dead).

But given that he's hitting pretty much the same mid-cycle numbers regardless of whether he gets a shot, I'm wondering what I should do.

Here are the questions I've been pondering:
    1. Is there any reason to consider trying the Lantus? I'm leaning toward no since he's getting so many NS days and Lantus isn't an in and out insulin. My limited understanding of lantus is that he would need to get a shot regularly, and that seems risky/unlikely at these numbers.

2. Should I buy a new vial of Prozinc? It's expensive to do that for an occasional shot, but if he needs it...?

3. Should I stop giving insulin and see what happens? If his numbers rise enough I could then start the Lantus, but am I risking damage to his pancreas if I do this? At what point would we say he's risen enough to try it? 120's? 130's? Higher?

I've been waiting for his numbers to be closer to the 50-80 range, but I know some vets, and some people on here, declare their cats OTJ at higher numbers. During the year Sam was on his honeymoon, he would occasionally give a number in the 90's, but did usually stay under 90, and only went over 100 one time (and it was just a couple of weeks before he got his second diagnosis, so that was clearly not a good thing).

Thanks for your help everyone! We are all kind of guessing here, but it helps to guess together!:bighug:

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

That is a super tough one! I tend to agree on not going to Lantus right now...it seems like it might not be useful where you're at. Kris or Steph can probably weigh in better though since they've both switched!

Options 2 and 3 though....tough call. I think, if he was mine, I'd give him a few days without a shot maybe. Just see what happens. It doesn't have to be long but see if his numbers trend upward over say...3 or 4 days. It seems like just a few days wouldn't do much damage. And instead of focusing on specific numbers look to see if he's staying consistent to his pattern lately or if his preshots start to go higher more regularly.

If not, continue the trial and see what happens. If they do, get another vial of ProZinc and work on him...he might just need another month or 2 of small doses irregularly to get him all the way there.

Of course all this is easy for me to say as I sit here! I won't be one bit offended if you go another way. Just my thoughts since it allows you to do a smaller trial more tailored to Sam than typical OTJ trials on here and move forward from there.

Djamila and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  3. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

Djamila likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

My two cents, Djamila:
    1. I'm not sure there's anything to be gained by switching to Lantus. You might still want the dosing flexibility of ProZinc without a depot lurking in the background. It's still easier to do small fraction dosing with U100 syringes and ProZinc.
    2. Unless you can find a place to sell you one Lantus pen, you'll be out of pocket about the same amount of cash buying Lantus from a Canadian pharmacy as ProZinc from your vet.
    3. I really can't advise about this because I have zero experience. Maybe you could do a short trial without insulin to see how stable and low his BG stays?

Djamila likes this.
  5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I'm leaning towards no and like Kris suggested, might not want the depot lurking when he's been giving NS's at night.
    How soon will you need it? Try your luck at Supply Closet?
    I have no idea :oops:

Based on this:
    I guess you could try not giving insulin, Sam might be a kitty that naturally runs on the higher normal range.

Have you tried the drop dose consistently? Just for blue PS?

Djamila likes this.
  6. Djamila

The Lantus is already sitting in the fridge, so that money's spent. It stays good for a long time as long as it isn't opened, so I figure it can just hang out there until Dx #3 (yes, I'm a bit of a pessimist).

As far as getting a new vial of prozinc, I don't think the vet will give it to me at these numbers anyway, so I may have to let him rise a smidge before our annual check-ups on the 21st. So he may be looking at a bit of an OTJ trial whether he/I/we like it or not anyway.

Today's numbers were a little strange. Neither cycle showed any action from the insulin at all. I haven't had a blue PM+3 in weeks. Granted, it was barely blue, but his +3's at night are usually in the 60's. Not sure what to make of today. Did the insulin just completely stop working in the past week? Is something going on with him? Were there squirrels dancing on the balcony just before the tests (haha)? Is it just one of those days and tomorrow the insulin will be back to normal? (I promise neither of them were fur shots)

So many questions....

Thank you all for taking some time to think this through and share your thoughts! I don't know how people go through this process without a community! I really appreciate you all!

