Sergei -(Big Sur) update

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sergei Waddell, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sergei Waddell

Sergei Waddell Member

So after a few day's Ser's paw is still tender. He will however let us have a closer look, and it does appear to have some irritation going on there. He is getting around better but still favoring it.

More importantly - his appetite has remained pretty normal, and he has not vomitted at all. He is eating his wellness canned 2x's/day, and top's it off with a little Anova dry. The past few days he has also been getting a wee bit of chicken baby food as a treat mid-day. We figure it couldn't hurt to try to get his weight/strength back up after Friday's hypo.

Most importantly - he has been OTJ since Friday and his bg has remained healthy - 104 this afternoon.

My concern today is that he has not had a bm in 4 days. Considering Friday's episode bg=19 +2.5, is this unusual? Also, he is swallowing "hard" like and every once in awhile doing the "lip licking" (like a sore throat ?). Maybe the original huge hair ball really did some sore damage?

2. weeble

weeble Member

That's actually not good. The lip-licking usually indicates nausea. My cats always had the opposite problem, but I know that there's a couple people on here that have mentioned 2 medicines--Mirilax is one and I forget the other. This reply will bump you to the top and hopefully someone experienced in this "area" will pop by.

I've always heard pumpkin recommended, but obviously, for a diabetes-prone cat, this may not be the best answer.

Good luck!

3. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

After 3 days a cat can get VERY VERY sick from constipation - trust me - we ran our cat to the ER one night and much $$ and anguish later we realized how quick it can be. I would advise getting your cat to the VET asap - now I have not read your previous posts so maybe you just got back from the vet or something - but if your cat has not pooped in 4 days - this could get critical fast. Pumpkin does work but it takes days - same with laxtalous which you can get from the Vet - at this point the cat might need an enema - not fun but could be the only answer.
    Our cats both now take a small dose of metimucil in their food every morning - just a sprinkling - we used to give the raw pumpkin (not pie mix actual pumpkin) but since the diabetes with Robbie it's not something we wanted to keep adding to his food. The lip licking is probably upset stomach - if the cat starts rolling around on the ground or pulling it's back legs up or straining badly at the liter box - call your Vet.
    Hope this helps and I don't mean to sound alarmed but we almost lost Robbie but not taking constipation that seriously and I learned a hard lesson. Please let us know how things go.

4. Sergei Waddell

Sergei Waddell Member

Re: Sergei -(Big Sur) update - GOOD NEWS

Great news actually -
    So with Ser's ailing paw, I had been carrying him downstairs a few times/day to try to coerce him to use the pan - and for 4 days - only pee'd. This morning he voluntarily surprised us - ran down, pee'd, poo'd, came back up stairs - poo'd on the floor, then ran back down and poo'd in the pan again....all in a matter of a few minutes. YEAAHHH! His attitude is really turning around too. He is starting to act like his mischievous self once again. YEAAAHHHH!!!

His diet is - Wellness wet - 1 to 2 tbls 2xday mixed with water(a tip I picked up on this site), plus anova dry left in his bowel so he doesn't get famished mid-day when he is alone. This has been his diet for 2-3 yrs since first being diagnosed 'diabetic', which I have to again emphasize that I don't especially agree with. He and his sister haven't been as interested in the dry food, and I'm thinking that it is too hard. Any recommendations for a dry food that we can leave out that is high in protein, but softer?

5. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

Great news that he pooped! Sometimes we are so easy to please!

6. weeble

weeble Member

Oh, man. I wish I had your problem. My cat's strung out on the dry. We're in a months-long stand-off...

If your cats don't like the dry, I would just get rid of it altogether. They act like they're starving, but they're not. You can try 3 times a day instead of 2 with the canned if you're worried about them being hungry. The other thing you can do is get those food balls and stick some freeze dried treats or something similar in there--that way they can work for snacks throughout the day.

Honestly, the dry is more trouble than it's worth. If you can shake it now, you definitely should.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.