Seems weak and difficulty walking

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CassWTribby, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

Morning everyone,

I woke this morning to the sound of Tribby falling off the table I put her wet food on at night so she can eat if she needs too. I got up right away and took her BGL. It was 10 with a human meter. Not terribly low for her. It's typically 1-2 when she in in hy hypo. I gave her some honey just in case.

She's eating and drinking well. Doesn't seem stressed but having a lot of difficulty getting around. Seems to loose her balance and cannot walk straight or jump up or down safely. She has recovered from hypos well in the past but I'm not sure if this is one or not. I'm going to do another BGL check in a bit. I did not give her insulin this morning.
    Thoughts? Anyone been through something similar?
    My vet is open today but funds are limited...

Thanks,

Cass and Tribby

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2017
    Reason for edit: Removed 911 prefix. Kitty has been vetted.
  2. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

Just tested again. Her BGL was 10.4 at 8am and is 13.8 at 10:30

3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Is she still having difficulties? Have you tested her for ketones? I know your funds are limited but I'm afraid this may warrant a vetty visit.

4. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

A urine test? I have hydrophobic sand and test strips. Not sure if they are for ketones.
    Should I give her insulin?

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Is the sand part of a kit you got from the vet? The packaging on the strips should say what they test for. You need strips that test for ketones or ketones and glucose. If they are for glucose only, they are not the right ones.

As long as Tribby is eating and her BG is high enough which it seems to be, it should be safe to give her insulin. Has Tribby shown any signs of leg weakness prior to this morning? Has she been eating well? Is she still peeing copious amounts? Her weakness could be a sign of diabetic neuropathy or low potassium or a combination of both. Low potassium is dangerous and I too would highly recommend a vet visit especially if this is sudden onset rather than a worsening of a previous weakness.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Is she walking in her hocks? I'm wondering if she's developing neuropathy in her back legs.

7. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

I'm not sure what test strips. I bought the kit at a pet store when she first was diagnosed. I did give her insulin 1/2 u less as her BGL was 14.4 and she was eating well.

Just back from the vet. He wasn't sure. Took blood for a thorough check and will call after hours as soon as the results are in. Possibly tonight or tomorrow.

Dr said it could be liver or kidney? He doesnt think it's ketones at all or a hypo. To continue insulin, prednisolone and flagyl as per usual.
    I'm worries! Need to figure out a way to keep her safe from falling or getting hurt while walking around. She's very wobbly and unbalanced. Her legs are normal and she's using them normally. Just not able to walk in a straight line, kind of leans towards the left side. She cannot jump up at all, better going down.
    Fingers crossed....
    Thanks everyone.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  8. JanetNJ

goodness... I'm wondering then if it was a neurological event.... like a stroke. or high blood pressure.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  9. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

That's what I wondered at first. He gave her a full exam and doesn't think its anything like that. He suspects liver or kidney. Hopefully the blood work will show what it is.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  10. MrWorfMen's Mom

I would suggest you call the vet just to ensure they are checking electrolytes as the symptoms you describe could be low potassium related. Sad as it sounds, it's not always something that comes to mind for all vets so it doesn't hurt to be sure this gets covered.

11. JanetNJ

Ah yes, low potassium is possible. That should show in the blood work.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  12. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

I called and confirmed they are checking potassium and electrolytes. Is there a supplement I could give her for potassium? Or a type of food to boost potassium. She just had some tuna juice as was a bit dehydrated. It is finally hot here as well.

MrWorfMen's Mom and Squalliesmom like this.
  13. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Did he actually test for ketones? The only way to know is to test the blood or urine.
    Yes, but potassium should only be given under the supervision of your vet. Kitty must be monitored carefully by the vet when giving potassium. Wait for the test results and discuss with your vet before doing anything about potassium.

Yong & Maury GA and Squalliesmom like this.
  14. Squalliesmom

There is a supplement for potassium, if it is indeed low potassium. My kitty is on a regular maintenance of potassium supplement, gets it twice a day with meals. They're manufactured by different companies, the one my vet put Squallie on is Vetoquinal Renal K powder. As Jill said, it needs to monitored by the vet.

15. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

Thanks everyone!

16. Squalliesmom

Please keep us updated! :bighug:

17. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

I'm waiting on results from the vet today. Technically they are closed but he said he would call if they come in.

Poor Tribby seems a bit worse this morning. :(. She is very unsteady. Fell off the side table first thing and then fell into the kitchen sink. I've moved all her dishes to the floor and put a litter box near by. She seems worse then yesterday poor kitteh. I'm hoping we get results and a treatment ASAP because I cannot leave her like this for long. I'll post as soon as I know.

18. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines and positive waves to you and Tribby [​IMG] [​IMG]:cat:

19. MrWorfMen's Mom

Sending positive thoughts for Tribby and :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: for you! Do you have an after hours telephone number for your vet? Might be worth calling and letting him know she seems to be worse this AM.

20. JanetNJ

I'm so sorry. If she's in distress is there an emergency vet near you? It's really looking like a stroke to me. I hope you get answers one way or another. :(

21. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

Bad news. Loohs like kidney failure and the IBS is affecting her blood levels as well. My Vet is recommending IV fluids which I can do at home.
    Any idea where I can get an IV kit for sub q fluids at home?
    I'm thinking it's time to euthanize. She cannot be comfortable at the current stage of her immobility. I don't want to postpone the inevitable and end up with her suffering.
    Thoughts?

22. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

She's not in distress exactly. Eating and drinking well. But she cannot jump or keep her balance. She falls from counters etc and does not walk well. Her kidney values have worsened since Feb BW.

23. JanetNJ

I don't see how kidney failure would put her off balance though.

24. JanetNJ

Can the vet email you a copy of the labs?

25. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

I asked him to. Her blood work values where much worse across the board since her last in Feb. she's older so it's a combination of things. Fluids may help. More meds may help but that's only prolonging the inevitable. He thinks her system is overwhelmed by the Diabeties and IBS.

26. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Kidney disease doesn't cause this walking problem - don't let your vet convince you it does. Dakota's been going thru kidney failure for 2 years now - stable at low stage 3 for last year. It's never made him nor any others that I've read have this walking problem. If nothing else, ask what the potassium level is...low potassium can cause terrible weakness and can be an issue with diabetics as there's a tie between glucose and potassium...this vet isn't doing you or your kitty any good... :(

HUGS and prayers...

27. JanetNJ

Cats with IBS often need vitamin B12 supplements. If you aren't already giving them, start. Dehydration is a possibility as well. Until you start fluids, put extra water in her food. Do you know what stage kidney failure it is? i started doing sub q's at home when my cat was stage 2... it really prolonged the progression of the disease. Did he check for an inner ear infection? that could throw balance off as well. although it would show as high white blood cell count in the blood work I would think.

28. JanetNJ

I agree completely. Before you decide for sure it's her time, I would advise a second opinion at another vet... bringing the bloodwork results with you. the vet isn't investigating the cause of the symptoms. :/

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  29. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

If you can post the labs, there are some people here who are very good at reading them. I had 2 kidney cats and balance wasn't an issue.

Hard to buy fluids and a kit on a Sunday in Ontario. An ER vet clinic might sell you one at jacked-up prices. Then you could see if it helps.

Long term, you can order from somewhere like Stevens or Surgo or Sands. I spent a little more and ordered from Pets Drug Mart last time. Their shipping was fast.

30. MrWorfMen's Mom

I'm so sorry to hear Tribby's kidneys are failing but like Janet and Lyresa, I am not convinced that is what is causing this sudden onset of imbalance. Kidneys don't usually fail all of a sudden unless there was some toxic substance involved or a major infection/other major illness involved and if the labs were showing substantial kidney issues in Feb. such that complete failure were likely to occur within a few months, I'd expect the vet would have suggested subQ fluids back then. The sudden onset of this seems to suggest a potassium imbalance, vestibular problems or like Janet mentioned something neurological aside from diabetic neuropathy and the potassium would be the most likely if Tribby is still peeing copious amounts. I'd ask for copies of all the lab results from both Feb. and current blood draws for comparison. Yes Tribby is 15 yrs. old but it's not about age.....I have a 19 yr. old whose kidney values were first off a bit several years ago. Yes they have gotten worse but he's still with me and not on Sub Q fluids yet.

