seeking lymphoma "success" stories

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Laura and Quincy, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

Hi,

My cat Quincy has small cell intestinal lymphoma. He was diagnosed April 2008, so it's been almost 2 years. He started off with a combination of leukeran and prednisone, which he seemed to do very well on for about a year. Unfortunately in May 2009, he was diagnosed with diabetes, likely prednisone-induced, so since June 2009 he's been off prednisone and on leukeran only. That was ok for a while, but the past two months have been marked by an uptick in vomiting, so I think it may be time to try something else, like budenoside (sp?) perhaps and deal with any BG increases as they come. His diabetes is a lot better now - well-regulated and on a very low dose of Lantus (anti-jinx!!!), with remission still a possibility - but now I'm really focusing a lot on his lymphoma.

Anyway... I've been esp. paranoid about Quincy lately, in part due to the vomiting and likely in part due to losing my other cat Cleo a few months ago. So, I was wondering if there are others on this board who had long remission periods for their cats. I understand small cell intestinal lymphoma can have a pretty good prognosis if treated properly. Although I know every cat is different, hearing about some long-term survivors would be a big inspiration right now!

Thanks

2. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

Have you had him back to the vet since the vomiting has started? I would want to make sure that the lymphoma was still under control.

My Abbey was a success story. She was diagnised with GI lymphoma in April of 2005. Her large abdominal mass disappeared after her first chemo dose. She stayed in remission until September of 2009. We couldn't get her back in remission a 2nd time and I lost her in November of 2009. She lived over 4.5 years after her diagnosis.

3. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

Thanks. He goes in every 3 months, so will be going in a few weeks. Initially, I thought some of the issues may be due to the stress of having a dog join the household, but now am less inclined to think that. I also had bumped up Quincy's leukeran dosing and wanted to see if that helped (last time we were at the vet's we talked about what constituted a GI flare up and things to try next). Some symptpms have gotten better recently - e.g., normal bowel movements, no regurgitating problems - but he's not doing as well as he was over the summer either. If things get worse, I'll bring him in sooner, but was hoping to wait for the regular 3-month check up for a number of reasons.

4. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

I can't speak to the small cell intestinal lymphoma, but I can speak to budesonide, as Bomer is on it for IBD and formerly was on pred (which I think is what gave him diabetes too) and it's great. His main IBD symptom is vomiting which has stopped on bude. Bude is a steroid too but it isn't absorbed the same way as pred. Boomer has been on Lantus insulin for 2 months and has made really good improvement while being on bude. I know Cassandra and Sasha also rave about about bude too. I say give it a try. The only negative is it's more $$$ than pred.

5. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

My McKaela was diagnosed with small cell GI lymphoma last March. For a few years before she had chronic diarrhea from IBS(most likely). The vet started a pretty rigorous chemo protocol as we didn't know excatly when the lymphoma started. Since the very first chemo, the diarrhea stopped and she could eat any food she wanted. She is now on monthly chemo and still doing well, having gained back the 5 pounds she lost. Maybe it's time to step up the chemo. God bless. Donna

6. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

There really isn't a lot of data yet using budesonide as part of a lymphoma protocol. I don't think I would recommend an untested medication for a cat with a disease as serious as lymphoma. There could be a lot more negatives involved than just the cost.

There's also no reason to withold steroids from a diabetic when their life may depend on it. Boo was regularly dose with steroids for the final 2 years of his life.

7. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Three month checkups may work for a cat who is asymptomatic but now that he's having problems, he really should be seen right away.

We caught Abbey's relapse right away thanks to her monthly vet visits. She wasn't really showing any symptoms but he found the new mass when he examined her.

8. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

cleo's lymphoma is pre emerging and she started on leukeran and pred. her vomiting was not under control, so we switched to CCNU instead of leukeran. we've continued the prednisone despite its effect on her blood glucose, because the duo of chemo + pred seems to be the most effective for small cell lymphoma kitties. we just added cerenia (1/4 tablet SID) for the vomiting and are going to add ondansetron (zofran) for nausea.
    our vet's hope is that we can return to the leukeran after a course of CCNU but at least with the CCNU she's gaining weight back and showing no signs of further progression just yet. she's not vomiting as much now, tho i've added daily fluids to help her tolerate the chemo better.

we have longterm lymphoma survivors here, including patticass & Tyler's justin, who was in remission about 3.5 years before coming out of it recently. hopefully more will post here.

just wanted to add here that we have a saying "Cancer trumps diabetes." i'd just increase the insulin to counter the higher BGs from the prednisone. pred makes the diabetes harder to regulate but it can be done, and you'll get help on the lantus forum from others going thru the same thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.