Sam's update - part 2 (renamed since he is past the "bad" incident)

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Djamila, Apr 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I got home from running errands, unloaded the groceries, and set the reusable grocery bags on the floor by the front door. Then I heard Sam meowing at the door which he does when he wants out, but when I looked over, he was peeing on the grocery bags!

That's what he's done both times he started into diabetes (peeing in inappropriate places). He hasn't had insulin in 24 hours, so I figured his BG was back up, but when I tested him just now, he was at 127 which isn't that high, especially since he had just finished eating about 30-40 minutes before.

He's playing with Atticus right now, and had pooped while I was gone. I dipped a test strip in before I cleaned up the puddle, and everything looks normal.....so what the heck?!?! Why did he do that?

Also, I think he's staying home now. I don't want to bring him to my friend's house if he's inclined to pee outside the box today!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Teasel would pee outside the litterbox when he had a cystitis episode (not always an infection involved).

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. Since he has been in great numbers lately, I wonder too if he has a UTI and he is letting you know that he is associating the LB with discomfort. Has he ever had a UTI?

4. Djamila

No, he's never had a UTI, and didn't seem to be in discomfort, peed a normal amount, no blood, and normal leukocytes on the test strip (although I realize there is some disagreement if those are reliable or no). And never been diagnosed with pancreatitis or IBD (although I've though he has mild IBD based on his occasional bouts with diarrhea). Although I'm guessing one of those is the culprit since randomly peeing outside the litter box seems unlikely.

5. Bobbie And Bubba

When Forrest, civvie, had a UTI, he peed on some newpapers on the floor right in front of me! He didn't seem to be in distress either. I took him to the vet with a urine sample and he had sturvite crystals in his urine. Of course the vet wanted him on RX wet food, expensive and not good quality but, I did my homework and started added some organic blueberry powder in his food to make the urine more acidic so crystals could not form and he never had another one.

StephG likes this.
  6. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

We have small rugs under and around the cat boxes. Smoky has peed on those once in a while instead of in the box. I don't know if he just misses the box or it is due to his various health issues. He's certainly keeping you busy today though.:eek:

7. Djamila

If it is a UTI (I thought cats didn't get those on wet food?!?), what is the treatment? Does he need antibiotics? Or just start adding blueberry powder/something similar?

8. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

I don't know the ins and outs of natural remedies for UTI. Smoky was always prescribed antibiotics whenever he had a UTI.

Djamila likes this.
  9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If it's a UTI then antibiotics... But I have headed off full blown uti by adding a small amount of apple cider vinegar to food or water.

10. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

If cats didn't get those on wet food, my life would be MUCH easier! Nah, trust me, they do...Tigress is in the process of getting over one (and I'm a bit worried about whether she's actually feeling better or not...we go for a recheck soon to find out). When did Sam last have a vet visit? It couldn't hurt...and if he does have a UTI, I believe antibiotics are the best choice.

Djamila likes this.
  11. Djamila

He's due for a full vet visit/blood work/rabies in August, so his last visit was probably last August. I think I'll take him in tomorrow, or at least try to grab a urine sample to drop off. He's curled up with me and has been here for about an hour. He doesn't like sleeping with people, so it makes me worry that he's doing this (even if it is about the cutest thing ever!).

12. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

They actually eat / drink with apple cider vinegar in it? Surprised :woot:. I also heard cranberry is good for helping UTI crystals? Anyone else heard this?

13. JanetNJ

It's only like 1/8-1/4 of a teaspoon.

14. Yong & Maury GA

Could that be done as preventative? :bookworm:

15. JanetNJ

I suppose so if you give it once or twice a week.

http://www.petnet.io/pet_health_blogs/holistic-healing-for-cats-apple-cider-vinegar#.WP0nIIEpCEc

I use it myself for heartburn. I used to have to take nexium because of get bad heartburn that caused asthma problems. At first the nexium worked great, then after 3 months it stopped working. That's when I learned about acv. I took a spoonful and in less than a min i had no more heartburn. The first week I took it a few days. Now I only take it maybe once a month of I have digestive issues.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  16. Bobbie And Bubba

yes cranberry or blueberry, it is to make the urine more acidic so crystals can't form.