You can probably get the lactated Ringers at any pharmacy but likely need a prescription for the IV set up. I would however caution that if this is a case of low potassium, adding more fluid to Tribby's system may actually make the problem worse by flushing her system unless she is provided with a potassium supplement at the same time.

31. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

I will post the labs once I get them. Her potassium level was fine. That's what I was thinking it may be. I'm just concerned that she will hurt herself falling in the meantime. She's had severe Diarhhea since last October. We have tried many, many things to treat that and have had no luck.

32. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

Hi everyone. I have her labs. Could someone post them for me? I'm at work and have an older phone. I can forward them to an email.

33. MrWorfMen's Mom

@CassWTribby - I'll try to post them for you. I'm sending you a private message. Check for a little red number in the upper right hand corner of your screen in a few minutes.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  34. MrWorfMen's Mom

Cass, I only got the June report so I am posting it here. I sent you another private message asking about the Feb report so we have something for comparison. I don't see anything suggestive of kidney issues on the June report. Tribby's BUN is up slightly but Creatinine/SDMA are both OK. Tribby's RBC, Hemoglobin and Hematocrit are down and his WBC is top of normal so there may be something else going on but I don't think this is a kidney issue...maybe an infection but not failure. That said, I do not profess to be an expert on feline lab results but my human experience as an R.N. would make me want a second opinion.

Can someone else take a peak and see if I've missed something?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  35. Red & Rover (GA)

It would help tremendously if you could limit falls. Move everything to the floor and limit access to tables and counters.

To test for dehydration, you tent the scruff of the neck with your fingers, then let go. If the skin falls back into place almost immediately, then your cat is not dehydrated. If the skin takes more than, say, 2 or 3 seconds, then your cat is dehydrated. Also, you can run your finger along the cat's gum line. It should be moist and not dry or tacky. Adding water to wet food (you cannot add water to dry food) will help.

MJW and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  36. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

Would plain pedialyte given today help?

37. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

Her potassium is normal. I'm going to try normal pedialyte today. She is slightly dehydrated. I have been adding water to her food.

38. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

Unfortunately funds are very limited to be seeking another vet. My husband is on disability and I work as a nanny because I can take my young daughter with me. I've used this vet for years so he allows me to pay when I can if needed. A new vet will not offer that option.

39. MrWorfMen's Mom

Did your vet check Tribby's ears? I am wondering if Tribby could have an ear infection which could certainly play havoc with her balance. Her labs are such that an infection is a possibility. Is she on any other medication other than insulin? Any chance she chewed a toxic plant?

40. JanetNJ

The bun is elevated, but creatnine is normal. This could simply indicate dehydration. The kidneys aren't bad at all.
    IMG_4787.PNG
    She is however anemic! So get going on the b12 right away!!

The eosinophis levels are very high.... I've never seen that before.... This is what I saw when googleing that.

41. JanetNJ

Monocystis is your white blood cell count.... Did the vet give an antibiotic? It seems there could be an infection. Did he look in the ears? Ask about it!!!

Could also be wobbling from the anemia! It makes them weak!!!!!!

42. JanetNJ

Your cat doesn't have fleas does it? Allergic reaction to flea bites?

43. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

RBC 6.3 might suggest mild anemia. It might resolve with good eating, mike kitty has.

44. MrWorfMen's Mom

Here is a photo of the February labs I'm not sure if it will be legible or not. If not I will summarize it and post again.

There is no kidney function testing on this lab report for comparison. Is there another page they didn't send I wonder? Interestingly, it appears the CBC results, while not identical, do share some suggestions of an infection. With a history of chronic diarrhea, IBD seems a possibility and could be an explanation for at least some of the lab results.

Tribby lab photo.JPG

45. Red & Rover (GA)

Thanks for posting.