7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hmmm...could be that the insulin has just crapped out. You might keep an eye on supply closet to see if any prozinc shows up there. That way, you could grab it earlier if you do need it. :)

8. Djamila

Curiosity got the better of me, and I gave him a shot this morning. I want to see if yesterday was just odd, or if the insulin is really done. Then I think I'll give him a couple of days off and we'll see what happens. It also turns out that I'm scared if I stop giving him insulin his numbers are going to go higher and it's going to make him sick again. Which is silly because I'll keep testing and we'll see the numbers before it gets that bad. Plus, there is a pen of Lantus sitting right here in the fridge, so it's not like there isn't active insulin within arms reach if he needs it. Fears are funny things...

Rachel and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  9. Kris & Teasel

OK. If the Lantus is in the fridge you might end up using it. It's possible that your ProZinc has breathed its last breath. I understand the fear of changing anything significant - on insulin/different insulin/off insulin. I agonized over switching Teasel to Lantus.

You'll be testing Sam often enough to catch it if he starts going up. The should allow you to nip it in the bud. There are lots of people on FDMB who microdose Lantus so you could post about that should it become necessary.

I agree about the value of having a community to help as each of us navigates the FD sea. It's helped me a lot!! :bighug:

10. Yong & Maury GA

Who knows, if Sam needs to try the Lantus you may just build the depot with a drop dose and that will be enough to stabilize him into another remission :woot: (antijinx)

11. Djamila

Oh bless his little kitty heart. He appears to be on a hunger strike again. Apparently it's time to go find him some new food.

It's not inappetance because he keeps pawing at the treat bags, and he'll eat with fortiflora. But once he's licked the top layer off, he goes back to refusing and pestering me for treats.

Or maybe I should just leave the house and go work somewhere else today. He'll probably just eat if he doesn't have someone catering to him!

12. Djamila

I can't remember if I mentioned here, or just out on the Main Forum, but we are all getting ready to go on a week long road trip at the end of the month. I decided to try bringing the kitties along instead of leaving them with a pet sitter. At this point though, it may have been cheaper to leave them! They now both have leashes, two types of harnesses, a play pen, a double stroller (nope, not kidding), and their regular carrying cases. Along with beds, toys, food, diabetic supplies, litter boxes, and on and on.

Plus we've been slowly getting Atticus used to wearing a harness (no small feat!). Tonight I put the leash on the harness for the first time and he immediately flopped over and played dead. It was kind of hilarious except that I knew he was super stressed and it made me feel bad. Only 20 days left to get him ready to go. Yesterday he went to the park for the first time. After I parked the car and opened the crate to let him out in the car (no way he's ready to get out of the car yet), he dove under a blanket and refused to even look out the window. Poor baby!

Sam has been a leash walker for years and goes to the park every few weeks when I think it will be quiet there, so he's a pro at all of this, but Atty not so much.

If anyone has any tips or tricks for traveling with a scared cat, feel free to share! I'm mostly excited to try this, but I am starting to realize that the pet sitter might have actually been easier on him than traveling will be!

13. Kris & Teasel

Oh my! I'm visualizing all this right now ... especially the double stroller! I wish I could help but have no experience travelling with kitties.

14. Djamila

The stroller arrives on Tuesday. But it may or may not make the final cut for traveling. It turns out that they seem to prefer staying in their crates while driving instead of being out but tethered to the backseat anchors. I'm driving down alone, and it will be August, so if I need to stop to use the restroom, I can't leave them in the car. I thought that would be easier for getting them both to and from the bathroom with me rather than trying to carry both crates at the same time. But we'll see...it depends on how easily I can get them in and out of the stroller, and how much space it will take up in the car. It's a five hour drive, so I know I'm not going to make it the whole way without stopping at least a couple of times. If the stroller is more of a hassle I will just carry their crates in with me. That would be heavy and awkward, but whatever they like better will win.

I don't suppose I'll get any funnier looks carrying two cat cases than I would pushing cats in a stroller!

15. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

I'll trade you the five hour drive for about a 10 hour drive to/from airports and the plane ride itself! :p and if you get the stroller I demand pictures!

Yong & Maury GA and Djamila like this.
  16. Djamila

I can't even imagine trying to take a cat on an airplane. Poor Pita!!! I hope your vet gives you some good drugs to help keep him calm through that!

