Semi-remission w/ Jester

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by shelaghc, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

Preamble - Jester eats carbs. I can't get him off them. His regular foods are Friskies shreds - normally with a 13 to 14 level of carbs. But he's had a URI the last week and the only thing I can manage to get him to eat has been a slightly higher carb food - Friskies Tasty Temptations turkey and cheese at about 17.

Now the BG stuff:

While Jester's numbers aren't consistent with a legitimate remission, I haven't given Jester any insulin since Saturday night. Saturday morning his AMPS was low enough (136) that I skipped his dosage. His PMPS was around 180 and I felt comfortable giving him .25U. His +4 was about 170 so there shouldn't have been any concerns even though he hadn't eaten since about 1/2 hour before the injection.

Sunday morning his AMPS was 105 so no insulin. And frankly, I was pretty stunned. BG of 185 and +4 of 170 should have been plenty high enough to give a teensy little .25U without worry of what was going to happen overnight.

On Sunday I gave him two mid-cycles - one at +4 (non-fasting) and another at +9 (fasting) and he still never broke 150BG.

Frankly, I had no problem not even bothering with a PMPS and no insulin again.

Pre-bed was 213 so I figured this mini-honeymoon would be over in the AM and I'd be giving him that .25U once again.

Nope - his BG went down overnight and his AMPS - while not *terribly* low at 163 - was low enough that, after considering what happened Saturday night / Sunday morning, my sugar baby got no insulin again today. Since I can't monitor while I'm at work, no way was I risking him going too low during the day. Plus, I he ate just over 1/2 a can of food. Even though it's carby, it wasn't enough as far as I'm concerned. And I'd rather he go a little high.

I'll be very curious about his BG when I get home. We have an appointment this evening with the vet to try again to figure out why he keeps losing weight despite eating far more than he would need.

And FTR, I'm pretty persistent with him about food Even with the URI, I've been able to get close to (and last night more than) two cans of food in him per day.

Fingers crossed for us, please with that vet visit. I can't take much more of him losing weight....

2. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Hoping for a positive check up & answers to your questions!! Go Jester with such great numbers for momma! Cheering you both on from miles away...paws crossed

3. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Tina and Gracie (GA) Member

Hoping vet visit went okay. Update us when you can.

4. shelaghc

PMPS was 155. No insulin tonight just in case.

Vet checked Jester's temp - no fever - and took some blood for a complete CBC along with, I think, a test for feline leukemia just in case.

Jester also got an injection of Cerenia for appetite - which seems like it may be working, although I've gotten him to eat in the evenings without it.
    One way or another, he's eaten about a full can already tonight of carby foods and I've just given him more. Considering he didn't eat even a half a can before I left for work this morning, I'm hoping to get as much as possible into his tummy before I go to bed tonight.

The blood sample for testing went out tonight and they'll get the results tomorrow.

Vet wants to do an x-ray on Saturday to check for possible tumors in Jester's lungs - depending upon what the results are of the blood tests.

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Let us know when you get the results from the vet.

Tina and Gracie (GA) likes this.
  6. shelaghc

AMPS was higher - 193.
    BG but I just don't want to take any chances.
    I thought he'd be okay on Saturday when his BG was 186.
    No insulin.

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.