17. Bobbie And Bubba

Apparently AB are not indicated in less there is an infection and not all UTI issue are due to bacteria and AB's are overused. Some kitties get cystitis from stress and no infection is present. I think Dr. Lisa Pierson addresses this and if I can find the info on it I will post.

Lois and Java likes this.
  18. Bobbie And Bubba

Here is the info on Dr. Lisa website, a good read and tells the only way the vet can know with certainty if there is bacteria causing the cystitis is to do a Culture and Sensitivity ( C& S) If you go this route and no bacteria, and inappropriate urinating is still happening, I would go the route of a little bit of either blueberry powder or cranberry powder. I got my organic blueberry powder online. Wellness wet cat food puts cranberry in their food for just this reason. Below is from Dr Lisa's website.

A very important note on antibiotic usage in these cases: Most cases of cystitis are sterile. In other words, they are not the result of an infection and the patient should not be placed on antibiotics.
    Only ~1% of cats with cystitis that are under 10 years of age have a urinary tract infection, yet many veterinarians place these patients on antibiotics when these drugs are not warranted. Most cats under 10 years of age produce a very concentrated urine (USG greater than 1.035) and bacteria do not grow well in concentrated urine.
    In cats over 10 years of age, infections are more common but that still does not mean that older cats with cystitis should automatically be put on antibiotics. The reason that an older cat is more prone to urinary tract infections is because kidney disease is more common in this age group and so these cats will have a more dilute urine which is not as hostile to bacterial growth.
    Diabetes and hyperthyroidism are also more common in cats over 10 years of age and both disease render the patient more prone to urinary tract infections.
    That said, only ~20% – or less – of all older cats that present with lower urinary tract signs (see Feline Urinary Tract Health – Cystitis) actually have an infection so ~80% of this age group exhibiting these clinical signs do not need to be put on antibiotics.
    A urine culture and sensitivity (C & S) should be run to check for an infection, especially if the patient has a low urine specific gravity or is diabetic. It must be kept in mind that even with a low USG, most cases of cystitis are not due to an infection. This is why it is important to run a C & S before placing the patient on antibiotics.
    Antibiotics are NOT harmless drugs and they need to be used with more critical thought than is currently happening in both human and veterinary medicine.
    This is especially true of Convenia. Please do not allow that drug to be injected into your cat without reading my Convenia webpage first.
    A C & S test identifies the bacteria (if present) and tells the veterinarian which antibiotic is appropriate. The urine for a C & S needs to be obtained by way of cystocentesis which involves using a syringe and needle to obtain urine directly from the bladder.
    This is not a painful procedure for the cat and this method is the only way to obtain a sample for accurate information in order to properly treat with antibiotics. One problem, however, is that a sample may be difficult to obtain without waiting a couple of hours since cats with cystitis urinate frequently and often do not have enough urine in their bladder to get a good sample.
    To get around this problem, your veterinarian can give the your cat a dose of subcutaneous (just under the skin) fluids. The patient is then put into a cage without a litter box. Within a couple of hours (or less), the bladder is usually full enough to obtain a urine sample via cystocentesis.
    We have to stop treating all cases of cystitis with antibiotics without supporting evidence of an infection!
    Cystitis will often recur in these patients and this painful health problem can be very frustrating to deal with. On a good note, most cats will have their clinical signs spontaneously resolve even without any treatment. In fact, it has often been said, jokingly, that a cat with cystitis will often stop exhibiting clinical signs within seven days with antibiotics and in one week without antibiotics.
    Unfortunately, when people don’t understand this issue, antibiotics often get the credit when they had nothing to do with the patient’s improvement. When this happens, the abuse of antibiotics continues.

