San Fran petsitter help for temperamental kitty...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sherry and Harley, Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Hi there-

I'm new here and not sure if this is the place to post this question, or if I should post it on the main board....can someone let me know and I'll repost if necessary? I ONLY GOT 1 RESPONSE ON THE COMMUNITY BOARD, SO I'M REPOSTING HERE TO WIDEN MY SEARCH FOR HELP. :)

So, I happen to be the mom of one of the sweetest cats I've ever known. I've had her since she was days old...bottle fed her and her litter-mates after rescuing them from the hull of a boat. If I am home, she is at my side. She's really a lovely girl. When it's time for her shots, she literally just flops over on her side without complaint...oftentimes, I can call her and she will come to the kitchen on her own.

With that said....I have had TERRIBLE luck with petsitters. It's been just about 2 years since she was diagnosed and I have basically been tied to the house since then. I have to travel twice a year for work, which is the only time I leave her....because I have to. What I'm getting at is I would love to be able to take an actual vacation or an impromptu day/overnight trip. She is good for the first and second days with the petsitters. But after that, she basically turns into the feline version of Cujo. I got a frantic call from the first petsitter and was able to hear her in action....growling, hissing, attempting to attack the poor girl...she was also so freaked out that she was urinating on the spot...the cat, not the petsitter ;-) These are behaviors that she (Harley) has NEVER before exhibited. Two more attempts at petsitters....same results.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any bay area peeps know a cat whisperer they could send my way? I just don't know what to do at this point. It's so stressful for her AND me, but mostly I'm concerned about how stressful it is for her. The one suggestion that I received so far was to pick up a list of possible vet techs from Especially Cats (my first sitter was actually from my old vet's office and that was a disaster). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

s

2. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

It sounds like anxiety. I'm not sure if these will work for you and "Cujo", but here it goes:

1. Install Feliway units around the place. Expensive, but it shouldn't be too bad if it's only for trips. Jeffers Pet is an affiliate of FDMB and has a pretty good price on Feliway - alot less than places like petco.

2. Have the petsitter add Rescue Remedy to the water or food. You can sometimes find in at health food stores. Here is info about it: http://www.ehow.com/about_5070063_bach- ... -cats.html. I've just started to use this for my cats.

3. A friends cat would literally attack the babysitter. Very Cujoish - growling, hissing, baring teeth. They put the cat on Prozac as a last resort and it worked.

3. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Hi Debby-

Thanks for the tips! She doesn't have a litter box problem though (unless she's unregulated...and then I have bigger problems), so I don't know that I need the Feliway. She was just SO stressed that she was urinating right in front of the petsitter in the middle of her kitty tantrum. I just read up on the Rescue Remedy....sounds like it's worth a shot!! I have an appointment with the vet tomorrow, so I'll get his take on it as well. I'm desperate to be able to get away and not stress about her...it's hard to relax when I know she might be having a tough time of it. Thanks so much and have a fantastic weekend!!

s

4. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Feliway isn't just for improper urination. It's for stress, too.

5. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

Well I have several suggestions to try.

First would be to have the petsitter make several complimentary stops. I know under normal circumstances the initial consult is free, but given the situation ask if they could stop by and perform shots etc. ...while you are still home. Not all petsitters will do this, especially if they are busy; but if you contacted me given the situation I would make an exception. I do that for dogs with known defensive aggression as well. Come several times with the owners still home, take the dog for a walk with the owner and then without. It is time consuming for me, but if it all works out...I have a client for life.

Your kitty is on a routine she thinks is only performed by you. Give her and the petsitter a chance to get better acquainted and "Cujo"...might not come out.

Rescue Remedy in her water might help too. It certainly can't hurt.

And yes folks...a fractious "Cujo" cat is much more frightening than a dog!

Also sometimes, this worked with my own fractious feline, a mist of water in the face to break the attack spell might work. Tilei would backoff immediately and then about 15 minutes later one could approach and handle her.

6. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Hi there-

Thanks for the suggestions. My latest pet-sitter was actually my neighbor, who she is quite familiar with. He's had the most success so far. The first time I left her with him she was great. The second time, not so much (I was gone twice as long). I did just as you suggested the very first time he watched her....not the second time though. I'm definitely going to invest in some rescue remedy. In my gut, I feel like whoever is going to watch her just needs to stay in my home so they get tons of quality time together....just haven't found anyone willing to commit to that. The option I'm avoiding like the plague is boarding her. I hate the thought of taking her out of the house and putting her in an unknown and sterile environment. She won't tolerate being with other cats, so she'd have to be in a box (cage) all by herself. HATE that thought! It's a last resort for sure.

I have an offer for a free house in Hawaii that I would love to take advantage of in the next month or 2....I just don't think that's going to happen. My guilt has me travelling only when I absolutely have to. My next mandatory trip is to SoCal in November...I'm a bridesmaid. At this point, I'm thinking of driving down and taking her with me.

Anyone out there want a free place to stay in San Fran for a week?? ;-)

Cheers!

s

7. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.