46. Red & Rover (GA)

I have to go offline for awhile. I'm recently out of hospital and have used up my "sitting" time. Hope the solution to the problem is simple.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  47. MrWorfMen's Mom

Here is a summary of the Feb. lab results as best I can see. The photo is a bit fuzzy in places.
    WBC -20.3 (high)
    RBC - 8.3 (normal)
    HGB - 11.3 (normal)
    HCT - 0.34 (normal)
    MCV - 41.0 (normal)
    MCH - 13.6 (normal)
    MCHC - 332 (normal)
    RDW - 23.2 (normal)
    Platelets - 337 (normal)
    Abs Neutrophils - 18.3 (high)
    Abs Lymphocytes - 0.6 (low)
    Abs Monocytes - 1.0 (high)
    Abs Eosinophils - 0.4 (normal)
    Abs Basophils - 0 (normal)

48. MrWorfMen's Mom

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  49. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

So Tribby has had about 40 ml pedialyte and some b12 sprinkled on her food. She is drinking and eating well. He did a full exam. She has had serious diarrhea IBS starting last October. She is on flagyl for her bowel. Also on prednisolone as well. Insulin too. We have tried many, many things for the diarrhea with no success. She was actually at the vet for treatment of the IBS when diabetes was discovered.
    She does not have fleas and has been recently dewormed at the start of the diarrhea. No parasites. She's an inside cat so toxic plants are not a concern.

50. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I was asked to look at the labs and provide some input.

Actually, I disagree with everyone who thinks the kidney levels are normal :) Sorry about that but the creatinine and the SDMA are at the upper end of the reference interval. This tells me she is potentially in Stage 2 of CKD or has acute renal failure (most likely CKD). Here is some info on CKD Staging in cats.

If you read IDEXX’s comments, it also specifically states:
    I say “potentially” because there can be other issues that can raise the creatinine but with the SDMA and the creatinine at the upper end of normal, it certainly raises a red flag for me. Having said that, I absolutely do not think this is what is causing her issues.

She is anemic; that is certain. Whether she is anemic enough to cause those symptoms, it’s hard to say. I had a cat at that level of anemia for years and he never had any symptoms but ECID. When we really get worried about anemia and need to add some “heavy guns” is when the hematocrit gets below 20%. That's not to say you don't need to get this figured out...you do because if she has GI bleeding, it must be addressed.

Because she’s got something going on wth her RBCs and Hemoglobin, there is definitely an issue. Perhaps internal bleeding? The low %reticulocytes indicates non-regenerative anemia (most common) but your vet is going to have to do some work to figure out why. Infection/inflammation of some sort can also cause non-regenerative anemia.

I think that is an absolute priority because it could be causing her issues. BTW....CKD (abnormal potassium levels comes to mind) can definitely cause these symptoms but we know that is not an issue here.

How was she diagnosed with IBD? Unless they did an ultrasound or biopsy and they are just assuming she has IBD because she has diarrhea, you don’t know for certain if her B12 levels are low. Usually, with IBD cats, they are and there are tests specifically to determine if B12 is low. A lot of vets give B12 shots without even checking to see if the B12 is low which is not harmful to the cat. B12 sprinkled on her food is not going to address intestinal issues. It needs to be given as an injection.

Did he actually check her blood pressure? IF a GI bleed was causing the anemia, her BP is likely low which can cause weakness. What color is her stools....ever see anything that looks black or like tar?

Have you ever tried Saccharomyces boulardii for the diarrhea? Here is some info you might want to read on IBD and stopping chronic diarrhea. Just scroll down until you get to the heading of "Saccharomyces boulardii”.

51. MrWorfMen's Mom

Thank you Marje! Glad we have you to clarify those lab results for us. I wish we had the BUN/SDMA/Creatinine from Feb. for comparison to see to what degree those values have changed but as you say, it's unlikely the current symptoms are a result of kidney function issues.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  52. Marje and Gracie

You're welcome!

53. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

Thanks for the reply. She had the diarrhea, gas, bowel noise and bowel pain which is why IBS was diagnosed. I tried human probiotics at the beginning for a few months with no success. It was not easy to get into her at all. The only local version of the one you recommended is Align. I have never seen blood in her feces but that does not mean it isn't there. If there is internal bleeding that would be my educated guess where it is. She has had many incidents of Diarhhea today even straining and producing nothing. I gave her prednisolone and flagyl tonight to hopefully ease any discomfort.

This has been going on for months now and of course I am willing to try something else but I do not want her to suffer. I have tried many different things, foods, meds, probiotics etc and nothing has helped so far. The pred and flagyl seem to alleviate her discomfort but do not stop the diarrhea. If the probiotic helps stop her diarrhea will the mobility issues disappear? Will I just be prolonging an inevitable end? I unfortunately have very limited funds to treat this with as well. She is in her mid to late teens also.
    It's a very hard decision to make with a beloved pet I would do anything to help.

54. Marje and Gracie

I think that the priority here is determining why she is anemic and what is causing her symptoms. She can't stay like she is.

Not all human probiotics are created equally. Some are much better than others and it depends on how many CFUs you are giving. If you are feeding foods with carrageenan and/or gums, you are likely exacerbating her issues.

I'm confused because when I think of a cat with motility issues, I think of one that has constipation. Personally, I'm not a fan of flagyl and you ha to be very careful with how you use it (dose) and for how long. It can cause neurological issues and while it is not the culprit with the anemia, it could cause her to have some of the symptoms she's having.

I'm not a vet so I can't tell you if you are prolonging an inevitable end. I don't know if she has something that is eminently fatal but IBD can be treated. You just haven't found the correct treatment for her yet. You might want to check out IBD Kitties and if you are on FB, there is a corresponding IBD Kitties group.

55. JanetNJ

Have you tried FortiFlora?

56. MrWorfMen's Mom

I think a very detailed conversation with your vet is in order. I'd want to know why he was suggesting the kidney values were the cause for the current inability to jump and poor balance and why he offered no suggestions other than sub q fluids which might help ease fluid loss from the diarrhea and any resulting dehydration but is unlikely to do anything for the new and currently most concerning symptoms. Tribby is not in end stage kidney failure according to those lab reports. How did the vet arrive at the diagnosis of IBS? In human terms, IBS and IBD are not one and the same even though they share many of the same symptoms. IBS tends to be idiopathic meaning there is no known cause while IBD refers to ulcerative colitis, Crohn's, Behcet's and a few others, all of which are auto-immune conditions. Her CBC was out of whack back in Feb and now suggests anemia. What does he think about those labs and what should be done to determine the cause?

I agree with Marje. IBS/IBD are treatable and whether there is something more ominous going on or not remains to be determined. Only the vet can shed more light on whether you are prolonging an inevitable end or not.

57. Red & Rover (GA)

58. Marje and Gracie

Fortiflora is not really a probiotic. It also has ingredients (animal digest) that can make intestinal issues worse. And it is made by Purina who has a terrible reputation for using bad ingredients. It’s one thing to use it for a topper to entice but there are sooooooo many better probiotics out there.

@Red & Rover (GA) Here is our video that we did for FDMB members on How to Give Subq Fluids at Home. Based on the comments we’ve gotten on YouTube, I believe it is probably one of the best, if not the best :p:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin: Hope you are starting to feel better, my dear. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squeakycats and Jill & Alex (GA) like this.
  59. Red & Rover (GA)

Thanks Marje. I didn't have a quick link for the video. I can now relate to and have great sympathy for panc cats.

60. Marje and Gracie

Very painful as I understand. Take care of you. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

61. JanetNJ

Ok.... I just know that it worked for my cat Julie who had diarrhea for two months. It stopped after 1 packet. If sure there are stronger ones.

62. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

What a horrible night! I bathed and put my daughter to bed at 8 pm then spent over 2.5 hours trying to find Tribby. I checked our entire house over and over again and outside as well in case she snuck out somehow while my husband was letting our dogs out. Just as I was about to give up and dissolve into panic there she was. Upstairs the whole time and wondering what all the fuss was about.

