Sam's update

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Djamila, Mar 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Well, Bobbie....looks like that 1.2 was just a touch too ambitious. Oops. But bless his sweet little heart - he woke me up in the middle of the night making these little cries in my ear. I'm not sure why he didn't just go eat (there was food out for him), but apparently he wanted new food. I put out a fresh can and he gobbled it up. In hindsight, I should have done one more test, but at 1:00am, I wasn't thinking straight. I just saw he was back in the regular greens and went straight back to sleep.

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

So all those times you told him to wake you if he goes hypo...he was actually listening!!! PS - At 1 AM, I wouldn't be thinking straight either.

Djamila likes this.
  3. Djamila

Right?!? I know we can't count on things like that happening...but I was kinda proud of him! :)

Caitlin M and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I'm just seeing this tonight, deciced to mosey over. I didn't get tagged :rolleyes: well I was afraid 1.2 might be a bit too much but heh! You got some more data ! And thank goodness Sam knew what to do!

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  5. Djamila

@Bobbie And Bubba oops on the tag. Sorry 'bout that! I had a feeling from your earlier comment that I might have overshot on that one - in fact when Sam woke me up, my first response was to ignore him, but then there was that little tickle in the back of my mind from what you had said, so I dragged my lazy self out of bed and did the test. So thank you for the subtle nudge! (It's also okay to be not-so-subtle!)

Right now it feels like 1.2 is a little bit too much, but 1.0 isn't quite enough. I think I'm going to try to hold the 1.0 for a few more cycles and see if it becomes enough. But I'm totally open to input from everyone else if that doesn't seem right! It's hard because I couldn't get mid-cycles the past two days to get a better feel for what's happening at this dose.

Also, it's pouring and sunny and there is a lovely rainbow outside my window! Just felt like sharing that.

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You could experiment with a fat 1 u dose. :rb_icon:

7. Djamila

Or maybe 1 u is enough...at least for this cycle....

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  8. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Sam is always listening! :) That's a nice green!

Djamila likes this.
  9. Bobbie And Bubba

Looks like 1 unit is working well now and his last night PM cycle was nice. I would hold this dose another cycle or two and see what it does and I like Kris suggestion of a Fat 1 if a solid 1 unit proves to not be enough.

Ha Ha on you picking up on my subtle "hmmmmm" with the 1.2 dose. I was thinking " why did she increase now ?" But, what was done was done and I am so glad that you got up and tested. :cat:

Djamila likes this.
  10. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Afterall, we do try to tell them "if you feel like you are going low, come wake me up" :cat:. Asking them to call us might be pushing it ;)

Djamila likes this.
  11. Djamila

12 minutes until test time and Sam is being horrible. He's knocking everything off of every surface he can find. He's working on a bookshelf right now. Seriously. Books. :rolleyes:

I tried explaining to him that he wasn't going to die if he waited 12 more minutes, but I think he's pretty sure he will.

12. Djamila

134. He was 134. I never know what to do with the 130's...I need to shoot soon though. I'm already late. Any suggestions?

13. Kris & Teasel

0.6 u? 0.8 u?

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  14. Djamila

Just pulled up .6u. Thank you so much for chiming in! It helps to know I'm in the ballpark before I go inject him!

Arg! It really feels like a game of darts when he does this. Especially since I have to leave for a board meeting tonight. Thank you so much.

15. Yong & Maury GA

How's Sam doing with his dose? Pita got a clear, Frank was holding steady at +2, and Lisa did a NS. I got all the excitement :smuggrin:

Caitlin M likes this.
  16. Djamila

Just did the +4. He's at 90. No complaints here. I'm pretty happy with that considering the small dose!

17. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Exciting!!!

18. Kris & Teasel

Looking really good!!

19. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

Yayyyy!!

20. Stressedcatmom

Stressedcatmom Well-Known Member

Sam is looking good!