Caitlin M likes this.
  17. Caitlin M

Yeah, that's gonna be a whole new thread pretty soon! I'm so nervous already. Two people, two cats :nailbiting::confused:

Djamila likes this.
  18. Djamila

Rescue Remedy seems to help a little for Atty. Although I would think for a plane ride and all the noise and stress of the airport you might be better off getting something vet-strength. Will they ride with you guys, or do they have to go below?

19. Caitlin M

They ride with us, thank God! I've heard that once on the plane, most cats are fine, because it's quieter and they get the hum of the plane. But yes, it's the car and airport itself that will be tough. Sorry for hijacking your post now!

20. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh I have no experience with this, but we do want pictures! And I'll be following anxiously to hear more about it. We're trying to figure out what we'll do when, eventually, we move. How will we move the cats with us??

21. Kris & Teasel

My brother and his wife flew from Philadelphia to San Francisco with two kitties in tow. They were in the cabin with them and it all worked out fine.

22. Kris & Teasel

Djamila, I've stacked two cat carriers on a folding dolly that I keep in my car - bungee cords to secure them. Would that work for you?

23. Djamila

I thought about that, but was worried about the tippy angle of it when I lean the dolly back. I guess that's kind of a silly concern though now that I type it out. I mean, they're cats. They sleep on top of their own heads. I think they can handle a 90 second ride at a bit of an angle! o_O:smuggrin:

24. Kris & Teasel

Mine have had to endure the tippy angle when being rolled out to the car but it didn't seem to bother them. It's quick and easy for the bean too if you had to wheel them into a washroom at a rest stop.

25. Caitlin M

Do you know if they sedated them at all?

26. Kris & Teasel

I'll have to ask. Long time ago.

27. Djamila

Shhh...don't tell the kitty....I'm about to go grab him and throw him in a crate! Time for the vet!

28. Caitlin M

Good luck!

29. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

We won't tell! Update us when you get back!

30. Djamila

Looks like he needs a couple of teeth extracted and probably starting on metro-- for the tummy issues. He's back getting the blood draw now.

$$$ Dentals are so dang expensive $$$

Hopefully that will help with the BG numbers though.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  31. Kris & Teasel

Dentals everywhere right now. Teasel's sister has hers tomorrow and I'm stressing about it. Trying to not let on to her though ... ;) I have to deliver her to the vet clinic by 7:30 AM. :confused: Teasel's insulin might be a tad late tomorrow morning.

Djamila likes this.
  32. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

Your SS looks so pretty :) :)

Djamila likes this.
  33. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

What are these dentals that I keep reading about.

34. Kris & Teasel

We're referring to a procedure that's like our checkup/cleaning, etc. The kitty has to be anesthetized and there are often X-rays done to look for decay and abscesses. Tartar is scraped off the teeth above and below the gum line and extractions are done if indicated by the X-rays. It's $$$$ but dental issues can have a significant effect on BG in FD kitties. They can even knock a kitty out of remission.

Djamila likes this.
  35. Caitlin M

Pita actually has a tooth that the new vet suggested be extracted but said it could wait til we moved. Ugh :banghead: and yes, so, so expensive.

36. Yong & Maury GA

haha Maury too! He's already resorbed 1 pre-molar and 1 incisor :confused:. Vet would like to get x-ray to see if anything is left under the gumline but said it can wait a month or two if he's not showing any signs of the most recent one being painful.

37. Caitlin M

Lol I swear, I have NEVER had so many things happen to cats in my life!

38. Djamila

I cry when I have to leave one of them at the vet for a dental. I wish it was more like people where you can at least stay with them until the procedure, and sit with them while they wake up. It kills me that they are alone and scared. Fingers crossed that Teasel's sister has a quick easy cleaning with no extra stuff needed!

Teresa & Buddy and Kris & Teasel like this.
  39. Kris & Teasel

I hear you! I've been avoiding thinking about it as much as possible. She's so frightened going to and being at the vet clinic, the poor little thing. :(

40. Djamila

That's what's going on with Sam too. He has two teeth that have/are/whatever resorbed...or resorbtion...or whatever it's called. I'll be :bookworm: tonight to learn more about this.

Vet said that the teeth can't be why his numbers are rising (oh, vets...). Although it could certainly just be the tummy issues too. I have to run but will post lots of questions for you all about this later!

