Sebastian's fur is turning brown. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Justin & Sebastian, Apr 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin & Sebastian

Justin & Sebastian Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Sebastian's fur has started to take on a rusty brown hue. It's not full on brown, really just the highlights so it's mostly noticeable when it catches the light, and it's only around his midsection, but it's definitely progressing.

I've read it could just be from age but it also could be a thyroid, liver, or kidney issue. Obviously liver and kidney are concerns because of the diabetes. I asked our vet tech if we had his thyroid tested recently and she said "His T4 Mar 13 was 1.9 so perfectly normal. Normal is 0.5-4.0 but anything over 2.5 is considered a "grey area" for further testing as being at risk".

So I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this and could suggest any tests or whatever for when I take him to the vet to get checked out sometime next week.

2. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

I've honestly never heard of this as an indicator of a health condition! No helpful advice, sorry. :\ I have a black cat that has always had a reddish hue to her fur.

Sebastian's eyes are just beautiful. :)

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

4. Justin & Sebastian

The first site was one of the ones I found, the second was new. He's strictly an indoor cat, and we keep our shades closed and his normal lounging spots aren't in direct sunlight, so I don't think it's from sun exposure. We tested for Cushings and that was negative. His belly is still exposed from when he was shaved and his skin isn't turning yellow so I don't think it's jaundice. Diet is Turkey & Duck pate so he's getting animal protein.

5. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

Could it be a copper deficiency, like in horses?

6. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

7. Justin & Sebastian

I looked into the food we're feeding him and I'm pretty sure it's good on tyrosine. Nutrient profile. Pretty sure the "PHE + TYR" is the tyrosine and it's one of the higher percentages.

8. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Dusty has been turning brown too, mostly from the neck down on his main body. I rack it up to age... he's 14.

Attached Files:

9. Justin & Sebastian

Yeah most of what I read said it was from age. He's only 10 though which doesn't seem that old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.