? seeking help for my cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Joye and Jasper, Sep 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joye and Jasper

Joye and Jasper New Member

Hi everyone.. can someone here give me any suggestions about what i can give my cat to help him have a bowel movement..he is straining a lot and only dripping small spots ..i know the Vet can give him a shot to help him but i already owe the a lot and cannot afford to go right now,, but maybe one of you has used something that helped your cat.

2. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

If you have any Miralax, you could try 1/4 tea. You could mix it with water, put it in a syringe and give it to your kitty. At one time I had a vet tell me to try a stool softener. I do not remember what brand they said, but I bought a Kroger brand of stool softener that was Docusate Sodium 100mg. Some people use plain pumpkin, not for a pie, but plain pumpkin. If your kitty does not get some relief, he may need to see the vet, you don't want your kitty to have serious problems, you might call your vet and see what they would suggest.

Joye and Jasper likes this.
  3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Joye and Jasper

....(
    thank you Teresa and Buddy..i do plan to call the Vet Tuesday to see what the recommend i do not have any Miralax at this time but i do have suppositories stool softener i am gonna see if i can get him to let me try that..just rub it on him ..i feel so bad for him.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I haven't tried Miralax but that's commonly used. Plain canned pumkin always helped my cat... And add extra water to the food.

6. Teresa & Buddy

The stool softener I used was a jell capsule, not a suppositories. I would hesitate about using a suppositories. Janet, is right, I would go to the store and buy a can of pumpkin, add some water to thin it out and try that. You want plain pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling. Good luck !! Please post, to let us know how your guy is doing.

7. Teresa & Buddy

This is something that should be looked at, if you have a kitty with constipation.

8. Teresa & Buddy

I wondered if any of our suggestions helped you, to help your kitty. Here's hoping he is feeling better.

9. Joye and Jasper

.i did not try the suppositories i got some Miralax today and have given him some but not sure it was enough also added water to his food so far nothing..i will call his Vet in the morning and see what he says..i will try some pumpkin too, i did try this once before and he would not touch it..thanks to you Teresa and Janet for your suggestions and for the videos i did not know i could do the bg test from behind the ear i will try this..

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Reason for edit: i did not send anything
  10. Teresa & Buddy

The Miralax might take a day or two to work, the stool softeners take a day or two to work also, I don't know how long the pumpkin takes because I have not used it, but I have used the other two methods. I hope the vet has something quick he could do and that would probably be an enema. The next time as soon as this starts up, you will know how to handle this without going to the vet.

Please post on how your boy is doing, I have been concerned about him.

11. Lillie

Lillie Member

Miralax usually takes a little while to work, like over night or so. You can mix it in his wet food and add water if he doesn't like you to syringe it into his mouth. It was a god send for my previous kitty who was constantly constipated with her IBD.

12. Joye and Jasper

oh,thank you for saying i could mix it in his wet food as i had been wondering about that i gave him a little more today and he fought so hard it upset me worried he might have a heart attack but so far he is okay i will add a small amount to his food he has left on his plate and just hope he will eat it..

13. Lillie

Lillie Member

I don't believe there is much of a taste to the Miralax. My cat never had a problem with it sprinkled and or mixed in her wet food.

14. Joye and Jasper

just to let you all know Jasper has finally had a few small bowel movements.. not much but far better than he had been doing..thanks so much for all the suggestions they helped.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  15. Alan Hamman

Alan Hamman New Member

If you cook pumpkin, or butternut squash and mix it with your cats food, it has a natural laxative effect. Smash it up and mix it thoroughly that way it gets eaten.

16. Joye and Jasper

thank you, he has eaten some of the pumpkin i have given him and is still having some bowel movements he is still straining some also but there has been a great improvement ..i will have to try some butternut squash it would be something different. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.