Science Diet M/D

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lesliejm, Dec 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

Is this really a bad food for a cat with diabetes my veterinarian is adamant that I feed my cat it only has 13% carbs 46% protein and 41% fat are the carbs too high?

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Personally, I would not say 'only' 13% carbs. I have actually used Hill's Science Diet m/d in the past when Mia's glucose level was getting too low to bring it back up. I have seen the direct effect that food has on her glucose level, so I would not choose to feed it to her. There are so many other foods with much lower carbs. The ones I feed her are 2-3% carb.. big difference between that and 13%. Also, there are other foods with better ingredients. If you have not already, you may want to read at least some of the info on catinfo.org. This is a link to the section on "prescription" diets: http://catinfo.org/#Prescription/Therapeutic_Diets

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Ideally you want foods under 8 % carb.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

We recommend feeding foods that are less than 10% carbs

There's absolutely nothing special about the "prescription" foods except the price!! You can look at their ingredient list and see that you can get foods from your local supermarket that are comparable and a lot cheaper!!

The sad truth is that vets get the vast majority of their "nutritional education" from the pet food salesmen, who show them pretty graphs and fancy statistics....but there's NO firm science behind it!! They're just very good at their jobs of convincing overworked vets that there's something special about their foods....there isn't!!

There was even a class action lawsuit filed against the "prescription" pet food makers last year....basically for false advertising.

5. FurBabiesMama

Maybe @Adam Flowers will share his thoughts with you. He recently changed from a similar prescription food to Fancy Feast and was able to drop the insulin dose in half.

6. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

I was just wondering the vet is very adamant and I know she has not read any of these forms and like you said it's the sales rep showing her all those fancy charts I am not going to feed him prescription diet food like that. He is now trying Sheba now that I took him off of dry food and put them onto wet food he's been okay for a couple of days but now he's starting to turn his nose up at wet food. he'll get hungry enough and he's going to eat the wet food. I just want to get my p's and q's together so when I go to the vet tomorrow with the insulin I can let her know what I found out about the diet prescription Foods. I want to thank everyone here for helping me out I have a long road ahead of me I know it I just need to calm down not panic and do what I need to do to make him better and what is right for him thank you again so much.

7. FurBabiesMama

This tends to happen. When I was transitioning my girls from dry to wet, I went through so many foods before I found anything they would even eat enough of. It was Sheba. Then, after a few days, they turned their nose up at that. Then, I tried FF, and they ate that for quite awhile. No matter how much they seem to like something or how long they eat it without issue, they eventually turn their nose up at it. That is why I have found that I have to have a few different options available so that I can switch it up when that happens. Something they turn their nose up one day they love again in a week or two.

8. Adam Flowers

Adam Flowers Member

My vet was also very adamant that I keep Mogee on the prescription food Glycobalance, which is very similar to the science diet MD.

I found this forum right after I made the food change to the "prescription diet." I was confused why my vet would recommend something that everyone on here says is bad for diabetic cats. My vet also said he did not recommend any wet food for cats, which goes against everything you learn in this group.

After doing my research and reading everything possible on here I went to my vet with my concerns about the food. I was told to stop listening to "Dr. Google."

After a month and a half of still going against my gut instinct and listening to my vet, Mogee was on 6 units of prozinc, twice a day while on the Glycobalance. His numbers weren't budging.

One night, I just saw it in his eyes. I knew I needed to trust my heart and trust everyone on this forum. I switched Mogee to the all wet Fancy Feast Classics. I did this cold turkey. This may not be best for many, but I read that Dr. Lisa had done this with many without any problems, so I said we're done with the dry!

Based on what I learned reading on here, I knew when switching to the low carb wet diet that Mogee would most likely not need near 6 units. I decided to go with 3 for the first injection to see what would happen. I'm sure glad I did.

After being in the purple, yellow, and high blues for a month or so on 5+ units, Mogee was in the green for the first time since diagnosis (88) @ +4 on only 3 units the very first morning on wet.

We are still working out dosage but Mogee seems to be on the right track. He is giving better numbers than he was on the dry and he is at half of the dose. If I was still listening to my vet, Mogee would probably be at about 8 units twice a day and who knows what his numbers would look like.

After switching to all wet, Mogee's water intake/output has become almost normal as well. He seems happy and is more active. Everyone who has commented on this post is right. If it weren't for @FurBabiesMama, @Chris & China, and @JanetNJ - all people I've never even met or knew before diagnosis - Mogee wouldn't be where he is today!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.