Second Opinion for Kidney problems in diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cyndi and fuzzy, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyndi and fuzzy

cyndi and fuzzy Member

I live in wisconsin, and am close to the town of Burlington, Lake Geneva and Paddock lake, I am looking for a second opinion for fuzzy my cat of 14 years, he is diabetic, althou is doing well rite now on one half unit lantus twice a day. Recently he has been only urinating one large urine a day, was drinking alot of water but now he wont even eat food i have been adding water to. He ate it wet until a visit to the vets, since home two days he is not eating and drinking like he was before the vet visit. I am concerned about his kidneys, if you look i have other posts on the kidney problems and vet visit. By chance can anyone recommend a vet they have gone to in my area that is knowledgeable with kidney problems in diabetic cats. The one i have been going to is Dr. Harris in Paddock lake.

2. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Hi Cyndi,

Unfortunately, so many of my colleagues simply repeat the Hill's/Royal Canin/Iams/Purina 'party line' and put their patients on very low quality Rx diets that are very low in protein. Therefore, you may be hard-pressed to find someone in your area who is thinking outside of the Big Four 'box'.

3. cyndi and fuzzy

cyndi and fuzzy Member

Lisa, thankyou so much for replying to my topic, dont know if you read the others but hope so, I am soooo confused rite now, had a handle on fuzz diabetes and with now only one half unit lantus twice a day, feel he and i did well for two years with patience, reading and home testing. I am reading some of your info and with diet in general, i am overwhelmed. Have just gone and read all ing for cans i have been feeding him. all are not good except the beef, it is the fancyfiest brand. where do i get the ones mentioned?? it is a good time to switch him to wet as with his dental inf. he has not been able to eat the dm so put it up. he is eating about a can of (small) fancyfiest daily with several sessions as he sneezes and has the inf yet. getting off course here on my topic, others have given wet food ideas also, again what do I buy and where?? didnt pass food analysis in school, just never looked at labels. Help!!!

4. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Cyndi,

The topic of optimal CKD managment - medical and nutritional - is more involved than most people think. That is why my CKD consults take up so much phone time - 2 hours on average.

5. M L and Cleo (GA)

M L and Cleo (GA) Member

Waving Hi from Oshkosh Cyndi! :smile:

6. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

If it helps at all, I have one diabetic kitty and one kidney kitty and one regular kitty. I feed everyone the same food and have the challenge of what diabetic/kidney friendly options are there.

What I've found is that canned or raw choices that are under 10% carbs, under 250 phosphorus - per Janet & Binky's chart will work.

What I'm feeding that fits this include:

Friskies special diet - turkey & giblets
    EVO 95% - chicken/turkey
    Nature Variety - Raw chicken medallions

I'm also looking into the making my own raw food options too.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

7. Lisa + Frankie

Lisa + Frankie Member

Sneezes? Dental?

"eating about a can of (small) fancyfiest daily with several sessions as he sneezes"

OK, now when did he start up with the sneezes, before or after he was at the vets? It may be that he picked up a respiratory infection and he can't actually smell anything, so might not be eating normall.

Also-when did he have a dental? I think your post implies that it was recent?

8. cyndi and fuzzy

cyndi and fuzzy Member

just a note to say this pretty much wraps up this post, please see my comment for today at the end of diabetic cats with kidney failure. I did recieve a second opinion today and am very satisfied that i have found a vet who is patient, kind, answers questions and is going to do what she can for fuzzy! thanks, cyndi and fuzzy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.