21. Djamila

Today's Question: Tomorrow afternoon, Sam is going with me to visit some friends. He loves car trips and loves going to my friend's house with the big windows out into nature (as opposed to my big windows overlooking steel and concrete). This time, however, we'll be there over shot time. I'm wondering if it's better to bring the vial (hour long car ride which is a lot of vibrating for prozinc), or if it's better to draw up a syringe and just take that? What do y'all think? His shot time will be about an hour after we arrive.

And one other unrelated thing: We are almost at three months. Which means the insulin should really be replaced soon. So assuming it lasts three months, Sam has two weeks left to get off the insulin before I have to buy a whole new vial. I've been trying to explain that to his pancreas. Think it will work? ;)

Yong & Maury GA and Caitlin M like this.
  22. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I think you'd be all right to draw it up before you leave. It's not usually recommended, but I think if it's just a couple of hours, it won't be a problem. You could put it in a cooler perhaps and wrap it up in some cotton to keep it from vibrating much.

Haha please let us know if the talking to works on his pancreas!

23. Caitlin M

#1- I am beyond jealous that he likes car rides.
    #2- I'd feel better doing what Rachel said and putting it in a cooler/tin foil.

24. Djamila

Yes, I will definitely be cooling and protecting whichever option we use. I just wasn't sure which would be better: vial or syringe. I've also thought about just skipping the shot, but I really hate to do that.

25. Caitlin M

I'd personally go with just a syringe. I agree that if all the bouncing around affects it at all, I'd rather have just that dose go wonky. Just me!

Kris & Teasel and Djamila like this.
  26. Djamila

He loves car rides. And he does reasonably well walking with a harness, so sometimes he comes to the park or the pet store with me. Atticus on the other hand....if he even hears me think about taking him on a car ride, he freaks out. When I manage to get him crated (he hates the harness), he'll make these heart-wrenching little cries and curl up like he's about to be beaten. It's horrible.

Of course, Atticus also doesn't love staying home alone, but he tolerates that better than trying to make him travel.

Okay, so it sounds like the syringe is the best option. Thanks so much y'all! I appreciate the input!

27. Djamila

Curious cycle today. Flat enough to make me wonder if I might have given a fur shot. No complaints about the result though!

28. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Beautiful numbers! Lots of healing time for the pancreas. :)

29. Yong & Maury GA

If that was a fur shot, his pancreas is helping today! Doesn't look flat to me, unless I'm looking at wrong numbers lol.

30. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

I could almost swear I gave smoky a fur shot a few times with his low numbers lately. It's sounds like Sam is in cahoots with Smoky:p

Djamila and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  31. Djamila

Gosh I hope so! Smoky is getting some great numbers right now....I would love if Sam followed him!

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  32. Djamila

<<whispering>> ....you guys...look!...:)

33. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

I told you:smuggrin: our kitties are plotting together.:woot:

Djamila likes this.
  34. Kris & Teasel

<<whispering>> ... ooh, that's very nice ... no sudden moves, everyone!

35. Yong & Maury GA

*whispering exciting noises* ... :woot::cool::cat::bighug:

36. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

<<whispering>> squeaky, excited noises...keeping very very still...

37. Bobbie And Bubba

Wow, I just came over to peek in on Sam......he looks awesome and 2 NS! Guess the whole fill the syringe or take the vial discussion was in vain. :) If you are able to today, I would get a spot test or two in to see what his pancreas is doing without the insulin. Maybe one at +3 to see if he stayed the same as the AMBG test after he had eaten and again around +6 or so. All data, good data. :)

About the age of the vial, it was my impression that the vial could last 6 months refrigerated. I used mine for that time before buying another one. Double check me but, I think you are safe to use it up to 6 months. ( maybe you won't have to worry about buying another one ;)) upload_2017-4-23_10-25-9.png

38. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

Sounds like to me that Sam's dose is doing right by him. Glad you enjoyed your vacation, but sorry to hear about Sam's ears. How do you keep from bruising their ears.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.