Scared Newbie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SebbieMae, Jul 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SebbieMae

SebbieMae New Member

My 11 yr old DSH Jack was diagnosed with diabetes Wed. I switched his diet to grain free wet pate right away.
    He had his first shot of insulin Thurs. night at the vet when they taught me how to give it. I was also told to have prescription dry food available during the day between wet food feedings.
    Yesterday's shots went really well. He was eating and took them like a champ. This morning was good too. However tonight Jack didn't want to eat, so I couldn't give him his shot. He's also looking pretty sick again.
    Is this normal? How long until my baby feels better again? Jack has always been my playful active cat. It makes me so worried to see him like this.

2. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB - the best place you never thought you'd need. We are glad you found us and will be happy to help you learn what you can do at home to help your kitty feel better. Your Jack looks like he could be my Radar's brother. :cat: I remember when Radar was first diagnosed. He was a sick and skinny little guy and my heart just broke seeing him as a shadow of himself. Thanks to the kind and experienced people here, I've learned so many things that have made Radar's world soooo much better.

Insulin therapy is a critical component to helping Jack feel better along with diet. You've already taken some good steps in the right direction by providing wet food. Have you given any thought to testing Jacks blood sugar levels at home? We are strong advocates of home testing here because it will help you to see what response Jack's body is having as a result of the insulin therapy. This knowledge is a critical component of the care I give my little guy and we'd be happy to help you get started if you are interested.

This part of the website is our "welcome mat" and now we'd like to invite you to join us inside our "home" where we can really begin helping you. Just go to the Main Feline Health page and tell us some basics like what insulin you are using and what the dose is and if Jack has any other health issues. We love questions here so please also tell us what you'd like to learn.

TempestsMum likes this.
  3. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Welcome SebbieMae & Jack. :)

Jan has given you some great pointers there and the main forum is definitely the best place to go with your questions.

I'm a little concerned as you switched his food suddenly and then began insulin the very next day. If the food you switched to is low carb that can bring his bg down quickly but not in time for the vet to know his actual bg level.
    Along with that his bg level will be higher at the vets than at home.

If Jack isn't looking/feeling so good I think it's extremely important you grab a cheap bg meter (one from Walmart for people will do) and get a reading as soon as you possibly can.
    This is because it's possible Jack may have hypoed and that is why he's not feeling so good and I need you and Jack to be safe.
    Right now I'd offer him some of his higher carb food just to be on the safe side while you go get the meter.

If you can do this then post on the main forums @JanetNJ @Yong @Tuxedo Mom @Kris & Teasel

Jan Radar (GA) likes this.
  4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum/ There is a vast wealth of information and experienced people here who can help you and Jack as you embark on the FD journey.

Most dry food, even the prescription food is higher carb and not suitable for a diabetic kitty. However before doing any major food changes you should start to home test. Home testing is one of the most important things you can do to keep your kitty safe and know how well he is responding to the insulin type and dose. Here is a link to information on home testing you can read through:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

It always seems overwhelming in the beginning....we have all been there. But with the information available here and the support of all the members it will get easier as you go along...trust me!! :D

To get more information and help please do post on the Health forum, where you will get more "eyes" on your post. Please include the type of insulin you are using, the dose and the type of food you are feeding.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome great advice above.

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! Please post all your questions on the main health forum so we can get started helping you help your boy. :)

7. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Sebbie and Jack!
    Will look for your post over on Main Health forum :cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.