Scabs and bumps at injection sites?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by blu, Jan 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blu

blu Member

Hello...

So, scabs at injection sites...

Blu has been receiving Lantus injections for about a month now. To help this newbie, the vet shaved about a 2.5 inch X 2.5 inch square between his shoulder blades. I've been careful to try not to inject in the same spot or area by rotating around. I do the pinch/make a tent, point the needle down, inject and release insulin, release the pinched up skin, and gently remove syringe. Blu is the perfect gentleman for his insulin shots, doesn't move a bit, and I've developed a steady and smooth hand, so the needle isn't being moved around at all. However, there are little hard bumps that are forming that over time form into scabs. Please note, the little bumps pop up over time, not right after an injection, but hard to say how long after, then only some of those bumps turn into scabs. The scabs are dry and not producing pus or discharge. Blu doesn't seem bothered if I touch or pat in the area at all. No chance of fleas or anything else, definately the result of the injections.

Using 31 guage half inch BD brand insulin needles, and never use them more than once. He is not developing any scabs or bumps where I prick his ears for glucose testing.

Anybody have this happen? Or have an idea what might be causing it?

Thank you!
    Tanya

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have seen that posted here before but I have not experienced it myself but then again I do not look. Are you cleaning the site before or after injection?

3. blu

blu Member

No, I am not cleaning the site before or after the injection. I have been putting some antibiotic salve on it that the vet had prescribed for a foot sore that has now resolved, but I just started doing this the last couple of days to see if it could help.

I did a forum search and saw a few posts that mentioned it might be a metal allergy to the needle, an allergy to the Lantus (good heavens that would be bad), or maybe staph that is present on the skin.

Doesn't seem like this is common though. hmm.

Tanya

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

He also could be sensitive to some of the ingredients in the solution containing the Lantus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.