She did seem a bit perkier today after about 50 mls of pedialyte and a few doses of b12 mixed in her food. She's eating and drinking well and only had one incident of diarhhea overnight. She is now enclosed in her favourite rooms with food, water and a litter box and is safe from falls.

I am going to try sub q fluids - 100 ml at a time hopefully, and stopping the flagyl completely in hopes that it was the cause of her neurological issues. I'm going to continue with the b12 and try to get some s boulardi probiotic to start her on as well. If she's not improving at all or seems to be in distress after a few days then at least I tried. I'll continue BGT and insulin of course. I'm hoping to wean her off the prednisolone as I know it is hard on the kidneys.

Thanks for all the support. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions please post!

MJW and JanetNJ like this.
  63. JanetNJ

Sounds like a plan... Keep us updated!

64. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

I haven't read this thread through, so apologies if this has been covered. One of my old civvie cats had balance issues. he couldn't stand to pee and fell through the bannisters down the stairs as he couldn't walk straight. It turns out he had a huge ear infection. Is Tribby shaking his head a lot or pawing at his ears?

65. MrWorfMen's Mom

Don't you just hate it when they do that! Been there a number of times with my crew!

I really hope Tribby's mobility issues improve but if they don't I hope you will speak with your vet to discuss the problem in more detail. :)

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  66. Marje and Gracie

My kitten, Livia, is blue and she is little so she has all kinds of snuggy places where we can't find her. We call her the Ninja Kitten:joyful:

@MrWorfMen's Mom I bet Menace has given you a scare or two!!

A couple things:
    • If you don't know what you are treating (why she is anemic), you are shooting in the dark and could be wasting time, money, and giving her treatments that don't help. I know $ are tight but perhaps you can have the discussion about anemia with the vet and see what he thinks. Don't let him brush you off and say she isn't anemic. The hematocrit of a healthy cat should be above 36% and anything below 30% is anemic.
    • I am not a proponent of giving subq fluids unless your vet has indicated they are required or would help; 100 mls daily is what some cats in Stage 3/4 CKD get. There are several different kinds of fluids and it's not one size fits all. You must be very, very careful. Please check with your vet first.
    • If it feels me, I would ask my vet about B12 injections for intestinal issues.
    • I have had to give pred before; not my favorite but I don't worry about it being as hard on the kidneys as other organs. The thing is, if it hasn't stopped the diarrhea, maybe it's time to discuss something different with your vet. There is a different steroid called budesonide which is less systemic than pred and can help cats with diagnosed IBD. But, again, these things need to be done with your vet.
    I hope she continues to feel better.

67. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I read that you say there are no fleas. What about ticks? I don't know the area you are in. But all the vets in my area have put out notices that ticks are heavy this year and they are seeing animals daily with Lyme Disease. It's a far out possibility but possible.

68. MrWorfMen's Mom

That is a really good point. The tick problem is definitely escalating up here too and whether kitty goes out or not, it's something to consider.

69. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The reticulocyte count indicates that the bone marrow is NOT growing new RBCs in response to the anemia. That is can non-regenerative anemia.That can happen with severe kidney degradation but the Creatinine and SDMA values do not point to kidney problems being the cause of the non-regenerative anemia. It could be be due bleeding like internal or flies if it has very recently happened since it take a little time for the bone marrow to respond to anemia

70. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

Update: Tribby is doing better. Im almost afraid to say shes on the mend. She's eating very well and seems steadier this morning. Fingers crossed it continues!
    She's taking the probiotic twice daily. B12 once a day as its slow release. Her BGL have been closer to normal as well. I'm mixing the probiotic in pedialyte so that may be helpful as well. I'm planning on doing sub q fluids daily as soon as I get some Ringers fluid. The sodium chloride stings a bit. Long talk with my vet. He wants to see how this week goes and reasses her on the weekend. Sub q fluids, 100 ml daily, stop the flagyl, wean her off the prednisolone. I asked him to order some bude.
    She's an inside cat so I have never seem a tick on her. I groom her regularly so would have noticed one I hope. I'm debating put her on a liquid vitamin by Omega Alpha but may wait a bit. Good b vitamins are in it. She had a thorough exam including her ears on Saturday.

