Saying goodbye to Cleopatra

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by nkuzmick, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nkuzmick

nkuzmick Member

First thanks to all of you for helping us with Cleo's diabetes - she has been well regulated and was doing OK until a few weeks ago but we don't expect her to be here much longer. Want to share our experience with all of you and maybe help you. After Cleo (age 12) was diagnosed as diabetic with some type of infection last August (renal profile slightly above normal) , the vet administered antibiotic plus IV fluids and kept her overnight - we did not realize that there was no nighttime care and after being hooked up to the drip all night she was severely overhydrated - the vet said she would not make it and that we should put her down. After signing "against medical advice" we took her home and started insulin. She recovered from the crisis in a few days, but was still not breathing right. (lesson # 1 we will never leave a sick cat overnight at a place with no night shift). Took her back to the vet - kidneys improved, BG OK too - did an x-ray and said fluid build up around heart/lungs so off to the cardio vet. Ultrasound confirms hypertrophic cardiomyopathy - they put her on Benazipril (ace inhibitor), blood thinner and 20 mg Lasix daily. We had also been giving her one Zobaline daily. Checked blood work in 2 weeks all OK except kidney readings getting worse but still not real bad. They cut the Lasix to 15mg and her breathing gradually improved to normal of under 30 BPM in 2 or 3 weeks. She seemed to be doing well, eating, using litter, walking normally again.

She started acting funny in early December and took her in for blood work.& check up - kidneys values way too high but heart, lungs and BG all good. Gave her some sub Q fluid and rechecked bloodwork in 10 days kidneys worse - vet said she was done for. (lesson #2 should have cut back on the Lasix and ace inhibitor when her breathing improved - heavy Lasix dose probably wiped out her kidneys - should have had bloodwork checked every week). Stopped all cardio meds and as suggested by cardio vet the Zobaline too (she is still asymptomatic for that issue). Have been giving 100 ml SQ fluids every few days - she perks up and would eat some but it took encouragement. Still had some good days until recently.

A few days ago she got lethargic and started eating very little. As of last night she stopped eating - we have to test BG as with little of no food as she is staying near 100 pre-shot and so we are down to very little insulin - about 0ne unit daily - skipping some shots. She has a hard time walking, can't get to the litter -we are keeping her clean - thank goodness for pet training pads. She is now mostly laying in her bed sleeping and is getting less responsive. Seems to be comfortable but we can see her slipping away.

Don't know of anything else we can do for her so we are saying our goodbyes - any suggestions on keeping her comfortable - don't want a one way trip to the vet as long as she is not in pain/distress.

Thanks again and Best Regards, Bob & Nancy

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I am sorry. :(:bighug:

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you had to learn such hard lessons. All I can do is send positive energy your way and hope you can keep her comfortable. :bighug::bighug:

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I'm sad to hear about Cleo. :( Cherish every moment ...

:bighug:

Mogs

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear Cleo is doing so poorly.

Have you looked around for a vet that will come to your home instead of taking that "one last trip" to the vet?

It can be much more peaceful to have the vet come to you so Cleo would be around familiar things and the people she loves when she crosses.

Vader723 likes this.
  6. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry that Cleo is not feeling well.

I have no advice for you.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. nkuzmick

nkuzmick Member

Thank you all - Cleo is sleeping peacefully laying against Nancy - Can't get her to eat or drink and we will be surprised if she makes it through the night. Local vet is 5 minutes away if things get bad, but only available 8 Am - 8PM. As long as she is in no pain/distress our plan is to let her cross over here- She has been such a joy. She is in a familiar, loving place and with people she knows care about her.

8. Vader723

Vader723 Member

:bighug: I’m so very sorry to hear this. Healing hugs your way :bighug:

9. Rhonda T

Rhonda T Member

I'm so sorry. Hold her and love her. She will feel your energy.

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Cloe is clearly with the exact right wonderful people Bob and Nancy.
    Very sad to read her time with you is coming to an end & I hope she does simply drift away with you both there to care.

Critter Mom and Rhonda T like this.
  11. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

You have provided the best care that could be given. Cleo is lucky to have you as parents. I'm sorry to hear her health has degraded so much. Sometimes it is just their time to go. At least she is in a loving home, and that is what we hope for all of our kittehs during these times.

12. nkuzmick

nkuzmick Member

After sleeping peacefully with her head on Nancy's shoulder all night Cleo slipped quietly away at 8:15 this AM. Nancy stroked her most of the night and we are sure that she was happy to be near us. She was blind (not from her diabetes) and so keeping her in familiar surroundings was especially important. She was where she wanted to be. One last kindness and good time for Cleopatra - she has been a wonderful companion and has left us with many good memories. We have 2 other adopted stray cats - both younger males and almost as affectionate as Cleo.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

We have some diabetic cat supplies that we would be happy to send/give to anyone who can use them. Unopened 100 dispenser pack of U40 insulin syringes, a nearly full case of Hills DM cans, another case nearly full case of Hills AD cans, and about 8 pounds of Young Again Mature Zero dry food. We are near Leonardtown Maryland but would not mind shipping the stuff (no charge). Send us an email with a shipping address if interested to nkuzmick@earthlink.net.

You all are a nice group of people.

Very Best Regards, Bob & Nancy

13. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

14. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry your kitty is gone. :bighug::rb_icon:cat_wings>o

15. Vader723

Vader723 Member

I'm so sorry for your loss :bighug:cat_wings>o

16. Kelli Vines

Kelli Vines Member

I am so sorry for the loss of your baby, Cleo. :rb_icon:cat_wings>o

17. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

So sorry she is gone but so glad it was peaceful.

18. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I am so sorry that Cleo has crossed the Bridge, and at the same time so happy that she was able to cross at home with her loving family by her side. Hold close all the special memories deep in your heart to give you strength and peace as you mourn the passing of her earthly presence.

[​IMG]

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

19. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Myagi (GA) and Heidi Well-Known Member

downloadfile-4.jpg It is beautiful that Cleo was able to go the bridge in a loving warm embrace at home. God bless you. :rb_icon::bighug:

20. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Ach me.
    Always gone too soon.
    Hugs and care your way.

21. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss:bighug:
    Fly Free Sweet Cleo, Land Softly:rb_icon:

22. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I am sorry for your loss of sweet Cleo. May she fly freely, and land safely at the Bridge, waiting for you there.:rb_icon:

23. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I'm sad to read that Cleo has crossed the Bridge but very grateful for all of you that she peacefully drifted away, surrounded by the familiar scents of home and, most important of all, by the love of her two dear humans.

(((Bob, Nancy, and Spirit Cleo)))

:bighug:

Mogs

24. nkuzmick

nkuzmick Member

The food is being sent to the first person who asked, but we still have a 100 count container of U-40 insulin syringes if anyone can use them.

Thanks again for all the kind words.

Best Regards, Bob & Nancy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.