Sashimi and his human

Discussion in 'Welcome to the Group - Post an Introduction Here' started by Sashimi's human, Aug 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sashimi's human

Sashimi's human New Member

Hi there from Ottawa Canada,
    I'm Dani (Sashimi's human). I'm here to learn more to help my little partner in crime.
    I've already picked up a lot of tips from this message board and had my mind eased whole lot already. So I just wanted to stop, say hi and give a quick introduction.

I'm Dani, graphic designer, wife and mother to 1 and a half year old twins and two cats. I thought things were crazy to begin with.. this is a whole new ball game. LOL

Sashimi is a 8 year old 13 lb (currently) Chocolate Point Apple head Siamese. Since birth he's always been built like a little bear. Twice the size of other cats his age (18 lbs proportionate not obese) and very strong. He started to lose weight all of a sudden. Eating ravenously and drinking a ton. muscle wasted away. Legs like bones. You could easily count his vertebrae.

Diagnosis Diabetes Mellitus... Cue freak out. Cry. Breathe. Worry. Learn.

Things are going well so far.

A little bit of history:
    Diagnosed with diabetes mellitus on May 29 2017
    Started Lantus insulin (1 unit 2x day) June 9
    Started on Purina DM (wet) for a week, then switched to Hills m/d (wet)
    Increased insulin to 2 units 2x day June 16
    Started taking gabapentin June 26 for neuropathy/arthritis

We're using the AlphaTrak2 meter. Initially had a reading of 32. We're two months in and his readings are down in the 4-5 range. Yesterdays curve was almost a straight line... Hoping that's a good thing.

I have a great vet that i trust and has a history treating feline diabetes. We have frequent vet visits and keep in touch with her via email in between.

I look forward to learning more from everyone!

Dani

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome, Dani and Shashimi. :) You have your hands full with baby twins and two cats!

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome from just southwest of you. Fantastic that you are home testing and doing curves. Come on over and post in the Main Health Forum.

4. Yong

Yong Well-Known Member

Welcome Dani and Sashimi!

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Add some vitamin b 12 methylcobalamin for the neuropathy.

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! I'm in Ottawa too. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.