scheduled my first dental ever for my civvie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by fourcatsmama, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fourcatsmama

fourcatsmama Member

Ive been reading up on it and it seems like it will be pretty basic even though he has to have anesthesia. Are there specific questions I should ask? Do they give pain meds for afterwards? I know my face hurts like a b$%ch after I get my teeth cleaned. Should I be worried?

2. Mal and Tubby (GA)

Mal and Tubby (GA) Member

3. Mal and Tubby (GA)

Mal and Tubby (GA) Member

No comments?

4. Donna and Flame

Donna and Flame Well-Known Member

5. fourcatsmama

fourcatsmama Member

That second link mentioned alot about extra care for diabetic cats during the procedure, but I'm guessing they'd use such care anyway even if the cat is not diabetic. Both of you guys gave good links with lots of info. I hope they don't get in there and find out he needs any extractions. :(

6. Donna and Flame

Donna and Flame Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I would definitely ask the vet about those precautions and extra things like fluids and monitoring during the procedure anyway. I wouldn't assume anything. It never hurts to ask questions and make sure they will do everything you need/want to keep your kitty safe and to put your mind at ease.

Good luck... Hope all goes smoothly. Sending easy dental vibes!

7. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

One very important question: is this for your asthmatic cat?

8. Michele&Molly

Michele&Molly Member

HI Amy -

When is Dental Day scheduled for? I know you are scared and worried (who wouldn't be?) but your civvie will be so much better for it - really!

Last summer my diabetic cat Molly and one of my civvies, Lincoln, had dental surgery on the same day. I felt like a lot of anticipatory measures were taken for Molly (with her diabetes) that Lincoln was kinda being treated as second fiddle and i was worried. Both did beautifully!!

When they came home they were hungry - and i mean hungry! I was surprised by this given both had extractions and had been through so much that day. I guess since they hadn't eaten since the night before they were ravenous. Offer your baby a little food upon his return home but obviously, just wet food (not that you would dare give dry food anyway :D ).

We came home with Bupe for pain. I remember whining and crying that i didn't want to jab a needless syringe in their mouths given how sore they must be. I think it was Jess (Jess & Earl) who wrote and said something like 'suck it up, they need pain meds, 30 seconds of discomfort will be forgotten for hours worth of relief. She was right.

Expect drooling. I wish someone would have warned me about that. I think i was thrown by the fact that one drooled and the other didn't at all. My civvie Lincoln was leaving actual puddles behind! It was perfectly normal and after a few days he stopped.

I wish you the best of luck - please ask more questions as you think of them and of course let us know how he does on the big day. Thinking about you, Michele

9. fourcatsmama

fourcatsmama Member

Hi Deanie,
    No, it is actually for his brother. I did chuckle and joke with the vet if she just wanted to do them both at the same time. They've never been able to get near his mouth to check to see if he even needs a dental. But I looked. He doesn't look as bad as Presley. Although I wouldn't really know what to be looking for, and it was on the waaay back teeth.

10. fourcatsmama

fourcatsmama Member

Dental Day is scheduled for May 13th. :( I figured I might as well schedule it right then and there (when I had him in for his check up) because I knew if I didn't I would have put it off, and I know he needs it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.