PS Sam roared so loud from the back room of the clinic that a dog started howling. :woot:

41. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I hate leaving them there! I know it's for the best since they;re getting care they need, but I want them home where they are happy and comfy!

Kris & Teasel and Djamila like this.
  42. Djamila

Okay, so dental resorption is icky. Too many pictures on the internet you don't want to see. Thankfully Sam's is not that bad, but we'll still get those teeth removed as soon as we can. Vet said to wait for his tummy to settle down, and we are leaving for that road trip in a week so he wants us to wait until we get back so he has more time to recover at home without the stress of being tossed in the car soon after the surgery. He also said that the teeth have been like that for several months and it's a slow progression, so waiting two weeks is fine.

I wish we could take care of it right now, but I do understand that putting him under anesthesia when he already isn't feeling great isn't a good idea.

What do you all think about giving him metronidazole? He's had it before, and I know people on here use it, but I'm wondering if it's necessary? He hasn't had diarrhea in 24 hours, and the SEB seems to have settled his tummy down, so should I give it?

Lab work should be back today for the blood work and that UTI test ($$) that we ran again just to be safe. Because why not spend as much money as possible? ;)

Atticus has his annual appointment today at 2pm, and he's going to need a dental cleaning as well, so this is going to be an expensive month around here!

Sam hit his first yellow number in months this morning. Looks like his flirtation with remission is officially over and we're back at the dance. Oh, our fragile little sugar babies!

Caitlin M likes this.
  43. Yong & Maury GA

Maybe it's just his tummy not feeling good and he'll go back to his flirting :cool::D

Kris & Teasel and Djamila like this.
  44. Kris & Teasel

I'm a research junkie but there are times it's best not to go rooting around on the internet. o_O Good idea to wait on Sam's dental. Maybe wait a day or two to see if the SEB does the work before trying the metro?

Ah, yes! The money we spend on our animals ... good care costs $$$$. Teasel's sister is at the vet clinic right now awaiting her procedure. I hope that it's a fairly straightforward thing but who knows? My critters tend to be complicated. :(

Djamila likes this.
  45. Djamila

What is Teasel's sister's name? Does your vet keep her until later this afternoon? Or do you get to pick her up as soon as she's finished? My vet always makes us wait until closing so they can make sure they are hydrated and eating before releasing them. Although one time they let me pick Sam up early because he was being soooo loud that they decided he would have a better recovery at home. :D

46. Kris & Teasel

Her name is Meadow. As I commented on my LL thread, my vet called to say a heart murmur was detected. This hasn't been detected before and she was there only a week and a half ago for her annual checkup. Mind you, I know they can be hard to hear especially when kitty is purring from anxiety. Teasel has a murmur that can be heard sometimes and sometimes not.

My vet recommended an echocardiogram be done to assess before going ahead with anesthesia for a dental. I agreed. There's no sedation involved and I can pick her up once it's done. Not sure when today because they have to fit that procedure in. The data is sent out to be read and the result should be in tomorrow. That will determine what dental, if any, is safe for her.

Needless to say this is stressful but I know that I'll feel calmer about it all once the physiologic responses quiet down ...
    ;) Ever the scientist!

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  47. Djamila

Oh, Meadow! It really is always something with our kitties, isn't it? Hopefully it's not anything serious. I love her name, by the way! That's so pretty!

48. Djamila

Okay, so Sam was crying again so I started the Metronizadole. Sometimes I am too impatient to wait for answers to my own questions. Sigh.

He took his first pill like a champ. Well, first he bit, hissed and ran away. But then I explained to him that he needed to take it, and the second attempt was a win on the first try! ;)

Can you say that? The 47th attempt worked on the first try! (haha)

49. Kris & Teasel

What a character! I hope his tummy settles. :)
    It suits her - she's a pretty little cat. My three are litter mates that came home with me from the stable where I bought my horse 7 years ago. The place is called Teaselwood Stables, hence the names Teasel and Woody for the two boys. I stuck with the pastoral theme and named their sister Meadow. Three wonderful kitties! :smuggrin:

Beenie (GA) and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  50. Djamila

It's dental day! :nailbiting:

My kitties have been fasting since 10pm last night. They usually eat breakfast at 4am, and it's now 7:15. It would be fair to say that they are hungry, confused, and unhappy. I've heard vocalizations this morning that I have never heard before.

