Satina

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by piri, Apr 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. piri

piri Member

Hallo, my cat's name is sati, she is 13 and she has diabethis since 4 months.
    She is really delicate, so sensitive and special.
    where can i post my health question please?
    thank you

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Post in the Health forum:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

When you do post identify the insulin you are using. Good insulins are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective. The human insulin N/NPH is sometimes prescribed but only lasts 8-10 hours. Same for the pet insulin Vetsulin/Caninisulin.
    Most of us here test or cats blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Also identify what are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb canned

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

Here is a link to home testing blood sugarshttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

3. piri

piri Member

thank you, I have many problems with food.
    she is intolerant to many many things.
    i cook for her fish and meat.
    I have posted my problem in health forum.
    I am new to forum.
    hope you will read it and give me your opinion.

Attached Files:

4. piri

piri Member

and another problem I have to measure the glucose at home is that to me is difficult to take a drop of blood from the ear, it doesn't come out.
    I have tried many times but it isn't possible.
    is it there a particular technique?
    thanks

5. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    What meter and supplies are you using?

That video explains it pretty well.

6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Piri. Welcome to you and Sati! I really like the pictures of her. She seems to have a really lovely nature; her eyes look really soulful. :)

Here are some links for you to learn more about home testing:

Home testing links and tips

Testing and injection tips

In the early days it helps to get the ear really, really warm to encourage blood flow to the test zone. I was very surprised at just how long I needed to warm my Saoirse's ears to get samples consistently and easily. It does get easier to draw samples over time (more capillaries form at the test sites).

I see that you've posted about insulin on the main Feline Health forum and you're getting help with that now. I'd suggest starting a second thread about Sati's food issues. There are a lot of members whose cats have problems with pancreatitis, IBD, etc., and they may be able to suggest things that might be helpful to Sati.

Mogs

7. piri

piri Member

Thank you to all.
    These days have been tough.
    I am trying to increase caninsulin, as one of my vet suggested.
    The glucose seems better.
    Yesterday the curve was
    8.04 415
    12.50 133
    18.42 152
    what do you think?
    Thank you for the videos on picking blood from ears, it has been helpful,
    unfortunately it worked yesterday, but this morning it seems as is from that vein there was no more blood coming out.

Sati is intolerant to almost everything.
    I cook for her meat and fish.

But in the anterior legs she is very very weak.
    Does this have happened to your dears too?
    One vet told me to give her STIMUFOSS
    and to make her almost 80 ml of fluid, better if every day.
    What do you think?

Thank you to all of you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.