ETA:

Treatments for sterile cystitis include:
    1. Pain medication;
    2. increasing water consumption with a canned food diet, etc.;
    3. decrease the patient’s stress – not always easy since cats can be very ‘silent’ in their stress and we may not always be aware of what is bothering them;
    4. glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate/hyaluronic acid products such as Cosequin or Trixsyn may help but studies have not supported them as being beneficial. That said, they don’t seem to have any downsides and may be worth a try.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    Reason for edit: ETA
  19. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Do you remember what kind you used? My civvie gets these and was just treated for his UTI.

My civvie won't use the litter box to pee. I think it's pain in is front feet from being declawed before I got him. He associates the box with pain when peeing so he won't go in it. He uses pee pads. I buy a box of 300 "chucks" for $30 on ebay.
    Chuck and Kitty both got UTIs on wet food with extra water added to their food.

20. Bobbie And Bubba

I have been racking my brain as to where I got the organic blueberry powder. I did a search and found the online store. Nuts is in the name. Something like Nuts Plus

StephG likes this.
  21. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yep, Bobbie is correct! I should have said that...Elektra has cystitis from stress and when she gets a flare up (which has become alarmingly often sigh) we don't give her any AB. Tigress had an actual infection...they found bacteria in her urine so we got her on an AB to kick that. But I would strongly suggest a culture and sensitivity...that's how we determined Elektra had cystitis since no bacteria grew...and that way you'll know for sure if it is an infection that requires AB or if it's just inflammation...which doesn't. :)

22. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Lois and Java likes this.
  23. Bobbie And Bubba

24. Kris & Teasel

Teasel is/was a stress cystitis kitty. Since his FD diagnosis with all the extra TLC that involves as well as warm water added to all wet food meals, he hasn't had a flare. It's well over a year now. Fingers crossed ...

MiCo, Yong & Maury GA, StephG and 2 others like this.
  25. Bobbie And Bubba

I think the water added to food is a biggie! I no longer do the added blueberry powder, that stopped when I started using Wellness. But since I have them on raw food now, I add a tbsp. of water to every oz of raw meat they get and we've been UTI free for a while. Every now and then Forrest will pee inappropriately when he is mad that I am not feeding him fast enough of letting him outside fast enough. Cats! :banghead:

StephG and Rachel like this.
  26. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I've been told cats are incapable of those feelings and actions- spiteful, revenge.
    Whoever decided this as fact has never met my cat Kitty-cow!!

Djamila and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  27. Bobbie And Bubba

I agree, Forrest is the sweetest/most spiteful kitty. He a personality disorder and possibly a split personality, LOL . But, God is cute and when he's good, he's very good which thankfully is most of the time. :p

Djamila likes this.
  28. Djamila

Lol...You cannot spend time with a real live cat and think they are incapable of spite and revenge! I should have recorded Sam's little temper tantrum a couple days ago -- the eye contact and defiant glares while knocking things down were pretty clear!

Okay, just trying to get my ducks in a row about tomorrow:

- If I can get into the vet tomorrow, I need to ask for a culture and sensitivity test before getting an antibiotic.
    - Just dropping off a urine sample won't cut it - they have to do the needle extraction to get the sample (oh my poor baby!)
    - If he does have a UTI, which antibiotic should I use/avoid?
    - If he doesn't have a UTI, is there anything I should request? pain meds? anti-inflammatory? (I know nothing about any of this, so thank you all in advance for not laughing at me too much).

Then on a home remedy angle: keep adding extra water to their food and maybe add some blueberry or cranberry? I think the Nature's Instinct already has blueberry, but I don't know if it's enough, and he hasn't been eating it lately -- might be time to start serving it again.

Also, I'm at my friends' dinner party right now, and just stepped out to ask all of this. Maybe I worry too much about my cat? ;)

29. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

When Kitty had a really bad crystals and infection flare I requested something for pain and inflammation because he was straining. He got 2 days of metacam because he was really bad but I've read a lot of negative opinions on it here.

Djamila likes this.
  30. Bobbie And Bubba

Avoid metcam as it is bad for cats. Use a different anti inflammatory than that one. It has been black labeled for cats. It's okay for dogs , bad for cats

No convenia as an antibiotic. It is a injected one that lasts 14 days. If Sam were to have a reaction to it , it can't be removed from his body. If there is infection the vet will give the apportioned AB for the bacteria strain.