I skipped breakfast too since it seemed a little cruel to sit here and eat in front of them, but refuse to give them any. Thankfully, only about 30 minutes left before I can crate him and head out the door. Of course, then I have to abandon him at the vet, so that isn't really going to make things better. Sigh. Poor little guy. Plus, he's going to wake up to mysteriously missing teeth. This has to be so scary and strange for them!

Someone who has had a kitty with teeth extractions, pretty please reassure me that he's going to adjust to the missing teeth and be okay? :(

51. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Aw I'm sure he'll be fine Djamila! We've seen cats lose all their teeth and be perfectly happy and healthy! He'll probably feel even better than now since the yucky tooths will be gone!!!

52. Djamila

Thank you, Rachel! I was a wreck this morning. After listening to him cry for four hours, and then seeing that +3 test, and then dropping him at the vet. As soon as they took him I burst into tears in the lobby of the vet's office! They didn't know what to do with me. I kept assuring them I was fine, but people don't show emotion much up here in the stoic PNW. Now that I've been home for a bit and fed Atticus, and settled down a bit I'm feeling much calmer and more rational. What a morning!

53. Caitlin M

I'm sure it will all be fine Djamila! But I would have reacted the exact same way so far. Not eating to be fair to them, anxiety ridden and then cried. Lol you're not alone! Lots of hugs :kiss:

Djamila likes this.
  54. Yong & Maury GA

:bighug::bighug::bighug: Maybe this is the key to his 2nd honeymoon ;). I imagine I'll be a wreck when I have to leave Maury at the pet hotel :(and want to call them twice a day....

Djamila likes this.
  55. Kris & Teasel

I get it, Djamila! I cry easily too. You should have seen me when I had to leave Teasel at the hospital for DKA treatment ... Just yesterday, there was a young woman and her little boy at my vet clinic while I was picking up cat food. She must either have had a very sick pet or else just had one euthanized and was crying. I got all teary-eyed to0. Can't help myself ...

Djamila likes this.
  56. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh I'm so sorry you were so upset this morning:bighug:. Beenie's first dental she had to have two teeth pulled. She never missed them. I have to say I never had any issues with dental. I do wish they could just give them laughing gas and not put them out completely:rolleyes: but they are cats and don't understand whats going on and surely wouldn't know what to do if the vet said "spit". What time do you pick Sam up?

PS I feel for you on the fasting! That is the worst part!!!

Djamila likes this.
  57. Djamila

My pet sitter texts me pictures of them whenever she stops by. maybe you can ask them to do that?

58. Djamila

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with Beenie! It really helps to know that other kitties have gone through this and been fine. How long until she could eat normally and was free from pain? how can you tell when they don't hurt anymore?

He only ended up with two teeth being pulled, and the vet said he went over the x-rays very carefully to make sure the other teeth were all okay.

59. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I would have cried too! Did I ever tell you about when Gypsy was diagnosed? I gave her a saline shot to practice and then I burst into sobs while she laid on the table and purred...vet must have thought I was nuts since clearly she was perfectly fine and happy!!!!

60. Djamila

Repost from my Lantus thread:

Okay, we are home. He is loopy and he keeps putting his face in my hands like he wants to let me know there's something wrong with his mouth. Poor baby.

First thing he did was jump in the litter box and let loose a flood that he'd probably been holding all day (plus the elevated BG). Then he dug right in and started eating. He didn't even care about getting his test because he was so busy eating through the whole process. I always add extra water to the food, but added a bit more tonight to help him stay hydrated (they hydrated him at the vet too). It feels weird to test and shoot without there being treats involved, but vet said nothing dry for 5-7 days. Oh, his BG was 275 on the human meter...

That number would have made my heart stop, but the vet had called a couple of hours ago and let me know that he was up to 360 on the AlphaTrak, so I'd already had my heart attack for the day. Trying to just take all of this one step at a time right now. No use worrying about what we can't control tonight, right? We'll just start working from here and hope that the numbers come down once he's rested, hydrated, calm, and free of bad teeth.

61. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'm 110% sure that number is from the stressful day that baby has had. What with the no breakfast, dental, and time at the vet after, he is surely just stressed out and has no idea what's going on!

Now that he's home and eating (yay!!!), things will get better. I'm sure his numbers will come right back down since he's at home and can have food at his normal time again. I know you're BOTH so glad it's over and he's home! I hope you both get some really good rest tonight because I know it's been horribly stressful for you both. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
  62. Kris & Teasel

I hope you have a bottle of your favourite wine at home. Open it soon!! :smuggrin:

Djamila likes this.
  63. Djamila

I was actually thinking of inviting you all over for margaritas on the balcony! I could surely use some relaxation after this day.

Sam has settled down in a sunny patch on the bedroom floor. He's locked in there for now to keep Atticus from hissing at him tonight. Once the anesthesia has worn off I'll let them be together again, but they are pretty rough with each other, and Sam just doesn't look like he has it in him to fight back tonight. I have a security camera that I can use to keep an eye on him, but I'm trying to just let him have some quiet time to get some rest. We are super off schedule right now, but I don't mind at all if we can move the morning shot time a bit later. Getting up at 4am during the summer is rough!

64. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Ohhh margaritas on the balcony sound good to me! That's what we really need :)

Djamila likes this.
  65. Kris & Teasel

Agreed!! :D

Djamila likes this.
  66. Yong & Maury GA

I'll just drink iced tea :p

Rachel, Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
  67. Beenie (GA)

:bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Eating is/was the good sign. Sam will be himself probably as early as tomorrow morning!! It appears I missed the margaritas! Sorry I was MIA tonight, was out with the girls tonight. Let me know how Sam is in the am.

:)

68. Djamila

Well, he's gone from 275 to 69 in three hours. So at least he's less stressed now? ;):nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

Caitlin M likes this.
  69. Beenie (GA)

Oh good lord. Do I need to worry?? What does dropping that fast mean? Just keep an eye on the stinker and he'll be fine :bighug:
    I'm not leaving until that number goes up

70. Djamila

I have no idea what it means. On prozinc it would mean he just hit nadir and would start rising. He's pretty much followed that pattern so far on Lantus, so he may be done. I'm just not confident of that at this point. Plus, I have no idea what the anesthesia will do to the whole equation. I'm going to test again in a few minutes and if he's any lower I'm just going to give him a mess of gravy. I'm hoping that he's done and will rise on his own though.

71. Beenie (GA)

Don't panic. I was googling "Sugar Dance" images in hopes to send you something to make you smile. Not so much, the world we live in very disturbing......

Will Sam eat a little MC/HC pate? I would give him a little and see

72. Beenie (GA)

I do think he'll probably rise on his own. I imagine that Sam is finally relaxed, that he feels better, he's home with mum and took a BIG deep breath and dropped a few points.

I think about when I'm content, take a breath, and that has to do something to your blood sugar levels, you feel relief. Its normal

Djamila likes this.
  73. Djamila

LOL! I can only imagine what that would have brought up!:eek: :stop:

He'll definitely eat high carb food! I don't mind him running down in these lower numbers. He seems to feel better the lower he goes. The only problem is the steep drop which might stick him a bit higher tomorrow. It's too late to avoid that at this point, so as long as he's in safe numbers, I'm inclined to just let him run on his own. If he drops much lower I'll give him something though.

He's always been good about steering himself, and right now he's still cuddled with his full food dish and not eating, so I think he's probably okay. About ten more minutes 'til the next test...

74. Beenie (GA)

Ok let me know after you test.

75. Djamila

Sorry for the delay. Tonight is a big parade in my neighborhood and it goes right under my balcony. He's at 62, and since I got distracted I'm guessing he's about done dropping. I'll do another test to be sure, but 69 to 62 is within meter variation, so I think he should be rising by the next test (knock on wood)

76. Beenie (GA)

Ok thanks for letting me know. I'm going to call it unless you need me and I'll hang until you feel you guys are in the clear. It's no problemo;)

77. Djamila

I think he's fine. He's looking sooooo much better than he did a few hours ago when he got home! Amazing what some quiet and rest can do!

78. Djamila

Thanks for hanging out! Sleep well!

