Saying Hello/Newly Diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sivyaleah, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sivyaleah

sivyaleah Member

Hi Everyone,

First, I may already know some members on this board. I came here at the suggestion of members at another cat related site where I've been for many years.

My older cat, 15 year old Casper, was diagnosed yesterday as being diabetic. He had been pretty healthy until the past year or so and began having health changes resulting in weight loss, poor appetite, frequent vomiting and other symptoms. We recently had an ultrasound done and the result was he was probably suffering from IBD or lymphoma but that was less likely. We began treating him for that which included a depo injection - about 5 weeks ago.

He improved for 4 weeks but in recent days, had become much more lethargic, was throwing up again and well, we just felt something wasn't right. Then, we noticed that his water bowl was going dry and we were refilling it more frequently, which never happened before.

We brought him in for his follow up yesterday and luckily the vet thought to check on other things. Well, his glucose level was at 300. Pretty shocking to us.

Anyway, making the story concise - he is now on Vetsulin, 1 unit twice a day. Vet gave us instructions for injecting him (no big deal), and we scheduled him for a curve test on Monday.

I do have a couple of questions but I'll post a new thread addressing those. In the meantime, glad to have found this group!

Laurie

Connie & Max likes this.
  2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board. Sorry to hear that Casper has been diagnosed with diabetes, but that is very treatable. There is a very good chance that the depo-medrol injections may have caused steroid induced diabetes. Hopefully you will be able to get Casper's glucose controlled quickly.

If you have health questions you can post on this forum:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

It is a general health forum and gets a good amount of traffic.

Also here is some information on Vetsulin you can read up on:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/vetsulin-caninsulin-user-guide.302/

3. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Shelly & Jersey (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Laurie and sweet Casper,

Welcome to FDMB! I'm so sorry that Casper is diabetic, but I'm also really happy you found FDMB. The wonderful individuals here helped me get my kitty, Jersey, into remission after just a few short months on insulin.

Shelly

4. sivyaleah

sivyaleah Member

Hi Shelly and Tuxedo Mom, thanks both for writing so quickly.

Yes, it did occur to me that this could have been created by the depo shot. The vet did mention the possibility of remission; I'd hope if it was caused by the depo that this may be possible.

I already posted in the main forum regarding how much/often is allowable to feed him - that's my main concern right now.

Laurie

5. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello Laurie and supersweet Caspar (and Cocoabean!)

upload_2016-7-24_16-12-33.jpeg
    Eliz

sivyaleah likes this.
  6. Connie & Max

Connie & Max Member

Hey, Laurie! It's me, Connie Cruz Jansen, from FB. :)

7. sivyaleah

sivyaleah Member

:D hello!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.