Sam Update

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Djamila, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

It's been a very long time since I've posted a thread of my own. Since I'm home sick today (just a little cold, nothing serious), I thought I'd take a minute and give a little update.

Sam is about a week into another pancreatitis flare. It's been a few months since his last serious one, and we've all been thankful for the respite. He's still eating, although it's taking some encouragement and bribery to keep him going. He's not eating his usual calories, but he's also much less active when he's sick so his weight is holding so far, and he's staying hydrated.

Even when he's not in a pancreatitis flare, his insulin needs seem to be climbing steadily, with far fewer dips into healthy numbers. Although most clinical signs are overall quite good still, his coat is betraying his health issues as it is losing it's smooth shine and beginning to look more like an old man kitty - a bit more ragged and dull.

When he's feeling better, he still loves to go out for walks on his leash, and has become quite famous here in our new neighborhood. The mail carrier in particular likes to stop by when he's out and marvels at a leash-walking cat. Sam also runs and plays in the house like a kitty who still has health and vigor. He delights in running up and down the stairs to the attic rooms and zooming the full length of the house. And he grows more affectionate and snuggly all the time. He's gone from being my ferocious feral kitty to the sweetest little thing ever. Once in awhile he'll even lay down for his BG test instead of wiggling all over impatiently.

I confess to giving him too many treats these days. Especially when he's sick like this, I probably give him too many pieces of freeze dried chicken and salmon under the guise of keeping him eating.

Atticus is watchful and purrs over Sam, making sure to groom him regularly when he's not feeling well. Atty himself is doing better than ever. He's lost weight since we moved to the new house, and has healed from his sprained leg so he can jump up on everything again, and more and more is asking to play with the wand toys so he can leap and hunt.

Atty does not want to go outside. He was born an indoor cat and is perfectly content to chatter at birds out the window and sleep curled up under the heated blanket. He accidentally wandered out one time when Sam and I were leaving. When he noticed sky overhead instead of ceiling, he immediately turned and bolted back into the safety of the house. Honestly I'm glad because I can't imagine how it would work to walk two cats at the same time!

I think that's about it for my kitties. I continue to be so thankful for this community, in particular for the growing number of you who are able and willing to help out in responding to questions and worries as new folks join and old folks check-in. Being able to work together to help and support each other in caring for our sugar cats is a tremendous gift!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

All things considered Sam is doing well, Djamila. He's a senior with health concerns but still has fun running around your house and going outside. Try to focus on that. :bighug::bighug: Is Atty around the same age?

3. Djamila

It's hard to say for sure. Sam was a grown-up when he was captured and dropped at the shelter by a grumpy neighbor, so his age is just a guess. He is probably around 13 now, but may be older than that. Atty also has a spotty history. He has always had humans, but was given up by three different families before I got him, so his history is uncertain. He is likely about a year younger than Sam's estimated age, but that's assuming both of their original age estimates are correct. So they are probably pretty close to the same age, but I've always felt like Atty was younger - and he's certainly made of heartier stuff than Sam is.

While I hate it when he's sick like this, we've been through enough of these flares now that they don't shatter my heart as much as they used to. They seem to follow a fairly predictable pattern, so it's just a matter of keeping the meds going and waiting for it to pass. Keeping him as comfortable as possible. And as I mentioned, I'm so grateful that he gets more time between them now. It still makes me go :confused: that honestly I think good quality catnip is one of the best treatments for him when he's like this. Or at least it seems to be the thing he wants the most. Yeowww could start using that in its marketing ;)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Djamila

I meant to add a picture of my little adventure-kitty stalking a bug:
    upload_2018-12-7_11-59-25.jpeg

5. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

I tried to leash train Spot once upon a time. He was not amused! Very cute :cat:

6. Kris & Teasel

:bighug::bighug: How cute is he?!

7. Djamila

Sam really took to it pretty easily. The only training I had to do was getting him to stop trying to wiggle out of the harness. Every time he would do that I'd scoop him up and go back inside. After about a dozen times, he figured out that if he just keeps the thing on he can stay outside longer.

It probably took him longer to train me. I had to learn to just let him wander where he wants and how to run when he decides he wants to go fast. At first I would just start jogging behind him like normal, but that would scare him and cause all kinds of trouble. Eventually he taught me how to jog lightly and to the side instead of behind him. And he taught me how to just follow him instead of trying to make him walk like a dog.

