Seeking opinions on BG numbers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by shelaghc, Dec 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

This isn't urgent - at least it doesn't seem to be.

Jester's BG has been rather bouncy over the last several days ever since I opened a new vial of insulin for him.

He went from some rather okay numbers (blues and mid-range yellows) abruptly up to higher yellow and pink/purple numbers, then just pink for a couple of testings - all the while getting a steady 1u of Prozinc.

On the advice of a vet and because his BG kept going higher, I gave Jester 1.5u on Christmas morning, then did a mid-cycle which showed him down to a nice green number.
    He's been mostly blues and yellows since then. This morning his BG was low enough that I opted to not give him any dose at all. (Nothing scary, just low enough in the blues to not want to risk going low.)
    His BG in the evening was back up to yellow and his pre-bed BG was just 5 points lower than his PMPS.

Just curious about opinions on these numbers - particularly the ones both since the new vial of insulin and the ones since I bumped him up that one morning to 1.5U.

Again, nothing urgent that I can see. I'm just curious about others' thoughts and/or opinions.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  2. shelaghc

And now he's back in the 300s.

3. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I wonder if the new insulin vial is more potent? You don't have a ton of midcycle tests most days, so it's possible he's starting to go lower-than-usual during the cycle and then bouncing back up to pinks later.

That's just a shot in the dark, though, I'm really not sure what's going on. I'm also not that familiar with in-and-out insulins and thus not used to looking at spreadsheets with day-to-day dose changes, so I'm probably missing some important clues :oops:.

4. shelaghc

tbh, I've been thinking maybe it's finally time for a full-fledged curve.

I've only done what I call a "modified" curve because every time I plan for one, something happens to prevent me from accomplishing it. (Nearly ran out of test strips once, another time Jester went so low that I had to stop giving him insulin completely, etc. etc. etc.)

I know most folks do a curve fairly regularly, but I don't always have the financial resources to accomplish that. (Right now I'm running low on lancets....)

5. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

I wipe with alcohol and reuse lancet a few times.

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You can get lancets at any pharmacy, Walmart, target, ect.

7. shelaghc

They're way too expensive for me from there.

I found some on Amazon, where I have gift card credits from a friend.

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

9. shelaghc

My income is low enough that I really need to use what non-cash resources I have. The Amazon GCs help me to not use actual cash.

I appreciate the recommendation, but buying from Amazon tends to be the most economical option for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.