Any more times he went out of the box? if you suspect he is straining or in pain ask for a pain Med like bup. If it is being caused by inflammation, they can have pain even without an infection.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Djamila and StephG like this.
  31. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yep, if they'll do the C&S, they will usually prescribe the antibiotic that should work best. The way the C&S works (to give you a quick run down since we've had it done several times) is they send the sample to a lab. The lab tries to grow the bacteria and if it does grow, they try different AB on it to see which will work best. That's why it's best to do that...first you see IF an infection exists at all (sometimes that helps rule it out) and if it does, WHICH AB works best on it. If they suspect an infection, they might start him on AB right away and then call in a few days when the results are in to switch it if needed. I've had that before, which was fine.

A note: it can be somewhat expensive...but as Dr. Lisa says it's a pay me now or pay me later kind of thing. Getting it right away helps you to be sure you do what's best for it right away if it IS an infection.

If' it's just inflammation, they'll do different things for it. My vet has given us Onsior, which is an NSAID used for cats...it's a pill given for 3 days that seems to help us, but it's still fairly new. I kind of prefer bupe, like Bobbie said, but my vet isn't a huge fan of it. Onsior hasn't caused problems, I just feel like the bupe was faster...

If you can, grab a copy of his labs. You'll want to know the pH of his urine and the Urine Specific Gravity (my vet has resigned himself to the fact that I want this info and no longer even bothers to explain it to me LOL). That'll help tell you if you need to add something to make his urine more acidic.

If it's crystals, ask if it is struvite or calcium oxalate. Struvite can be fixed with diet...and you don't need the prescription diet for it...we just switched to Wellness.

Anyway, that's a ton of info and most of it won't be necessary since I highly doubt it will be all that. With luck, they'll tell you he is fine and it was just a one time thing! I just wanted to give you a summary of the info I have...which was probably way more than you wanted lol. I'll be checking back today when I can, please do let us know how things go!

32. Bobbie And Bubba

And I just want to add, that hopefully it is a behavioral "pee outside of the box" thing and you could get some feliaway spray and spray it in areas that Sam lays/sleeps to help relax him. And rescue remedy added to the water helped too. That is what I did with Forrest when he was a streak of doing it almost weekly but, thankfully always in front of me so I could clean it up and neutralize the smell with enzymes. Forrest went almost a year with out doing it and just did so about a week ago. :rolleyes: When Forrest started this behavior, we were renovating and painting, redoing hard wood floors and there was lots of noxious odors. He told my Animal Communicator that "this place stinks!" and it was upsetting him.

It's always best to rule out that it is not a physical problem before assuming it is behavioral. Expensive but then you know.

33. Djamila

Thanks so much everyone! No more incidents, and this morning he hopped right in the box without hesitation. Both Primal and Nature's Variety raws have blueberries and cranberries, so guess what he got for dinner and breakfast? He still prefers the canned food over raw, but he'd eat a shoe if I put fortiflora on it, so he had a good breakfast. Now fingers crossed that the vet can even see us today!

34. Djamila

They just took Sam back to do the urine test and I'm trying not to cry while I listen to him growl back there. I think I hate the vet as much as he does!

35. Bobbie And Bubba

AHHHH hugs and more hugs.:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: He'll be okay. It doesn't hurt, Bubba and Forrest have both had it done.

Djamila likes this.
  36. Stressedcatmom

Stressedcatmom Well-Known Member

Good vibes! :cat:

Djamila likes this.
  37. Kris & Teasel

:(:bighug:

Djamila likes this.
  38. Djamila

Quick dosing advice, please:

Just got home from the vet, and even with vet stress, he's only at 144. I'm thinking I might skip tonight because he's stressed and hiding under the bed. What do you all think?

Or should I shoot because he is stressed, and his pancreas might need some help? 0.2? 0.4? Or just let him chill under the bed? (He isn't even coming out for food)

39. JanetNJ

If you give aanything no more than 0.4.... Let him chill a little first. It would also be perfectly fine to skip.