Atty on the other hand - no chance. As soon as I put any sort of collar or harness on him he flops over and plays dead. If I try to stand him on his feet he immediately just flops back over. It's like it paralyzes him. It's kind of hilarious. And has turned out to be really handy at the vet. He used to fight like a wild cat at the vet, but now I bring him in with a harness on and he just lays there and lets the vet examine him - no more hissing or shrieking or climbing the walls. It's been much nicer for everyone!

Kris & Teasel, Caitlin M and SpotsMom like this.
  8. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Sam is so cute on his leash! I'd love to leash train at least one of my kitties. I feel like Oreo might go for it...I'm going to give it a try one day.

Djamila likes this.
  9. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

That's so sweet. My sister's cat walks on a leash and has a stroller he likes to ride around in. My girls have no desire whatsoever to go beyond the safe bubble of home, leash or no leash. I used to have a cat that went all kinds of places with me... Disney World, camping, anywhere, everywhere. Just like us, cat's are all different.

Djamila likes this.
  10. PPCW

PPCW Member

Hi Djamila,

Sam is so cute! I am so sorry to hear that Sam is going through a flare up. I know now what it is like to have a cat with pancreatitis. Coby just had one but fortunately he recovered rather quickly. I did have to syringe feed him for two days before he started eating on his own. I am so glad that I am a member here because I not only learned about diabetes management but also a whole lot of other stuff from you guys. I was able to act quickly and know what medication was needed for him.

I hope Sam recovers quickly and have lots of little adventures :cat:!

11. Djamila

I'm so sorry Coby had a bout of pancreatitis, but glad to hear he recovered quickly! And yes, this place is a wealth of knowledge - well beyond just FD. I am so grateful for all I've learned here, and for the collective wisdom of everyone!

PPCW likes this.
  12. Kris & Teasel

I agree!! I'm glad Coby's panc flare was short lived. They can be a real pain - literally and figuratively ... :mad:

PPCW likes this.
  13. PPCW

PPCW Member

I am not sure what caused the pancreatitis. His sugar has been fine (in the 80s). He started vomiting, wanted to eat but couldn’t. Poor guy actually vomitted a little of blood right before I took him to the vet. I was definitely freaking out at that point :nailbiting::confused:.

14. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I know I've shown my own 'cat in the sink" photo before. That was the little Persian mop sitting in the rain outside our back door, filthy and wet. He is the most gentle soul ever and his name is Sam. I hope that brings you some luck.

15. Djamila

@Jill & Alex (GA) @Bobbie And Bubba @StephG, and anyone else who has experience with R, I'm hoping you can help out.

It feels like the prozinc is doing nothing these days, and using R is about the only thing keeping Sam's numbers in check. I've been using it later in the cycle to hold down the rise that happens at the end of the cycle. If I use 0.5u, it seems to hold him relatively flat. If I use 0.75u, I get more of a drop. What should I be aiming for with this? And any thoughts on using it later like this, or should I move it to earlier in the cycle and give it with his prozinc shot? It's harder for me to monitor when I do it that way because of my work schedule, but I could try it on the weekends at least.

Anyway...if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I hate seeing him spending so much time in the yellows.

16. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey there Djamila! I am so sorry that Sam has been stalling with the ProZinc. Just a few questions:

Has he had a vet visit recently to rule out any infections like teeth issues or other?

I am hoping that Jill will weigh in as .75 seems like a hefty dose for the R. I don't believe I ever has to give Bubba any more than .25 of R to get him about 50 points lower and help to break through his insulin resistance.

My ProZinc brain seems so long ago so I am not feeling really qualified to help with R and ProZinc.

I will be interested to see what his PMPS is.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

17. Djamila

Thanks so much Bobbie!

His teeth were cleaned in August, and he had an exam a couple weeks ago, but we didn't do a blood panel as I was actually just there for my civvie who was having an ear infection. Sam and Atty dont' like being separated, so I bring them both along when we go. The vet checked Sam just to be nice when I mentioned he was needing a lot more insulin lately (checked his teeth, ears, listened to his heart, poked around a bit, took his temp, etc.). All of that checked out okay. Sam is having a fairly serious pancreatitis flare up, which I believe is the cause of the lack of insulin response right now, although that doesn't explain the long climb in dose that has spanned the past couple of months, unless he's just been in low level panc this whole time - certainly possible.

I know it's been awhile since prozinc and R have been used together, so just pretend that you're giving advice to someone using it with Lantus and I'll work on figuring out the Prozinc part. Honestly, I doubt there will be all that much of a difference based on what I've been able to read so far.