Samson

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LauraVW, May 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LauraVW

LauraVW New Member

Hello, my name is Laura and my cat Samson was diagnosed with diabetes last week. He's almost 12 yo and weighs just over 10 pounds (used to be 12 pounds).

I brought Samson to the vet because he wasn't eating much, losing weight, drinking a LOT of water, and urinating large amounts as well. I wasn't too concerned at first because he is a very sensitive boy and when stressed will hide and not eat for a while, but he always would return to normal once he destressed. He had a full senior work-up including xrays and was diagnosed as diabetic and put on 1 unit of Lantus twice a day. The vet also saw something near the pancreas area that she said "may" be a mass, but it could also be caused by something going on with his pancreas. It's been 6 days now (he has follow up appt tomorrow) and he still does not want to eat. The vet gave him a script for mirtazapine that I am to put in his ear every 72 hours. At first that seemed to help and he was eating more, but after 2 days he wouldn't eat again. I gave him another dose at 48 hours and then he did eat some, but vomited it up. I did not administer his insulin that evening because I didn't want his sugar to go too low (he had already been pretty lethargic and my husband who is also insulin dependent and knows the ropes recommended withholding the insulin). This morning he did eat a little and did not vomit so I gave him a half unit instead of a whole.

I know I need to learn home testing and have done a lot of research to prepare for this journey. However, one question I cannot seem to find the answer to is "how much is enough for him to eat"? I know about recommended caloric intake, etc., and he definitely isn't getting that, but is th
    e little bit he does eat enough to prevent liver failure, etc.? What else could be causing him to not eat?

Thank you in advance for any advice and I will post any other related questions in the Feline Health forum (I think that is the appropriate place?). Best regards, Laura

2. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

3. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi Laura, welcome to the FDMB!
    Usually one of the "signs" of diabetes is when the cat is eating lots but losing weight. So it is a bit strange that Samson isn't eating. Did his vet offer any suggestions? Was there a test for pancreatitis by any chance?
    What was Samson's BG and do you have any sense as to how long he may have been diabetic? It's possible that high BGs are jus making him feel lousy and that's why he doesn't want to eat.

Do you believe he's nauseous? If he's licking his lips or standing at the dish wanting to eat but doesn't, it may be nausea.

Has there been any change of food? What were you feeding (and what are you feeding now)?

I would definitely encourage you to start home testing ASAP. It's important to keep him safe.

LauraVW likes this.
  4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi there!
    And to answer that question with giving insulin, 1 tbsp. of food at the AM or PM feeding would be adequate to shoot insulin. BUT, you need to know what that number is prior. So, yes, home testing is a must. If that number is under 150 in the beginning of this diabetic journey, then you would withhold insulin. If the pre shot number is over 150 (for starters but that number will decrease over time with testing data) then if he eats at least 1 tbsp. of food then shoot. With Lantus, you have 2 hours after the shot for onset so you can get some more food into Samson.

If you need some tips on testing, please post and I will link. Sorry for my brevity but, I am tied up with my 91 year old mom right now. I will be happy to answer any questions you have.

LauraVW likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Did the vet test him for ketones?

LauraVW likes this.
  6. LauraVW

LauraVW New Member

Thank you for your responses. The more I'm reading up on things Samson has many symptoms of pancreatitis. Today I called the vet concerned that he might be in pain and she gave me liquid gabapentin with a marked syringe for the dose. I gave it to Samson and within an hour and a half he got up and actually ate a little food (mostly licked the liquid) and ate about 20 party mix treats (I know not the best but at this point anything is better than nothing). He's moving around some and seems to feel a little better. I'm so afraid to give the insulin tonight because I'm afraid he'll go hypoglycemic while I'm sleeping.

I really appreciate the guidelines on when it's safe to give the insulin. Based on what he's eaten today, I'd say it's borderline safe--IF I knew what he number is. I am assuming, of course, that dry treats and broth count toward the tbsp of food. Please let me know if that's a wrong assumption.

We have a follow up appointment tomorrow and I'll get all the test numbers and also learn how to test at home. I'm going to bring up the pancreatitis because I don't remember her bringing that up as a possibility (although I was so freaked out I don't think I heard half of what she said). I am definitely prepared for a long discussion with the vet tomorrow. I will post an update after we see how things go tonight and tomorrow. Thanks again for your help!!

7. LauraVW

LauraVW New Member

I'm not sure what all he was tested for. Whatever is in a "senior profile". I do remember that he had glucose in his urine. I will ask about ketones. Thank you!

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If it's pancratitis the treatment is usually sub q's for hydration, cerenia for nausea and bupe for pain. Some need assist feeding until they are willing to eat on their own. When my Zimmy had it, he started eating as soon as the pain killer took effect. That boy always did love his food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.