Scruffy got the beetus

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Matt Dugovich, Apr 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Dugovich

Matt Dugovich New Member

Hello everyone,

One of my parents 4 cats (scruffy) was recently diagnosed with diabetes. They couldn't decide whether or not to go through with the treatment. He would have more good days than bad, but was slowly losing weight. They were worried about the cost of many vet trips, the twice a day commitment, and didn't know how to control the food with the other cats free feeding.

I decided to "borrow" scruffadoodle and try to get him regulated, so I could possibly return him to his home (barring my gf getting too attached to him). His first vet appointment is today. I would like to do this the right way, but without an extreme high cost due to lots of vet visits. I would like to do as much stuff at home as I can. I've been reading up on it, and now know more about diabetes than I ever knew before, BUT I'm still going to be cautious. This site seems like a wonderful resource, and I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Thanks and good luck everyone!

Dugo

PS I also have a dog diagnosed with megaesophagus, which means the dog needs food and water sitting upright in a dog chair and needs to remain upright for an hour after. I collect special needs pets, lol.

2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Dugo and extra sweet ScrufferDoodle! Welcome! I can't wait to see a pic of YOUR ScrufferDoodle! I didn't know anyone else was as goofy as I am when it comes to 'pet names'. His name was technically Scruffy too...he wasn't 'extra sweet', he was my 'heart kitty'. His issue was Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. He joined our band of angels waiting for us at the bridge a few years ago now.

It doesn't really cost an arm and a leg - most of use test at home so no need for curves. We change doses following specific protocols rather than having our vets lead us all the way. After all 'dire beasties' is diabetes whether it be in cats, humans, dogs, horses, goats, even frogs! We use human meters for testing - many of us use Walmart's 'ReliOn' brand either 'Confirm or Micro' models. They are inexpensive and strips don't break the bank PLUS they're available 24/7 at 24 hour walmart's.

Any idea what insulin you'll use? We have a wonderful 'Feline Health' forum - poke around and post any questions there!

Again, welcome!

Critter Mom and Matt Dugovich like this.
  3. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I forgot to add...sure would like to see a pic of your ME baby 'drooler' too. Do you use a Bailey chair? How old is he/she? I have a friend with 2 ME dogs and rescues others as well as fosters all over the western USA.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to the message board, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!). This saves you the cost of going to the vet for curves and done regularly, removes the need for a fructosamine test. All of our insulin guidelines use human glucometer numbers for reference.
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet. Food changes should be gradual to avoid GI upsets - 20-25% different food each day until switched. There are 2 low carb, dry, over the counter foods in the US - Evo Cat and Kitten dry found at pet specialty stores and Young Again 0 found online.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir. No insulin lasts 24 hours in the cat, so giving it every 12 hours is optimal for control.

5. Matt Dugovich

Matt Dugovich New Member

Here you go! Scruffy and Sammie, who aren't quite friends yet.

0421161811a.jpg 0421161752c.jpg 0421161810.jpg

6. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Hello and welcome. You can do pretty much everything at home. The real battle is a vet that will work with you. Educating yourself on this forum is the best chance you will have. All's you really need is a prescription for the insulin from the vet. Can you get the records from his vet trip that show he was diabetic you can use that at another vet and may save money.

7. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

He sure is a nice looking cat. Best Of Luck to you. You've come to the right place for help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.