40. Kris & Teasel

Any of those could work. Depends on whether he comes out from under the bed.

41. Djamila

He's out and eating. What is in fortiflora?!?! Still can't decide what to do....where is my crystal ball?

42. Yong & Maury GA

I'm glad he came out and ate :bighug:. I think the others are on to something, no more than 0.4U. I'd probably do 0.2U on the safer side :rolleyes:, ha listen to me.

43. Djamila

I'm going with 0.2u...because it's the middle of the three options, and when I can't decide, I always go with the middle way...(insert buddah emoji)

44. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Lol I think that's a good choice! I like the going with the middle dose when you're undecided. Poor boy! Are they doing a C&S?

45. Djamila

Yes ($$$). They said it takes a few days to get it back. The vet also said that most of the time it isn't bacterial, so she didn't want to start him on antibiotics unnecessarily (hooray for smart vets!). Some basic lab results will be back in the morning, and then the C&S will be back when the lab is done trying to grow it (I think she said three days, but I'm not sure on that). She mentioned the injection AB when I said I was leaving town, but then immediately said they don't recommend that.

PS Shooting a 0.2u was almost silly. It's so tiny I couldn't even tell if I'd pushed the syringe in.

PPS Sam might have been given an excessive amount of treats when he got his injection tonight. :rolleyes:

46. Djamila

Oh, and also he doesn't have crystals or stones, so yeah for that.

Stressedcatmom and Kris & Teasel like this.
  47. Yong & Maury GA

We won't tell ;) Give lots of loving too [​IMG]

48. Djamila

This wasn't his regular vet, because his regular vet wasn't in today, and I didn't want to wait until Wednesday. I really liked her though. She immediately wanted to do the C&S, without me even asking about it. Which could be because it's expensive, but I'm choosing to believe it's because she knows it's important. And also, she knew a lot about FD, and we had a nice talk about Prozinc and Lantus and hometesting. Oh, and also, Sam is down to 11.4 pounds, so that's great. She did still say he could lose another pound, but I think he's skinny enough already!

49. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I really think it's because she knows what she is doing. I believe the C&S money you pay goes all to the lab doing the testing...the vet probably doesn't get much, if any of it. Yeah, it should take 3 days to grow.

Sounds like this vet knows her stuff!

Djamila likes this.
  50. Kris & Teasel

I live my life by that precept!

51. Djamila

The only thing I didn't like was that she didn't want to give him anything for pain. She said he didn't respond to the tests like cats do when they're in pain, so she thinks he's fine. I would have preferred to have something to give him just in case, but didn't feel like insisting since he seems pretty okay to me too.

52. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

If he does act like he's in pain later, call the vet and insist. But if he doesn't seem like he's in pain to you, he's probably not. He's peeing fine right? My guess is that you're not going to find any bacteria and that it's just going to be a behavioral thing or something...we'll see!

53. Djamila

If that's his behavior, we're going to need to have a looooooong talk about that!

He peed fine this morning. I haven't seen him go this evening.

54. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

He's probably not feeling pain,then. I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Djamila likes this.
  55. Djamila

Vet update: The regular vet called last night and said the preliminary results were all normal, so most likely it's behavioral. Grrrr.... I can't figure out what's got him upset though - nothing out of the ordinary going on here that I can discern. The C&S won't be back for another day or two, but most likely those will be fine too since he hasn't had any more incidents since that one.

Also, does anyone have a pair of patience pants I can borrow? I know there's no reason to complain about his numbers at all...I'm just feeling impatient today. Maybe because I'm home sick (and bored) today and just keep staring at him and willing his pancreas to heal.

56. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

57. Djamila

LOL!!! Thank you!

58. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Lol you're so welcome! They come in all sizes!!!!

Sam may have just been stressed out that day...you say he hasn't done it since right?

59. Djamila

Nope, he's peed quite appropriately since then. I was thinking about that day, and it was at about hour 20 without insulin, and his number was rising at the time. Not terribly at all, but I wonder if it was his way of letting me know. Or maybe he was just being a cat. :cat:

60. Djamila

Has anyone else noticed that their cat's BG is higher when he's constipated? I'm not sure if that's a thing yet, but I noticed it last time he was overdue to poop, and I'm wondering if that's what's going on this time? It's also possible that I gave him a fur shot yesterday (I didn't check after the shot), and also possible that it's just one of those things...