I'm taking her outside every day for a bit to wander and nibble some grass. We have lots of catnip this year too. I can send anyone some if you'd like some!
    Thanks everyone!

71. MrWorfMen's Mom

Wonderful news! Please do keep us posted! We worry about all the kitties and Beans who join us here!:joyful:

Even if you are just taking her out for a bit of a wander, it's possible she could pick up a tick and those things are so tiny they could be hard to detect even with regular grooming. It may seem a long shot but they are saying the tick problem is getting worse here so something to keep in mind if she hasn't recovered completely very soon. As for the catnip, I'm a bit jealous. I had to get my deck redone last fall and I fear the workmen trampled all mine. Luckily I have a stockpile of dried catnip to use until I get some new plants in the garden. :rolleyes:

72. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Good to hear improvement. Although you say she is indoors. You take her outside. Ticks just have to bite, not necessarly attach. If she walks in the grass or dirt, the legs, belly and tail are close to the ground. Just something to keep in mind.

73. Marje and Gracie

How are her poos?

BTW, I would also recommend that you give a "regular" probiotic in addition to the S. boulardii. You will want to keep her on the maintenance probiotic every day twice a day. You might also find that she will need the S. boulardii every day twice a day.

My one cat, Tobey, had giardia as a kitten and that puts him at risk for IBD. So I make sure he gets Renew Life Ultimate Adult 15b CFU twice a day and the S. boulardii at a very small dose twice a day. My kitten also gets the Renew Life Ultimate twice a day.

74. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

Morning everyone!! Tribby's mobility is much better! She even jumped up on the couch and can manage stairs. Still careful about falls though...
    Her Diarhhea is back though. Not as bad but there are still messes beside the litter box. NO blood as far as I can tell. I'm going to get a sample for a fecal test. See what's what. One of our rescued feral kitties has a swollen back leg so we are back to the vet sooner then later anyways.

Tribby is eating very well. Drinking well and sleeping on her regular bed again instead of the tree house bed. (a small house at the bottom). She's doesn't enjoy the pedialyte & s boulardii treatment twice a day but it is helping. Shes still getting b12 as well. I'm going to do some more research on foods and see if I can find something better for her bowel.
    Are there any probiotics that are yummy? I've tried a few normal ones and she will not eat them in her food. I have to syringe with fluids or make a capsule. She's getting very fed up with being forced to swallow things!
    After her pedialyte treatment she gave me the cold shoulder for over an hour last night.
    I got a good supplies of IV fluid and supplies so will do that as well.
    Any suggestions of general probiotics?
    Any suggestions of food for IBS? (and where you get it please, we are in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks again!
    Cass and Tribby

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  75. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

Urge! I'm so frustrated. Two days of improvement then arrive home to hear Tribby had explosive diarrhea again. Poor Kitty. I'm trying anything and everything but nothing seems to help. Has anyone tried a fecal transplant with healthy donor feces? Www.animalbiome.com.
    The good news is she seems to like getting sub q fluids. I gave her about 50 mls last night and she purred the entire time and lay quietly. She seemed to feel better after. Ate well then slept well. Much perkier this am aas well. I'm going to the vet tomorrow with another of my cats (sore leg) so she is coming along to get a b12 injection. Hope everyone is well.

76. MrWorfMen's Mom

Sorry to hear Tribby had another bout of diarrhea but glad to hear he is otherwise doing better. You asked about food available here in Ontario yesterday and I meant to suggest you post a separate thread entitled "food for IBS" or something similar to get some recommendations as there are a number of folks dealing with IBS who can probably give you some leads but they aren't going to necessarily see/read this post. The products available here are not as plentiful but we can still get a lot of the same foods as the US folks.

77. Marje and Gracie

The S. boulardii may not be as effective if her B12 levels are still low. She will nee B12 injections to correct that. Th B12 you sprinkle in her food will not do anything for low cyanocobalamin....it has to be injections. You usually give them at home once a week for eight weeks and then they check her B12 levels and may go to once a month.

Did you try the emergency stop with th S. boulardii instead of just twice a day?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.