Second post for me...seeking a little advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jennifer Bittman, Nov 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer Bittman

Jennifer Bittman New Member

Maybe I am confused as to how to proceed lol. We have tested her with the monitor and confirmed high sugars and started only wet food and she displays symptoms (which is why I started to suspect diabetes and started the testing) if I just posted on the felinediabetes.com page the numbers, would I get help in finding out how much and what to give her even? I am thinking I still need to have her seen by the vet to just rule out kidney function or other issues as she has been inappropriately peeing for a while. Which I do know can be part of the diabetes but also can be a sign of something else. Or is there something I can use other than reagent strips that test for multiple issues in urine? I think it's probably best to go for a vet check up anyhow. Lol. Here I go rambling. See, I'm nervous. Lol

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Jennifer!!

Can we get you to start using our spreadsheet for Shadow? We really depend on it when giving dosing advice.

Also, it will help for you to fill out your signature (the details you see below our comments) To do that, just click on your sign on name (top right of the page) and choose "Signature". Then a new box will pop up for you to add details like:

Your name/cat's name, age, sex, date of diagnosis, type of insulin, type of meter, type of food, any other health issues or meds? and a general location. That way we don't have to keep asking the same questions over and over again!

When you get your spreadsheet, you'd also put the link to it in the Signature box.

Here are the Instructions on getting the FDMB spreadsheet. If you need help with it, feel free to send me a private message either here or on Facebook. To send one here, just click on my name and choose "start a conversation"

As for the kidneys, yes, diabetics are much more prone to UTI's because of all the sugar in their urine so if you think there may be a problem, you need to get Shadow to the vet. To really rule out a UTI, they need to do a culture and sensitivity by inserting a thin needle directly into the bladder to get a sterile sample and then culture it to see if any bacteria grows. If it does, then they'll test different antibiotics to see which one works best to kill that particular bacteria.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

@Jennifer Bittman I sent you a PM on Facebook. I'll be happy to help you with the signature and the spreadsheet.

We have NEVER kicked anybody out for being "technically challenged"!

4. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Yes, see your vet to get your cat diagnosed. Inappropriate peeing can also be due to a urinary track infection, and any infection can raise glucose levels.

But changing to wet food and testing are a great first step!

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'd likewise encourage you to have your vet give your kitty a full physical exam and blood work to make sure what's going on. The worst thing we could do would be to suggest you treat for diabetes when the problem is something entirely different or if there's some other underlying issue that is causing the diabetes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.