Stressedcatmom likes this.
  61. Yong & Maury GA

62. Stressedcatmom

Have you tried adding 1/8 tsp of mirilax? Yoshi had hard dry poos when this started, and he felt like a ton of bricks. It's definitely helping.

63. Djamila

Aha! So it's not my imagination! I give my civvie miralax from time to time since he gets bound up every few weeks. Sam will eat pumpkin though, so I'm hoping that will be enough to get him going. If he doesn't produce soon though, we'll move to miralax. I also added even more extra water to the food today. Hopefully he'll have pooped by the time I get home from work tonight......Ah, the things we talk about!

64. Stressedcatmom

Good vibes for a nice poo gift when you get home!

65. Djamila

Lol...thanks! :smuggrin:

66. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

This is one I can explain! While thirst can increase with high BG, so does urine output. The kidneys are trying to flush the extra glucose out, and so all the extra water leaving in the urine mean there's less water staying in the stool which causes those hard, dry poops and/or constipation.

67. Djamila

Oh! Which reminds me...the vet also said no glucose in the urine. So yeah for that!

Although he's still higher than he should be, so that explanation about the connection between BG and poop makes sense!

68. Djamila

We have poop! Just thought I'd update since I'm sure you have all spent the day worrying about this...;)

69. Djamila

C&S results are back - no bacteria, everything looks healthy, all the other tests came back perfectly normal -- including the BG. The vet congratulated me on getting him back into remission. I tried to refrain from yelling "ANTI-JINX" into the phone, since we don't consider him in remission yet.

The only thing that wasn't perfect was the urine concentration which indicated that he's a little dehydrated. Might also explain the constipation this week. Hopefully the extra water added into the food will help get that sorted soon.

70. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Glad the tests all came back good! :)

71. Djamila

72. Djamila

73. Stressedcatmom

Yay

74. Djamila

Tomorrow is day 14 for Yoshi, isn't it?

75. Stressedcatmom

Yes, and I won't be home during the day to celebrate with him (anti jinx) because it's my moms bday... I may have to postpone the celebration (anti jinx) until Monday.

I'm just over here trying to keep quiet!

I talked to my vet and she said to test him twice a week for a bit and then we can move to once a month (I'm way too neurotic to only test 1x per month). I asked her if she wanted to see him for any blood or urine work and she said no that as long as he is normal she would only have to see him in six months because diabetes was the only thing his blood panel showed. I kind of feel like she doesn't believe that he's doing so well and I kind of feel like she realized that she gave him too high a dose to start with. I also think she realized that the micro dosing that you guys suggested actually helped him get to where he is. I kind of don't think she thinks this will stick or realizes how much diet helped (and hopefully will help in future).

She didn't even want him in to check his weight, which I think I might suggest. I mean he was supposed to lose a couple pounds. He probably did, but I want to make sure it's not too rapid etc

Lots of love to my Prozinc fam!!

Yong & Maury GA and Djamila like this.
  76. Djamila

After a couple months into Sam's remission, I went from weekly tests to about once every two weeks, and then bonus tests if he was acting funny or seemed to be drinking a lot. I do sort of feel sorry for our vets sometimes. It has to be a little uncomfortable when a client comes in and says, "I heard from some people on the internet...." ...and then ends up being right!

77. Stressedcatmom

how long was Sam in remission?

78. Djamila

September 9, 2015 until February 5, 2017....so about a year and a half. I got complacent about the food and started feeding Stella and Chewy's Salmon and Chicken. The package said it's a freeze-dried raw food that's like 98% meat or something. I didn't bother to do the research -- turned out after he ended up with active diabetes again and I wrote to the company that it's over 20% carbs. I will never ever ever again feed him something without doing the research first!

Stressedcatmom likes this.
  79. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Woohoo Sam!!! It's like he really wants to try that R word again (anti jinx!!!!).

