Sassy -- Not Eating at Meal Time

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sassy1815, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sassy1815

Sassy1815 New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm having some trouble with feeding Sassy lately. I'm not sure if she's just not hungry at mealtimes anymore, or if she's figured out that mealtime = insulin time. She used to go straight to her food dish when I would get up or get home from work. Now many days she won't eat until after we've left for work or gone to bed. She still eats all her food, but it's getting hard to give her her shot like this. We've tried bribing her with treats and everything, but no luck. Any suggestions on how to remedy this?

Thanks!

2. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hi ;-)
    Well.. there is a lot to say but a lot depends on your input too. Some things that come to mind.. but are dependant upon how you answer too.
    1. I looked at your SS, are you only feeding one flavor? Can you give some variety, different brands/flavors?
    2. Do you shoot while kitty is eating? If not, what do you do exactly?
    3. I don't have set meal times for mine, we just mini meal the day away, or free food while I am at work/out -- is this an option for you?

3. Sassy1815

Sassy1815 New Member

For the most part, yes, just the one food. I tried switching it up for a couple days, but didn't seem to make much difference. She doesn't even go near the food when I dish it up. But I think I will keep trying different foods though.

Yes, we give her the shot while she's eating. That's the easiest way, but it's definitely possible to give it to her when she's not eating. Just takes some more distraction :smile:

I don't mind if she eats whenever she wants, but I was under the impression that she had to eat before I could give her the Lantus. If I'm mistaken, then I guess I don't have any issue! So I guess that is what I need clarified.

Thanks Nicole!

4. sehjak (Susan & Lanky)

sehjak (Susan & Lanky) Well-Known Member

Hi - have you been to Dr. Lisa Pierson"s DMV Website? Good resource http://www.catinfo.org/

If you go to the web site & open the 20-page pdf document you'll find lots of good stuff. On page 8 is a recipe for tuna water to use as an enhancer. Then on page 17 there are more ideas like using parmesan cheese, FortiFlora, and others.

I am mixing food: I use the good-for-you stuff with just a dab of something they really love, like Fancy Feast flaked fish & shrimp, on top & mix it in slightly. Seems to work. Sometimes I have to add a little more to get them to finish.

Hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.