79. Beenie (GA)

I know its an ordeal and a half to go to the vet. Sam had a very big day and I'm glad he's doing better. :cat:

He'll be wrestling Atticus by noon tomorrow :D

Djamila likes this.
  80. Kris & Teasel

I hope it all worked out OK, Djamila.

81. Djamila

Yup, the next test he was starting to rise and ended up with a nearly identical cycle to the night before. His PS was a smidge lower than normal this morning which was nice to see.

Beenie (GA) and Kris & Teasel like this.
  82. Djamila

Well, he certainly seems to be responding to the insulin now! 111 to 58 in 2.75 hours. I don't know if it's leftover anesthesia effect, or hitting a better dose, or getting rid of those nasty teeth, but it looks like he's up for some more pokes today! Thank goodness the pain meds are making him not care at all about the tests!

Rachel, Kris & Teasel and Caitlin M like this.
  83. Beenie (GA)

Sam is certainly responding!! How is Sam feeling otherwise? Still out of it from the anesthesia?

84. Djamila

I'm actually a little worried about him. He didn't sleep all night. Just sat on the end of the bed and stared at the door. Same thing this morning. I left him in the room with the lights off, the relaxing kitty music playing, and he's still just sitting there staring around and not sleeping. He's also afraid to leave the bedroom even if the door is open. I tried bringing him out, but as soon as I set him down, he ran right back in and hopped up on the bed. I don't at all mind him hiding out in the room until he feels better, I just wish he would go to sleep!

85. Beenie (GA)

Hmmm. I think it's worth letting the vet know and see what they say. If you told me that he was still sleeping that would make sense. The fact that he isn't sleeping is little odd. Is your vet open yet?

86. Djamila

I just got off the phone with them. They said sleeplessness is a known side effect although less common. They said to call back around noon if he still hasn't fallen asleep. The vet was a little shocked at how low his BG was last night and this morning after seeing the 360 last night.

87. Beenie (GA)

Ok so kind of like Benedryl, in most it makes them sleepy. For the few it causes them to be jittery.

That 360 was at the vet's office, right?

Djamila likes this.
  88. Djamila

Yes, and on the AT2. So probably comparable to the 275 I got when we got home. Or 275 might actually read more than 360 on the AT2 - no real way to know the difference, but I've seen between 20-30% as a rough estimate from other checks in the office between their meter and my meter.

He's in much better numbers after his shot/relaxation last night and this morning so far.

89. Beenie (GA)

Keep me posted :bighug::bighug:

90. Djamila

Nobody move! Nobody breathe loudly! His eyes are finally closed....

91. Djamila

Ah, no luck. He was just faking me out. Wide awake again. :(

How is it even possible for an animal that sleeps 20 hours/day to be awake this long?!?!

92. Beenie (GA)

Still? :confused:

93. Djamila

Still awake. And about ten minutes ago, contractors started running a power saw in the unit downstairs. It sounds like my neighbor has decided to start her remodel this morning. No chance he's going to sleep now. :(

I did some googling though, and it sounds like this isn't all that uncommon and should wear off soon. I'm guessing that once it does wear off and he finally falls asleep, he's probably going to sleep for three days straight and I'll be posting about how worried I am that I can't wake him up!:rolleyes:

94. Beenie (GA)

They keep us on our toes, don't they ;)

Boo power saw:facepalm:

95. Kris & Teasel

I wonder if he's hallucinating? Or some sort of paradoxical effect of bupe?

96. Djamila

Hmmm....maybe that's what it was. It did kind of seem like he was seeing something that wasn't there. He's still not asleep, but the noise downstairs has stopped. It seems like he's making better eye contact now, so maybe we're turning a corner on this. I have to leave at 1pm for a meeting and won't be home until 3-3:30ish. Maybe he'll have better luck sleeping if I'm out of the house instead of obsessing over whether he's asleep yet or not. :rolleyes:

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  97. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'd be worried too but I'm sure hell be okay! Sams a trooper...and maybe he just needs to get reacclimated to being safe at home before he risks sleeping?

98. Beenie (GA)

How's Sam tonight?

99. Djamila

100. Beenie (GA)

Just keep an eye on him. Very well could have slept the whole time you out today.

I'm going to jump on a computer shortly and I'll check the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.