ALSO...CONGRATS YOSHI!!! (anti jinx)

80. Stressedcatmom

anti jinx everywhere!!

Yong & Maury GA and Djamila like this.
  81. Djamila

He's going to get a for-real trial over the next few days. I'm leaving for a conference and he's with the pet sitter again. He'll miss five shots while I'm gone. :nailbiting:

82. Stressedcatmom

Keep those greens while momma's away Sammy!

83. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Does your pet sitter test Djamila? Can't remember...

84. Djamila

She did last trip - although when I got home there were blood splatters all over and his ears were super bruised. :eek:

85. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Ouch!!! I was just wondering what his numbers would be like without the insulin, but might not be worth it for that!

Djamila likes this.
  86. Yong & Maury GA

Just doing an extra day for good luck! ;)

Rachel and Djamila like this.
  87. Djamila

@Yong - switching over here so we don't confuse Caitlin's thread anymore....Sam is getting a mini trial over the next couple of days while I'm gone. Unfortunately, I don't think he's actually ready for it though. His AMPS was 172 this morning, after his NS last night.

He'll be alright until I get back, but he doesn't seem to be in any hurry to get off of insulin right now. I'm curious to see where he's at when I get back on Tuesday.

88. Yong & Maury GA

Let's hope for a nice "welcome home" surprise :smuggrin:

Stressedcatmom and Djamila like this.
  89. Djamila

Well, 131 isn't bad, but it wasn't exactly the welcome home surprise I was hoping to find. Tried a 0.2u dose this morning. Not easy to pull that up and get rid of the air!!! And the plunger moves so little, I wasn't entirely sure I even gave him anything this morning....but his numbers did go down, so I think it worked out.

He's certainly taking his own sweet time right now! The most important thing though is that he's super active lately, eating a healthy amount, weight is good, eyes are bright, and he seems happier than I've seen him since this whole thing started.

Although that also might be because he just got a bunch of catnip and he's higher than a kite right now! :cat::cat::cat:

Rachel and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  90. Kris & Teasel

Looking good! Don't you love how silly they get on catnip?!

Djamila likes this.
  91. Blair & Freya

Blair & Freya Member

It's great that he's obviously feeling better. That has to be more satisfying than just about anything else.

Djamila likes this.
  92. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

And on the bright side, his time without insulin didn't propel him up in to yellows or higher!

Blair & Freya and Djamila like this.
  93. Djamila

PMPS is 151

I lowered to 0.2 this morning because the 0.4u dose was giving me flat cycles and NS cycles right before I left so I thought it might be too high. Any other thoughts on this? Should I keep trying 0.2 for a few cycles? Or stay with 0.4?

94. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hmmm...tough call. I think if he was mine, I'd stick with 0.2 for a couple cycles...see if he trends lower. Then you can raise in a few days if that doesn't seem to be working.

95. Yong & Maury GA

0.2U for a few cycles sounds good :)

96. Kris & Teasel

0.2 u looks good I think.

97. Djamila

Okey-dokey -- he got a 0.2u. Thank you so much everyone! Those tiny doses are freakin' hard to draw without most of it being an air bubble! And I do believe I've reached an age when reading glasses might be necessary!!! (weeping sounds)

98. Djamila

Good call team. Got an 85 at +4. I really love the happy safe greens! Especially right before bed...zzzz....

99. Djamila

Any thoughts on a No Shot number for Sam these days? At the 0.2u dose, he is just getting subtle drops which makes me feel like I can dose pretty low without danger, but it seems silly to give him a dose when he's at 120 since that's in the non-diabetic numbers at that point. But where would I cut it off? 125? 130? 121? And now that I'm asking this, I'm feeling silly because that list of options I just gave is a little like splitting hairs. I'm just not sure what to do. If I had given him a dose this morning, he likely would have just been in in the 70's or 80's. But at what point do I just say 'good enough' on his numbers?

100. Kris & Teasel

You might want to post on the main forum, Djamila. You can ask for input on dosing a near-remission kitty. I really wouldn't know what to say. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.